Thread: [Q] Lost, which guides should I follow?

[Q] Lost, which guides should I follow?

Hello!
    I found an ASUS WL-500gP (The box says it is an ASUS WL-500g Premium) and I searched around google and found that this router has a lot of potential.
    However I am kinda lost, I do not know which custom firmware should I flash, should I flash dd-wrt or openwrt or oleg's firmware?

I would like to do the following if it helps you pointing me to the right direction:
    -Torrent Downloading/Uploading
    -USB HDD File Sharing so I can access my HDD's files through the network via the router's USB port
    -FTP/HTTP downloading
    -Magic Packet/Wake on LAN via Internet. I had a NETGEAR router and I couldn't set it to work via the Internet even if I had a DynDNS account, it wouldn't forward the packet to my computer. I read around that open-wrt or dd-wrt gives you the ability to do that. (Via the LAN it worked flawlessly).

I read this guide but it's kinda old, it has not been updated since 10-11-2011 and wengi the OP said at the start of his tutorial:
    Please use, if your hardware is supported, the "enthusiast firmware".
    More details later.
    and on the posted link the hosted firmware files are much newer.

Please can you point me to the right direction? Should I follow the guide I mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by MariosX View Post
    Please can you point me to the right direction? Should I follow the guide I mentioned?
    Welcome!
    1.) Use Enthusiast Firmware for your Router. Consider, there is a difference between WL500gP V1 and V2.
    The firmware is up to date and stable.
    2.) Use Wengis HowTo, it is still valid.

In case you want to have a very modern system, you can install "entware" instead of "optware"
    The Optware part is included in wengi's howto.
    Entware is here: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/

Just ask when you are in need.
    HTH Newbiefan
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Welcome!
    1.) Use Enthusiast Firmware for your Router. Consider, there is a difference between WL500gP V1 and V2.
    The firmware is up to date and stable.
    2.) Use Wengis HowTo, it is still valid.

In case you want to have a very modern system, you can install "entware" instead of "optware"
    The Optware part is included in wengi's howto.
    Entware is here: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/

Just ask when you are in need.
    HTH Newbiefan
    Sorry for the late reply, I really hope you or somebody which still reply.
    I started configuring Oleg today and I'm at the part 6. IPKG
    From what I see this the part I install optware right? so how do I install entware? any guide?
    Last edited by MariosX; 28-07-2014 at 16:36.