Thread: Internet Security

Internet Security

I'm curious of a security feature when using the wl500g:

I normally run "norton internet security 2005", and when performing the symantec online security check (or any others, shields-up etc..), I get report back that the system is secure and stealth.

Now, then I disable my security software and run the same checks - with the same safe result.

I have enabled, but not tweaked, "internet firewall"/basic config within the wl500g.

Does this mean that you don't need any software firewall on the PC when just behind a router like the wl500g?
    Last edited by tonia; 02-11-2005 at 21:36.

The firewall on your computer will protect your computers against attacks from pc's in your LAN. The WL-500g will stop any unwanted traffic from the internet.

offtopic: NIS....crappy piece of software!

I'm not a friend of any software firewall, tho for a non-experienced user they CAN be easier to handle. Plus they automatically check OUTGOING traffic and (should ) ask for user's permission.

But the router with firewall in my eyes is the better choice ... not at last for the reason that any packet hits the firewall first, then your PC. With a software firewall it's already on your PC when the firewall steps in.

If you have any questions regarding the config of your wl500g (e.g. how to block outgoing traffic) I'm sure you'll find help in these forums.

So I can uninstall my NIS2005, and the firewall within the wl500g is just as powerful? Or I have to configure it more to be just as powerful as NIS2005?

Like TheEagle says: The router firewall does not check outgoing traffic, that's a plus for NIS, but ZoneAlarm is a much better firewall then NIS.

The Asus firewall will protect you agains port-scans, worms and sort of virusses. But when you download a virus (e.g. e-mail) then the Asus firewall will not help you!

Therefore it is best practice to run a virusscanner and firewall on your pc as well as enabling the firewall on your router.

May I add that it's not always the best choice to have two firewalls? If you run into problems with some "internet software" not working it can be hard for a "novice level user" to determine where the problem comes from. Especially since I know disabling ZoneAlarm (for example) doesn't DISABLE it as you would expect, but it won't let pass traffic then at all ( at least the last time I tried, been some time ).

It's always your choice how much security you need, but then again I for myself know how to help myself in the worst case scenario. If you don't, then yes better keep your NIS (or other software firewall) AND the router firewall. A virus scanner is a MUST HAVE anyway.