Thread: A wireless connection but no wireless network

Question A wireless connection but no wireless network

Hello can anyone help me please?

For the last couple of days I have been trying to setup a wireless connection with my ASUS WL500g wireless router. Although in the right bottom of my screen appears:
    Wireless Connection: connected
    Speed: 54mbps
    Strength: excellent

I can't ping the DNS server. I can't ping Gateway and I can't ping the IPaddress of the ADSL router. In the last week I managed to have a connection for 5 minutes but after I turned on 64bits WEP encryption I haven't been able to have a wireless connection.

My hardware en software (relevant for this) are:

Windows Xp with service pack 2
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB internal memory
    Network Adapter = ASUS WL167g (USB stick)

Ip configuration:

ADSL router
    -----------
    IPaddress: 10.0.0.160
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS: 10.0.0.138
    Gateway: 10.0.0.138

Operational mode: "AP only"
    No encryption, no firewall, no MAC address filtering !!!

Desktop
    --------
    Ipadress: 10.0.0.161
    Panda antivirus & Firewall disabled, Windows XP firewall disabled

Desktop 2
    ----------
    Ipadress: 10.0.0.162

More information:
    ----------------
    Desktop 2 is directly linked to the ADSL router. Cable is in a LAN port. The ADSL router is directly linked to my Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 ethernet modem.
    Internet, email and other stuff are working just fine on this desktop.

On desktop 1 (the one with the wireless connnection) I have no internet ("error page cannot be displayed"), no email and no wireless network connection could be found although an icon right below states otherwise. I can't ping the gateway, dns server or the ip adress of the ASUS router. I tried static ip addresses, dynamic ip adresses, dhcp disabled, enabled etc.

It's making me completely grazy !!!

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Timo

A wireless connection but no wireless network

For some weird reason i had the same from a windows 2000 machine. After i changed the ip adres of the wl500g to something different i suddenly could
    ping the router.
    I hope this helps for you too...

Exclamation Solution for problem + new question

Thanks avberk for your reply.

Unfortunately this didn't help me further.

Last night however I managed to have a wireless connection with my laptop to the ASUS WL500G. My laptop was nearby the router. What I did was the following. I arranged static addresses on the wireless router itself and on the laptop I configured dynamic addresses:

Router (ASUS WL500G)
    Ip-address: 192.168.1.165

Laptop:
    Dynamic addresses given by the DHCP server as part of the WL500G)

PCMCIA Card: WL100G

Something I discovered was that there was something wrong due to the configuration in combination with the profiles. I had probably three profiles stored on the ASUS WL500G:
    * "name of SSID"
    * "name of SSID" _1

Because these profiles differed from one another I often was not able to setup a wireless connection.

However, when I brought my laptop downstairs to the ground floor my connection was again very poor and the strength very poor.
    My conclusion:
    The ASUS WL500G is not able to communicate in a wireless way thorught two concrete floors

So what am I going to do now?
    The ethernetmodem & ADSL wireless router will be brought from the attic to a room on the first floor. My two pc's on the attic will be made wireless. The laptop and the "family" PC downstairs are already wireless so that is no problem.

The only question left is:
    * What PCI card works best with the ASUS WL500G? Are their other cards than the WL138G available? I have read that the WL100g has the same chipset as the WL500G but that the WL138G has another chipset that results in a lot of problems.

Who can give some advice here? You avberk?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Timo

try setting dns and gateway to 192.168.1.1
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Well, you slept good brubber. That ..ofcourse was a type error .....

My ip-address is 10.0.0.160
    DNS = 10.0.0.138
    Gateway = 10.0.0.138
    Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0

Today I placed the desktop (that is normally on the ground floor) nearby the asus router on the attic. And ....everything works fine. I saw this as a hint in another post on this forum and it works indeed.

But ...why does work my laptop (with asus wl100g) correctly on the ground flow (strength normally good) and why doesn't my desktop. I brought my desktop back downstairs and I couldn't find ONE wireless netwerk.

I even bought a wireless home antenna of SMC that fits (and replaces) the asus antenna but nope !! nothing !!! rien de knots !!

Can anyone explain this to me?
    In my desktop I tried the asus wl138g, the asus 167g (usb) and even an MSI wireless card with a long antenna cord so you can place the receiver somewhere else ...

Can anyone help me???

In your original question you state that you do have a wireless connection. but can not E-mail / internet etc. This fits perfectly with the situation you describe as a typing error (icon indicates connection, wrong IP config). Now you come up with a different question, stating that it's a problem caused by a bad wireless connection between two locations. If you search the forum you will find many possible solns for this problem.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g