Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware to use wl300g as client

Firmware to use wl300g as client

Hi,
    I just got a new ap (belkin pre-n) an i want to use my old ASUS WL300g as a client i the wifi network. (Insted of bying a wifi game adaptor). Is there any firmware that supports this on wl300g? Also I wounder if it is possible to use a wl500g firmware or if that would turn my wl300g into a brick?

At the moment only custom firmware support this. Visit this page to get one: http://oleg.wl500g.info/

Thanx for the fast reply. I will try to flash WL300g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx can I use ASUS tools to downgrade to erlier fw ver?

Sure, firmware restoration tool does not care of versions.

Almost working....

Now I have upgraded my router using the custom fw WL300g-1.9.2.7-3c.trx. But I still have some problem getting it to work. My setup in the ASUS router is AP and bridge mode. If i run my WiFi net work as open i get a connection to the belkin router and i get a ipaddress on my ASUS router from DHCP on Belkin. But if i try to set upp security on my WiFi net it breaks down. My ASUS just keeps saying connecting.... I have tried to use WPA-PSK / TKIP and also WPA-PSK / AES but none of them works. I have surfed the forum for info on how to trubbleshoot this from linuxconsole to get more info but it didn't make me any smarter (I'm no linux guru ) I use cut and paste from USB Stick on my settings so I'm sertin that the passphrase is correct. Do you have any tips for me on how to continue?

Have you tried WEP? Most likely you've some sort of incompatibility with belkin device...

Have done some more testing now.

Currently using fw WL300g-1.9.2.7-4.trx (Saw that you released WL300g-1.9.2.7-5.trx but have not flashed it yet).

I was able to do the following:

1. Open system is working - Router joins the "MyWifiNet" automaticly on boot.
    2. WEP 64bit is working - Router joins the "MyWifiNet" automaticly on boot.
    3. WEP 128bit is working - Router joins the "MyWifiNet" automaticly on boot.
    4. WPA-PSK partualy working - Router logg is saying connecting to MyWifiNet on boot but nerver succeds in joining after boot. If i telnet to the router an write the following command
    Code:
    wl join "MyWifiNet" imode bss amode wpapsk
    it joins correctly and everything works fine. I can do with this but my girlfriend is not telnet friendly so I need to fix this. She keeps nagging. I never shutoff the router an it only seems to need a reboot when I'm not at home. Any suggestions?

this is my set up

[xbox] <-x-> <[ASUSWL300G]> <<<wifi>>> <[BelkinPRE-N]> <---> {internet}

ok, this seems should fix WPA-PSK in the client mode. I will prepare test firmware for you.

btw, could you please run
    Code:
    nvram get wl0_auth_mode
    nvram get wl0_join
    and post results? You may need to remove your PSK key.

I will do that as soon as I get home from work :-)

btw
    I'm using bridgemode to connect (forgot to write that) now.

this is my set up.

[xbox] <-crossoverkabel-> <[ASUSWL300G]> <<<wifi>>> <[BelkinPRE-N]> <-networkcabel-> {internet ADSL2+}
    Last edited by miraculix; 09-05-2005 at 10:38.

I was browsing around in the wl500g howto forum an read about some post-boot script. Would this be a possible workaround?

Code:
    echo "wl join "MyWifiNet" imode bss amode wpapsk" >> /usr/local/sbin/post-boot

flashfs save
    flashfs commit
    flashfs enable
    My ASUS setup
    [xbox] <-crossovercabel-> <[ASUSWL300G]> ((((wifi)))) <[BelkinPRE-N]> <-networkcabel-> {internet ADSL2+}

Quote Originally Posted by miraculix
    I was browsing around in the wl500g howto forum an read about some post-boot script. Would this be a possible workaround?

Code:
    echo "wl join "MyWifiNet" imode bss amode wpapsk" >> /usr/local/sbin/post-boot

flashfs save
    flashfs commit
    flashfs enable
    Your post-boot should look like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    nvram set wl0_join="wl join MyWifiNet imode bss amode wpapsk"
    This way it should even reconnect automatically.

Ok when I get home I will try that also!

I've attached my settings save file if that is to any help for U
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by miraculix; 09-05-2005 at 12:44.
    My ASUS setup
    [xbox] <-crossovercabel-> <[ASUSWL300G]> ((((wifi)))) <[BelkinPRE-N]> <-networkcabel-> {internet ADSL2+}

Well, I'm home from work and continuing!
    I started with a firmware update to the latest 1.9.2.7-5 firmware. Tried a reboot to see if it magicly started to work. But no still the same.
    Checked the two commands you asked about and this is the printout
    Code:
    [admin@(none) root]$ nvram get wl0_auth_mode
    none
    [admin@(none) root]$ nvram get wl0_join
    wl join "MyWifiNet" imode bss amode open
    I think you have found the problem but what do i do about it?

Also i tried to find the /usr/local/sbin/post-boot file to check what it says but I could not find it i do not even have a /usr/local/sbin katalog. should i create one and put the file in it?

Thanx for the help also I saw the now commandline interface in the webgui it works nicely for input but i do not get any output??!!??
    My ASUS setup

Quote Originally Posted by miraculix
    I think you have found the problem but what do i do about it?

Also i tried to find the /usr/local/sbin/post-boot file to check what it says but I could not find it i do not even have a /usr/local/sbin katalog. should i create one and put the file in it?
    Create directory and post-boot according to samples on my page.
    Thanx for the help also I saw the now commandline interface in the webgui it works nicely for input but i do not get any output??!!??
    Press Refresh instead of enter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast