Thread: Wireless showing intermittent behaviour on WL500g

Wireless showing intermittent behaviour on WL500g

Hi,
    I've got the latest firmware (but the same problem happened with older, like 1.8xxx, etc) and am using WPA-PSK for the wireless part.
    While I get a perfect connection on all computers connected to the wired lan at all times, on the wireless side most of the time the connection is just fine (close to 54Mbps all the time everywhere around the house), but every few minutes it dies for about 1 minute, and then comes back on.

In principle this would be fine, but it's a real pain if you're trying to stream live content off the web (Web TV between 256Kbps and 1Mbps). Even if it only died for 5 seconds, that would be enough to spoil a steady stream.

Since this happens with different computers with different wireless adapters, and it doesn't happen on the wired side, I take it the problem is in the router's wireless connection. How can I solve this?

cheers

correction

Actually, the wired connection is showing the same behaviour. Every once in a while my internet connection dies, and it only comes back on after restarting the router.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Help would be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by filipe
    Actually, the wired connection is showing the same behaviour. Every once in a while my internet connection dies, and it only comes back on after restarting the router.

The things that come to mind are:

- Is your router getting too hot?
    - Do you have a webcam connected to the router? (mine takes too much bandwidth/cpu time)

Smells like it's the infamous WAN problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    The things that come to mind are:

- Is your router getting too hot?
    - Do you have a webcam connected to the router? (mine takes too much bandwidth/cpu time)

Thanks for your reply mate. No, it doesn't get hot, and I don't have a webcam connected (do have a usb printer though).

As I keep using it, I'm more and more convinced it must be the WAN problem - which as I said before, only happened once in a while when I had firmware 1.8xxx.
    But 3 days ago I upgraded to the latest 1.9.xxx and it's unbearable, the connection freezes every 10 minutes or so of intense web traffic (I'm on a 2Mbps ADSL connection).
    Already tried what's been suggested in other threads - i.e. changed the bandwidth from Auto to 10full, 100full, etc but to no avail.

I've had the router for about 1 year, and until recently it was only slightly annoying, but now it's getting VERY disturbing.

Suggestions anyone? (other than buying a non-Asus router...)

But 3 days ago I upgraded to the latest 1.9.xxx and it's unbearable, the connection freezes every 10 minutes or so of intense web traffic (I'm on a 2Mbps ADSL connection).
    Does your firewall log accepted / discarded packets ? If so, disable logging.

JF

Which firewall?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Fabrice
    Does your firewall log accepted / discarded packets ? If so, disable logging.

JF
    Do you mean the router's firewall? I keep that set to "Logged packets type: NONE".

Wireless showing intermittent behaviour on WL500g

I am having the same problem on wireless, even when a Centrino aptop is just a metre or so from the WL500g. Disconnecting the wireless connection and restarting it (not the router) fixes it for a while. FW 1.9.3.6B, 1.9.4.0B and 1.9.4.6.

Quote Originally Posted by iog
    I am having the same problem on wireless, even when a Centrino aptop is just a metre or so from the WL500g. Disconnecting the wireless connection and restarting it (not the router) fixes it for a while. FW 1.9.3.6B, 1.9.4.0B and 1.9.4.6.
    At what kind of interval do you have these drops? I've used several firmwares (both Asus' and Oleg's), different channels and even different wifi cards, but sometimes the wireless connection drops for just a short moment. There can be days that everything is fine, but then there are also times when the connection keeps dropping.

In the attached image there's a plot of my wl500g's signal (Network Stumbler) of a day when things weren't going very smooth (not every drop causes the wifi connection to fail). If I execute 'wl down' followed by 'wl up' the connection is restored immediately...but then again I don't want to do that thank you very much

ps. the router does not become hot or anything like that
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just wanted to bump this thread. Has anyone found a cure for this problem? I am having it too, and it is extremely annoying. The wireless is becoming next to useless. An interesting sidenote is that I have two computers on wireless and two on wired ethernet. Both of the wireless computers usually go offline simultaneously, while the wired ones go on as usual.