Thread: Question about MAC cloning and client mode on WL500G

Question about MAC cloning and client mode on WL500G

Hello
    I have been searching forums here for info, found some, but didn't worked for me.
    I would like to politely ask you if anyone can help me or give some advice. I have to tell I'm not any Linux guru, i'm sorta end user.

First problem - client mode.
    I have my and my neibourghs LAN like that on attachement sit1.gif

I connect to my ISP by WLAN by Ethernet convertor. Then I'm using 3Com gateway to clone MAC adres, DHCP server to provide IP adreses into whole LAN. I have firewall opened from inside fro all clients for all ports. I have 2 PCs conencted directly to gateway LAN ports, Asus WL500G on third LAN port. That asus serves as AP for others. There it is switched now as Hybrid mode. Now other 2 Asuses WL500g are connected there by WDS. Each of them serves as switch wirellesly connected to AP.

Now I would like to change WDS connection to client - so each of "client" 500g are conected as clients to main AP. Please how can I switch it on?

I found some post from you Oleg to do that:
    Set mode to AP only, set Extended mode to Ethernet bridge and set Operation mode to home Gateway. I did all that, left all other options intact (and later tried Automatic IP and Static IP as well). But after restart im unable to find Asus with Asus tool. I have to reset whole unit to defaults and then configure again.
    As I tested, it seems to me that 500G is waiting for IP adres, but on WAN port, not on WLAN. So when wl500G dont get that IP on WAN, only possibility for me is to reset it.
    Is there any way to set client mode in my configuration please? If yes, please can anyone help me how to set it up?

And now second problem. Let's see attachement sit2.gif

Now I want to do a little similar network to my other neibourghs. I will use Asus 330b as receiver from ISP in client mode. Then I would like to try to use Asus 500g as AP and have MAC adres on WAN port cloned (only one predefined will be seen on WAN port). Then other 330b clients will connect to that AP.
    I have studied all menus in 500G configuration, but I have only found one place - In home Gateway mode I can somewhat set up in IP config/WAn and LAN set up MAC adres in Special Requirement fields form ISP. When I set up some MAC adres here, will it be that only visible MAC adres on WAN port? So is it cloned? Or I have to set it up somehow different?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Khostri; 16-09-2005 at 19:54.