Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WDS (Hybrid) problems....

Two wl-500gx in WDS with WPA

I have read all the threads in this forum regarding this topic. I have forund some anwsers but not all. Here is my setup:

Existing LAN---WL-500GX(1) --- wifi --- WL-500GX(2)--New LAN (4 clients pluged into wl-500)

My problems:
    - I'd like the clients on the new lan to get their IP assigned from the separate DHCP server on the existing lan.

- I'd like to have the wifi part encripted with WPA (do I select WPA or WPA-PSK in the setup)

- I'd like both units to work in hybrid mode, as I also have some wifi enabled notbooks visiting.

So far I have done the followong:
    - both units have the 1.9.5.0 firmware from asus
    - the setup works like intented if i don't use encription
    - i have enterd the MAC adress listed on the bottom of the unit into the other unti's wireles/bridge list (one shows the other in the status/wireless but the other just shows connection to:...)
    - both units are set to router mode.

Colud someone help me with some steps on howto get my setup working.

thanks

ipkg problem in WDS mode

I have a WL-500gx with Oleg's 1.9.27-6b firmware. It is set up for WDS through another gateway wireless router.
    When trying to install ipkg using ipkg.sh I get network cannot be reached in a telnet session.

Is this because it's in WDS mode? I intend to install the php server package. Will this work in WDS mode?

Thanks much

WDS configuration?

I'm having trouble configuring WDS. I expect I'm doing something dumb but I haven't discovered what it is so far in browsing this forum (or anywhere else)

I have a WL-500g Deluxe and I've upgraded the bootloader (now WL500gd-01-04-01-50) and the firmware (now Oleg's WL500gx-1.9.2.7-6b). I'm trying to get it to connect to another router - I've tried a Linksys WAG54G and am now using a Belkin F5D7633 - both give the same result. The Asus and Belkin claim to have a WDS connection (e.g. the Asus appears in the Belkin's list of remote bridges) but I don't have any usable connectivity.

My setup is like this:
    Belkin - 192.168.1.1 - ADSL gateway to internet
    Linux PC - 192.168.1.105 - connected to Belkin by ethernet, able to access internet
    Asus - 192.168.1.193
    Windows PC - 192.168.1.200 - connected to Asus by ethernet LAN

The PCs can each ping their directly connected router, but can't ping the other router or the other PC. Each router can only ping its locally connected PC. I can run telnet into both routers from their local PC.

I'm not sure what other configuration is important (I find the Asus very confusing!). What should I be checking?

Thanks and regards,
    Dave Howorth

Here's some more information.

I have all wireless security turned off. Both routers are on channel 6 and have different SSIDs. A wireless laptop can connect to either router successfully.

I've tried the Asus in all three modes: Home Gateway, Router and Access Point. That doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm presently using Access Point.

The routing table from the Asus is:

Dest G/W mask flags MSS Win irtt Iface
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 br0
    127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 40 0 0 lo

and that from the Belkin:

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    217.47.xx.xxx * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp_0_38_1
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br0
    default 217.47.xx.xxx 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp_0_38_1

Sorry, I don't know how to make it format neatly

They look to me like they should be sending local traffic to each other.

I'm currently trying two ways to get more information about what's wrong:

1. The Belkin has a 'wlctl' command with lots of options - I'm trying to see if I can discover anything using that.
    2. I'm trying to load miki's signal strength script on the Asus, since it shows WDS peers. <http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4025&highlight=wds>

But I'm stuck with (2) at the moment because the Asus has stopped recognizing my Sony memory stick. It was working but now it can't mount it. Both Windows and Linux mount it OK (it's fat32 AFAIK). I don't know whether it's not working because I've upgraded from the official firmware to Oleg's or because I've done something to the memory stick.

Dave

I'm have absolutely no DEEPER knowledge of WDS or other extended W-Lan structures, but: shouldn't the 2 APs have the same SSID? Of course I maybe absolutely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagle
    shouldn't the 2 APs have the same SSID?
    I don't think so. AFAIK, for WDS it's only the channel number that matters. Using different SSIDs lets a wireless client decide which side of the bridge to connect to if they're both visible. I did try using the same SSID for a while and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Is there some way to sniff wireless packets? Sort of ethereal for wireless. That might show me what's wrong. At the moment I'm just tweaking settings pretty much at random.

Thanks, Dave

Hmm, some slight progress. Messing with the Belkin's wlctl command I've found these commands:

wds Set or get the list of WDS member MAC addresses.
    Set using a space separated list of MAC addresses.
    wl wds xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ...]

lazywds Set or get "lazy" WDS mode (dynamically grant WDS membership to anyone).

And here's the result of using them:

> wlctl wds
    > wlctl lazywds
    lazywds is 0 (off)
    > wlctl lazywds 1
    > wlctl wds
    wds 00:11:D8:70:1A:26
    > wlctl wds
    > wlctl lazywds
    lazywds is 1 (on)

When I first use wds, it doesn't return any values (even though the Belkin's web page says:

Remote Bridges MAC Address: SSID BSSID
    [tick] asus 00:11:D8:70:1A:26

and it says lazywds is off even though it's web page says 'bridge mode: auto' so I turn lazwds on and then the wds command shows me the MAC address of the Asus!! AND I can ping from the PC local to the Asus to the PC on the Belkin! But not the other way around. WORSE, the Asus isn't responding to HTTP or telnet requests now, even though I haven't touched it.

I typed the wds command again, and now it doesn't list the Asus again, but the pinging is still working.

I'm well confused !!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.Howorth
    I can ping from the PC local to the Asus to the PC on the Belkin! But not the other way around. WORSE, the Asus isn't responding to HTTP or telnet requests now, even though I haven't touched it.
    Dave
    I'm still very confused but slightly happier now. What's happened is that the Asus has taken a DHCP address from the Belkin and is using that. Don't understand why it did that. But I can ping it, telnet to it or reach it's web pages using that address now.

So now I need to find a way to make this connection keep working indefinitely.

And I need to find out why the Asus is no longer reading my USB stick.

And check performance and reliability and then see if I can connect my Toppy to the USB port successfully.

Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.Howorth
    I don't think so.
    This is a requirement. As well as adding WDS partners to MAC list on each router or enabling anonymous (lazy) mode. You've to use web interface. RTFM if in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    This is a requirement.
    I take it you're saying that they must have the same SSID? Are you absolutely sure about that? Because mine now seem to be working with different SSIDs. I' ve been referring to places like: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le78-page4.php which says:
    (Optional) Set each AP to a different SSID

WDS APs know each other by MAC address and could care less what their SSID is set to. On the other hand, wireless clients associate by SSID. Technically, each AP in a WDS network is part of the same Extended Service Set (ESS) and should therefore have the same SSID.

I'm glad you prompted me to look for that link though because I found a nice site with a description of the Broadcom commands that the Belkin uses:
    http://www.devicescape.com/docs/uwp/...roadcom-wl.php

As well as adding WDS partners to MAC list on each router or enabling anonymous (lazy) mode. You've to use web interface.
    I thought I'd done that but apparently setting the 'Auto' option in the Belkin's web interface doesn't actually set lazymode. I'll write and ask them. Now I've got it working I'll probably try to use specific MAC addresses.

RTFM if in doubt.
    I think I have read the manuals. The Asus manual discusses WDS on p38. The Belkin manual doesn't mention it at all as far as I can see. I've also read a fair number of web pages without finding a complete guide. That's why I asked here.

Do you have any specific references you could suggest for either the WDS or my USB problem? I admit I haven't yet had time to search here to resolve the USB issue.

Thanks, Dave

WDS: WLHDD or WL500g as a Client

Hi together,

i have my avm fritzbox 7050 and a wlhdd or a wl500g (have to decide which one can stay ;-) ) connected via wds (fritzbox is master; asus device is client in hybrid mode!). everything is working fine. it dosn't matter to which ap i'm connected, i can always enter the internet. but if i'm connected to the ap of the fb i'm not able to enter the asus device (no ftp, smb or http!). but i'm able to enter the dbox2 i've connected by lan behind the asus device.

maybe you have an idea for a solution?

would be very nice....!

thx a lot

best regards

daniel

ps: do you know a way i can chose the ap i want connect (intel centrino wlan tool)?
    Athlon XP 2200+ runnig on ECS K7S5A
    512 MB DDR
    160 GB Samsung
    Ati Radeon 9500
    System running under Yoper.v2
    Router: WL500g

Connect ASUS WL500gx to Ovislink Wl-1000UR via WDS

I’ve spend more than 16 ours on getting my ASUS WL500GX to work with my OvisLink WL-1000UR via WDS. I searched the internet, forums, tried many configurations, but I’m stuck with some confusing observations.
    Please help me.

My setup:
    ---------------
    Internet >---wired---< ASUS WL-500GX router -.-.- wireless -.-.- Ovislink WL-1000UR >--USB---< HP LaserJet.
    I want the Ovislink to act as a printer server, because it is impossible to create a wired connection to it. For setup purposes, I places all appliances just a few feet from eachother.

The ASUS router is configured as 10.0.0.140 and to do WDS and DHCP
    ASUS firmware: Oleg 1.9.2.7-7b
    The Ovislink router is configured as 10.0.0.141 and to do WDS. DHCP is disabled. Both have eachothers MAC address, the same WEP key and so forth.
    Ovislink Firmware: v.197e4

Problem:
    -------------
    From Ovislink, I can’t connect to the internet.
    From ASUS-connected PC’s, I can’t ping 10.0.0.141 or any connected PC on ovislink.
    From Ovislink-connected PC’s, I can’t ping 10.0.0.140 or any connected PC on ASUS.

Observations:
    --------------------
    1. A PC connected to Ovislink DOES gets an IP address from the ASUS DHCP server.
    2. Using Ethereal on a port on Ovislink, I see packets from the ASUS router. When I ping 10.0.0.141 from the ASUS router, I see the request and reply on the Ovislink. However, on a wired PC on the ASUS router I don’t see the response packet being received. I can’t determine if it was sent by the ovislink router or not.
    3. When I do a continuous ping (ping –t 10.0.0.141) from the ASUS router, it is constantly timed out. However, then I do a reset on the Ovislink (take out power and put back in), ONE PING REQUEST is being answered. The next requests get timed out again.
    4. The MAC address on the back of the router ends with 2d-2d but using ethereal I see 2d-2e. I’ve put both MAC addresses in the ASUS router.

What should I do next?

Please help me, I do not get ahead not. WDS

Hi Comunity,

@First: Radix complement for this great forum

Ask time me spelling mistakes. I am from German and my english isnt good.

But it doesnt help. I have to post here before i get crasy with my Routers
    I try this Configuration however I get it not to run. So plaese help me with it.

Client3 and 4 by WLAN -----10m-------- WL-500gx #2---------400m-------WL-500gx #1-----10m------Client1 and 2 by WLAN

WL-500gx #1: Webserver, FTP, rrd, Wiviz, Samba, DSL connection to Inet (cable), Home Gateway, IP 192.168.10.1
    WL-500gx #2: only run torrent client in future (not yet) AP Mode, IP 192.168.10.2

no DHCP Clients starts at 192.168.10
    Both runnig Oleg newest Firmeware.

thats all runnig perfectly, big thanks to Oleg

The problem is to get WDS working.
    I have try to make it like it is discribte in this Forum but it will not work. Both Router in Hybrid, mutual macs in list, no WPA or WEB, not the same Cannel, same SSID.

The best situation i can got was when i connect to the Router #2 by cable. WDS seems to function then skype was connected ( i have test it ) but no other programs goes online (like ICQ or Web). Is it a static route on Router #2 that i have to use? I didn´t know.
    In this the Routers log have no entry in Station List and Wiviz did not show a connection between the Routers.

Thank you for your help

WDS prob

search for my name and WDS. You can use the German forum too! You will find the only available solution for 1.9.2.7 there.

Thanks a lot, it works.

I did not know wy but the 2 secounds sleep in the post-boot are to less for my. When i type wl wds (mac) when the router runs since 20 secounds then wds will work. Works for 12h.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345