Thread: Windows network in LAN and WAN

Windows network in LAN and WAN

I have an old computer (win xp) that is used as a gateway an I use ICS to share internet. But I have some problems. The PC is losing connection to internet every 1 or 2 hours. So I am trying to use the wl500gx as a gateway, but then 1 PC can't connect to internet and windows network, because he is on the WAN side. I can do this with an PC gateway, but as I said it isn't very stable. WL500gx is on another location than the PC gateway and I wouldn't like to use another cable to connect that user, but I would like to use the WAN cable as I did with the PC gateway.

I think that I read somewere on the forum copule of monts ago how to do this, but I can't fiind that thread. I think it had something to do with routing.

So, could someone help me with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dejay
    I have an old computer (win xp) that is used as a gateway an I use ICS to share internet. But I have some problems. The PC is losing connection to internet every 1 or 2 hours. So I am trying to use the wl500gx as a gateway,
    So far, it makes sense....

but then 1 PC can't connect to internet and windows network, because he is on the WAN side.
    Why? So no gateway after all?

[quote]I can do this with an PC gateway[quote]
    Do what?

... but as I said it isn't very stable. WL500gx is on another location than the PC gateway
    So you are not using the WL500gx to replace the PC with ICS?

and I wouldn't like to use another cable to connect that user
    That user...

but I would like to use the WAN cable as I did with the PC gateway.
    So why don't you? Plug "that user" in a LAN port as well... What's it with the WAN port?

I think that I read somewere on the forum copule of monts ago how to do this
    If I could figure out what you wanted to do, I might be able to help...

I think it had something to do with routing.
    Seriously dude...

So, could someone help me with this.
    Unless you get the story in your head written down in a comprehensable way, I'm out!

Realize that the users on this forum don't know jack about how many PC's you're trying to connect with how many cables. Please be thorough in your explanation. Ask yourself the question if naive readers understand what you want to do.

I think I understand at least a little bit - you believe there are WAN cables and LAN cables, which belong to WAN and LAN ports respectively - don't you? But in fact, those cables are all equal and you can plug them in both LAN and WAN ports.

However, correct setup should look this way:

Internet
    |
    cable/ADSL modem
    |
    WAN Port
    .. Asus ..
    LAN Ports
    | | | |
    | | | PC4
    | | PC3
    | PC2
    PC1

Asus has 4 LAN ports. If you wish to connect more than 4 computers, you will have to use some ethernet switch. But always connect the client machines to LAN ports only. The WAN port is used to connect the whole network to Internet, at least in the gateway mode. You can also setup Asus to work in router mode, but I believe that in fact this is not what you really want

The WAN port can be used for connecting the PC only in "pure" AP mode, in which case there are no WAN features available. Anyways, don't care about the cables, care about the ports

My network looks like this:

ADSL modem
    |
    PC router win xp (3 LAN cards -> bridge) ---- PC1
    |
    |
    wl500gx (ap mode) - WLAN
    |
    |
    PC2
    ------------------------------------

But I would like something like this:

ADSL modem
    |
    PC win xp (3 LAN cards -> bridge) ---- PC1
    |
    |
    (WAN)
    wl500gx (gateway mode) - WLAN
    |
    PC2
    --------------------------------------

I would like to connect "PC win xp" and "PC1" to windows network (PC2 and WLAN users) and to connect them to internet through wl500gx. I think that what I need is to bridge LAN and WAN ports, but I'm not sure.

Why don't I connect another cable to the "PC win xp"?
    Well, I already have one UTP cable and a cable for cable TV and I wouldn't like to lay another cable through my appartment. WL500gx is placet by the window so that WLAN users can connect, but my ADSL modem is by the entrance door which is about 15m away form the WL500gx and that "PC1" is my next door neighbour.

So is the "bridge LAN and WAN" the right solution - if it is can it be done.

If I were you, I'd do it like this (is the best solution imo: you use the WL500Gx what it is used for). This way, your neighbour, the PC2 and the WinXP and WLAN clients are on the local network and you can use the WL500Gx in gateway mode. I have the same setup. Works flawless.

ADSL Modem
    |
    |wan
    WL500Gx-------PC1 (neighbour)
    | |
    | WinXP
    |
    |15m?
    |
    |
    PC2

if you look on your desired setup, you see, that 500g need to talk over WAN port using PPPoE and standard tcp/ip concurrently. If you don't have DSL, and just need two separate networks, this could work. I'm not sure about combining PPPoE and standard tcp/ip connection. It could work too, but forget web interface for configuration. just check man page of ifconfig, or what is used on our nice box ;-)

you should really reconsider, what do you want to do. you can still use 2 wlan routers to skip laying another cable. it works fine.

I think I found the solution to my problem. I think that all I have to do is connect cable from adsl modem to lan port of the wl500gx and then connect another lan port to wan port, this should make the pppoe work, and then the network should work in the same way as it works now.

But I still have to try this.