Thread: 1.7.5.6-2 firmware and Printing from Mac OS X 10.3.3

1.7.5.6-2 firmware and Printing from Mac OS X 10.3.3

A question for any mac users out there..

I am trying to print from an Apple iBook G4 connected to the w500g router (w/ mac os x 10.3.3 installed) to a Brother HL-1430 laser printer connected to the router's usb port (ASUS 1.7.5.6 firmware), following the advice from asus' support pages (connect via IP printing > LPD/LPR, name the print queue LPRServer). I can't make it work either with the HL-1250 printer drivers (from linuxprinting.org) or with the built-in 'generic' driver - it prints at most (lots of) white pages.

Then I tried Oleg's 1.7.5.6-2 firmware, with the the new printserver driver. But it doesn't seem to work at all - although REJ has confirmed the printer to work with the new firmware- this makes me think I am doing something wrong :-/ - but what?

Oleg wrote:
    In order to use new printing facility from Windows you will need to change the port seetings to use "Raw" protocol instead of "LPR" and specify port number for the port. Use 9100 for printer connected to the LPT port or 9101 for USB connection.

Does anyone know the equivalent for this in the Mac OS X 10.3.3 Printer Setup Utility? Do I still need to name the printer queue "LPRServer" although its now "Socket/HP Jet Direct"??

Also, what driver will work? the usb printer driver delivered from Brother is not available when I try to connect via IP, only the various open source ones (GIMP-print, foomatic, etc.)... There are linux 'network' drivers available from Brother - could one of those be modified for Mac (by a obviously non-tech person like me)?

Regards, Token.
    Last edited by Token; 03-05-2004 at 19:27.

Try googling for MacOS X Jet Direct. That I've found

Open print center, option-click on Add Printer, choose Advanced. Under Device,
    choose AppSocket/HP JetDirect. Under Device URI, type in your printer's IP
    address after "socket://".
    For usb printer you should enter socket://192.168.1.1:9101 I think.

If this works for you please post the instructions to the how-to forum.

Unhappy no luck

I found the hl1250 driver with a modified PPD file for the HL-1430 at linuxprinting.org and used Oleg's info - with limited succes: the printer seems to receive the file, whirs shortly, then-- nothing happens..