Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: wl500g dead, dead, dead... Or not ?

Hi,
    Asus has posted a new version of "Asus utility". There is no history file in the package, thus i do not know what is new, but it is worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean
    My WL-500g suddenly won't give any access and every 10 seconds all lights go off and back on (restarting). At that time network traffic is broken (for lets say 2 seconds), and then i am talking about ethernet traffic and not wireless because wireless does not work at all. It is since new firmware is installed or it has a hardware problem. Actually it is exactly like the problem of a previous post.
    The AIR light also doesn't come on and the router is not seen by the discover utility. Web access or pinging to 192.168.1.1 also doesn't work so i can't see what is going on. I have the option to bring it back but i can't stand not knowing whats going on. Does anyone have a clue ?
    you should recover it then: press the restore button, then connect power to the device. after doing that the Power led begins to flash, start the recovery procedure from your pc and everything should be fine after finishing

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Wl-500g dead?

My last thread seemed to disappear, maybe it was because of a misunderstanding and som whine from my side.

Back to what was in it.

Changed some settings in my wl500g from the web interface and it died. The lights are lit and so on but I can't connect to it anymore.

I started with just trying to reset settings to default with the button on the back. Without any success. From what I understood from the manual I was going to hold it in for 5 seconds until pwr started flashing. Then it was restored. Well it didn't help me.

So I tried to restore it with firmware restoration, but I can't, until I hold the reset button so pwr starts flashing. I restored with several firmwares, but still can't reach it.

Interesting is that when I use a static ip for pinging it, I sent 130 pings to it and 4 of them got reply! So strange, why just 4 of them? When I hold the reset button until pwr starts flashing I can ping it without any problems, but no webinterface and so on.

What am I doing wrong, and why did it die, I just changed some settings in the webinterface?

I can't tell which settings it were though, cause it was a friend of mine who played around with it.

ehm no.. troubles with the thread table at the database.. vbulletin3 does not seem to be stable enough i'll fix soon a cron that will check everyday and fixes the database, so those errors would not appear anymore (hopefully)

sorry for the troubles..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

anyway.. try downgrading to a lower firmware.. try 1.6.5.3 for example that one did the trick for me a while ago

older firmwares can be found at http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/firmware

Already tried that one :/
    What can have happened, and how should I fix it? It's very strange.
    Went and bought an used ap+802.11a pci card for 30€ supporting a/b/g so I got some wlan at least.

have you tried version 1.1.3.3 too?
    maybe we should have a firmware which only restores nvram at time of booting back to safe values.
    maybe someone has time to fix this
    Last edited by Antiloop; 17-06-2004 at 09:35.

Yes, seems nvram settings are bad. I will try prepare minimal firmware which just brings up LAN & starts telnet...

Try this firmware. Once started it's ifups wired LAN iface, set it to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and launchs telnetd. No password required to access it. You need to setup your PC with static address, something like 192.168.1.2. Try to telnet to wl500g, to check it's booted. After that you could examine your nvram using "nvram show".

I will try it now, thank you all for being so helpful.

I tried now, the router boots and I can telnet to it. When I write nvram show I see a lot of settings for the router. Don't really know what to look for. Tried to install a newer firmware after this without success.

Ok. At least it's alive. ;-) You need to look thru it to find something unusual using
    Code:
    nvram show|more
    or try this one to reset to defaults:
    Code:
    nvram_x default
    after that you should be able (i've not verified this) to install regular firmwares

I'll try that one then.

IT WORKS IT WORKS.

I don't know how to thank you. But I really appreciated this.
    Thank You

Maybe we should add the restoration firmware to the others.

//Adam.

So, nvram_x default did the trick?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast