Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Asus WL-500a ??? Yes!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helmond, The Netherlands
    Posts
    89

    Asus WL-500a ??? Yes!

    As a coincidence I obtained a mini PCI 802.11a/b/g wireless adapter based on a Broadcom chipset. The WL-600 (if the thingy is available anywhere) has support for the Atheros (shit), but no explicit support for the Broadcom BCM4309. I replaced the 802.11b/g adapter with the 802.11a/b/g adaptor. The Wl500g booted normally, however it stayed on the same (11b/g) channel. I issued the following commands:


    wl down //disable wifi
    wl band a //switch to band a
    wl txpwr 50
    wl up
    wl csa master now 52 //switch to channel 52
    wl antdiv 3 //enable antenna RX diversity
    wl txant 3


    The following picture shows the WL500g wth the 802.11a card:

    Last edited by Omega; 06-07-2013 at 12:55. Reason: fixed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helmond, The Netherlands
    Posts
    89
    I did some measurements with the output power of this 11a card. Please see the following picture:




    At point one I switched from 50mW to 20mW. At point 2 I switched from 20mW to 84mW and finally at point 3 back to 20mW.
    At the time I was downloading a huge file.
    Although the output power is increased, the type of frames are max 36Mb types. When 20mW is used almost only 54Mb frames are transmitted. Conclusion the output power should not be set to max as default, only when a bigger range is needed. As a side effect your link will be slower (also for devices that reside closer to the AP)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Russian Federation
    Posts
    8,353
    You've done a great work in researching.
    Is it possible to use 11bg and 11a at the same time?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helmond, The Netherlands
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    You've done a great work in researching.
    Is it possible to use 11bg and 11a at the same time?
    No, You need two radios (read: two miniPCI cards). Since the WL500g only has one Mini PCI slot (unlike e.g. the D-link DI-774 wich has two) it became a 802.11a only box.

    BTW I will use one of the DI-774 MiniPCI cards for the WL500g as well, since these cards are based on an Atheros chipset. The WL500g has native support for this chipset (although the driver is not included, only the control files are). It is a good exersise to port the madwifi driver to the Mips platform, although our goal is to port it eventually to our ARM 9 platform.
    Last edited by bramfm; 27-04-2004 at 10:05.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    It is a good exersise to port the madwifi driver to the Mips platform, although our goal is to port it eventually to our ARM 9 platform.
    Well, I have started the Madwifi driver implementation to WL-500 as well. The latest Madwifi version is currently available through CVS only.
    The bad thing is that task seems to be too hard for me at the moment... I was not able to compile the module yet - too many errors. I have to tune up my environment for cross-compiling.

  6. #6

    Information from DI-774 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    No, You need two radios (read: two miniPCI cards). Since the WL500g only has one Mini PCI slot (unlike e.g. the D-link DI-774 wich has two) it became a 802.11a only box.

    BTW I will use one of the DI-774 MiniPCI cards for the WL500g as well, since these cards are based on an Atheros chipset. The WL500g has native support for this chipset (although the driver is not included, only the control files are). It is a good exersise to port the madwifi driver to the Mips platform, although our goal is to port it eventually to our ARM 9 platform.
    hello bramfm. can you give some more information about the DI-774? Or can you even take some puctrures from the inside? I need to know if the DI-774 has 2 mini-PCI slots on the bord. Which OS is running on it and what type of cpu.

    Thanks for that

    buhzi

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helmond, The Netherlands
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by buhzi
    hello bramfm. can you give some more information about the DI-774?
    Or can you even take some puctrures from the inside? I need to know if the DI-774
    has 2 mini-PCI slots on the bord. Which OS is running on it and what type of cpu.
    Just click here for a inside picture of the DI-774.



    I do not know yet what kind of CPU is used, I thought it was an ARM based CPU.
    Also I do not know what OS is used.
    I still have to solder the debug UART on this board, but I did not have time for it yet.
    Last edited by Omega; 06-07-2013 at 13:38. Reason: fixed

  8. #8

    Dl-774

    Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    Just click here for a inside picture of the DI-774.

