I am not sure that I understand the terms "ethernet bridge" and "station" as used by Asus. I looked at everything in this site, and I read the manual (really), but I was still confused. Finally, the manual for my old Linksys access point helped me to my limited understanding. Can someone tell me if the following is correct. If it is, it might be helpful to other newcomers.

STATION:

The Linksys AP has a mode called "access point client", and I think that this is essentially the same as the Asus "station" mode. The access point client wirelessly seeks to connect to a particular remote access point.

ETHERNET BRIDGE:

The Linksys AP has a mode called "wireless bridge", and I think that this is essentially the same as the Asus "ethernet bridge" mode. Its classic use is to create a bridge between two networks. Imagine two WL-500gx's each with a wired LAN attached. WL-500gx One is set up to search for WL-500gx Two as in the above station mode and vice versa. That is, it is a symmetric relationship between two access point clients which seek each other.

So far, then, it seems that the Asus ethernet bridge and station modes are essentially the same, at least as far as each individual WL-500gx is concerned. Indeed, that is why several people have said here that we can use either the ethernet bridge mode or the station mode when we are trying to make the WL-500gx function as an access point client. There may be differences between these two modes---there are in the Linksys AP---but they do not affect the use of a WL-500gx as a client.

SETTING UP AN ACCESS POINT CLIENT:

This also confused me, but here is my current view, and it might even be correct. Suppose that everything is on the same subnet (say, 192.168.1.x) and that the WL-500gx is in station mode.

The station has to specify the remote access point to which it wants to connect, and it also has to establish its own IP address on the subnet. The former is done with the SSID and MAC address of the remote access point. I am not sure that both are needed; however, if they are, it is not a bad idea. In any event, the input of these two specifications is confusing. I sort things out by mental relabeling: wherever it says "WAN" I think "Desired remote access point", and in place of "Home Gateway" I think "Access Point Client" (but only in station mode). The input of the IP address of the client is not a problem: input it where it asks for the LAN address, in my case 192.168.1.247.

That's it. I hope that you will correct my errors, clarify where clarification is needed, and add things that I have left out. For example, I have said nothing about DHCP and gateways.