Thread: Use any AP with WL 500G Deluxe?

Use any AP with WL 500G Deluxe?

Hi there,

i am really close to bying myself a WL 500G Deluxe. I have studied several pages here but haven't found a satisfying answer. Probably because i am a total bleeding NEWBIE to WLAN.
    I bought a Netgear WGT634U several months ago and i am very dissappointed with this piece of crap. I need to know if i can use the WL 500G with a repeater(AP)? The netgear router does not support this kind of feature. I was thinking about a combination WL 500G deluxe as my main DSL Router and a WL 330G as an AP. Will that work?

Hoping for some Help!!

regards

bleedingnewbie

Please descrive your config in more details. As, both units should work in the AP mode with WDS... Did you mean, that wl330g should be in client mode, i.e. connecting your pc by the means of ethernet?

Hi Oleg,

thanks for replying. I have the following situation. I want to use WLAN in my house. At the moment my router is in the 3rd floor and i cannot use my laptop in the basement or garden. Therefore i need a Repeater (is that what they are called? or is it AP?) to transfer the WLAN signal a bit further.

WL 500G Deluxe would be connected to my ISP
    WL 330G repeating the WLAN signal from WL 500G

regards

bleedingnewbie

Maybe this diagramm can clear things up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bleedingnewbie; 31-08-2005 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedingnewbie
    Hi there,

i am really close to bying myself a WL 500G Deluxe. I have studied several pages here but haven't found a satisfying answer. Probably because i am a total bleeding NEWBIE to WLAN.
    I bought a Netgear WGT634U several months ago and i am very dissappointed with this piece of crap. I need to know if i can use the WL 500G with a repeater(AP)? The netgear router does not support this kind of feature. I was thinking about a combination WL 500G deluxe as my main DSL Router and a WL 330G as an AP. Will that work?

Hoping for some Help!!

regards

bleedingnewbie
    Wireless APs appear to work more successfully together when they are from the same manufacturer. e.g. I couldn't get Wl500gx to bridge with a USR 9106 but it works ok with a Belkin. They both must at least have WDS