    I do not know yet what kind of CPU is used, I thought it was an ARM based CPU. Also I do not know what OS is used. I still have to solder the debug UART on this board, but I did not have time for it yet.
    Can you take a more detailed picture from the upper left of your last picture. There ist the CPU located. With the label on it i can google for the CPU type...

    And by the way you wrote that you want to port the Madwifi driver to your ARM9 platform. Can you tell me more about this platform?

    I'm looking for a board based on ARM9, MIPS or IPX425 with 2 and the same board with 4 miniPCI slots. Therefore the DL774 is very interesting for me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Russian Federation
    Posts
    8,353

    Linksys WRT54AG

    Linksys WRT54AG http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT54AG

    http://www.techinfodepot.info/wiki/Linksys_WRT54AG_v1.0

    https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=Q87-WRT54AG

    http://www.anderson-net.com/~nathan/wrt54ag/

    Linksys wrt55ag board has 2 miniPCI slots and identical to other broadcom based devices.



    SC16C2552: Dual UART with 16-byte transmit and receive FIFOs

    http://doc.chipfind.ru/html/philips/sc16c2552ia44.html

    Name:  SC16.gif
Views: 533
Size:  11.6 KB

    ADM3311E: 3-V, RS-232 Serial Port Driver-Receiver

    http://www.analog.com/en/interface-i...s/product.html

    Last edited by Omega; 06-07-2013 at 17:27. Reason: fixed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Helmond, The Netherlands
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by buhzi
    Can you take a more detailed picture from the upper left of your last picture. There ist the CPU located. With the label on it i can google for the CPU type...

    And by the way you wrote that you want to port the Madwifi driver to your ARM9 platform. Can you tell me more about this platform?

    I'm looking for a board based on ARM9, MIPS or IPX425 with 2 and the same board with 4 miniPCI slots. Therefore the DL774 is very interesting for me.
    The microcontroller is a NEC uPD30131 (=VR4131) which has a MIPS core:
    see uPD30131

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    270

    Atheros

    I have compiled MadWifi driver for Atheros cards support finally. Now I have ath0 interface running but AFAIK there's no utility to manage wireless card configuration as wl module can't be loaded anymore.
    It seems it's necessary to compile something like wireless-tools to get iwconfig... Perhaps it could be possible to use iwconfig from Linksys source... Does anybody have an experience with this?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    I have compiled MadWifi driver for Atheros cards support finally. Now I have ath0 interface running but AFAIK there's no utility to manage wireless card configuration as wl module can't be loaded anymore.
    It seems it's necessary to compile something like wireless-tools to get iwconfig... Perhaps it could be possible to use iwconfig from Linksys source... Does anybody have an experience with this?
    I am about to get my first WL-500G tomorrow. I would like to try to run an Atheros a/b/g card on it running under openWRT.

    Do you believe that such a thing will be possible?

    Is there someone one could see how you got the Atheros driver to compile?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Russian Federation
    Posts
    8,353
    Buy netgear wgt634u instead, it's already has atheros.
    Also, Kaloz (member of this forum & openwrt) has recently tried inserting atheros mini-pci to wl500g and make it running with minor modification to openwrt kernel.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by capouch
    I am about to get my first WL-500G tomorrow. I would like to try to run an Atheros a/b/g card on it running under openWRT.

    Do you believe that such a thing will be possible?

    Is there someone one could see how you got the Atheros driver to compile?
    Yes it is possible for sure but there are still problems with output power tuning with MadWifi drivers. That's why I did not try to compile more current drivers (after July 2003). I also did not play with OpenWrt yet so perhaps Kaloz could give you much better information about that.

  15. #15
    Hello!

    I own an Asus WL-500b. Is it possible to update it to an WL-500g by changing the WLAN-card?

    Regards,

    Bernardo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Asus WL-500gP и AnyData ADU-E100A/300A/310A/500A/510A/520A/890WH
    By Firemover in forum Russian Discussion - РУССКИЙ (RU)
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 14:35

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •