Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WDS (Hybrid) problems....

WDS and Share internet connection

Hi,

I have two WL-500g Deluxe (WL1 and WL2) with original firmware (1.8.2.1) connected in WDS mode. I have two PC (PC1 and PC2), first wired to WL1 and second wired to WL2. Internet connected to WL1.
    I can to copy files from PC1 in PC2 but I cant' access internet from PC2. I would like to shared internet connection.

thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stop DHCP on WL2 and let PC2 acquire an IP from WL1 DHCP server.
    It should be ok then.

EDIT : just put WL2 in access point mode (this should automatically disabled dhcp).

JF
    Last edited by Jean-Fabrice; 04-07-2005 at 20:49.

Thanks for yout help.

WDS (Hybrid) problems....

Hi

Since upgrading from .6a to .6b I havent been able to make my WL500g deluxe connect as a WDS client.

It simply dosnt connect, even though I do have the correct MAC (the mac of my primary router) in the list, and the correct WEP key and channel selected.

I have tried to downgrade to .6a again, but the problem seem to persist regardless.....I dont know if there is any kind of NVRAM setting that is faulty after running .6b.....even though I did reset to factory defaults.

Does anyone have simular problems?
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

Question wds help

For a couple of days I am trying to get WDS working between my WL500g and digiconnect AP. This is what I tried:

In Wireless - Bridge I filled in the mac addresses of both routers. I tried the AP mode in Hybrid and WDS only.

In the digiconnect AP I filled in the same two mac addresses. No options. I can only select enable and disable.

Bot routers use the same channel.

Now when I look with ifconfig I get this:
    wds0.4915 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:xx:xx:xx:FD
    inet6 addr: fe80::211:2fff:xxxx:xxfd/10 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    So it seems like there is no connection.

What I want is that the digiconnect router extends my asus ap. What kind of wan and lan addresses should I use for the digiconnect?

Anything I can try?

checklist:
    - make sure the mac address is the wireless mac address. not the ethernet mac address.
    - i dont know digiconnect. make sure it really support wds
    - first try, disable all mac filtering, encryption, etc. after it works, you can try enable those one at a time
    - make sure the ip is the same subnet. both set to the same gateway
    - both have same ssid, same channel

i think that's all.
    search the forum and read the wiki, there are some solved problems you can learn.
    aztech adsl router -> asus wl500g w/ 1.9.2.7-5a fw -> linksys wrt54g w/ dd-wrt & hyperwrt as WDS

http://www.ngobrol.com

make this permanent

I have the problem and the solution also works for me.
    BUT: How can I make this permanent? Each time I reset the router this setting gets lost.

Rgds,
    Guti

WPA + WDS device interoperability success stories... with Airports?

I have been using WEP + WDS for some time now between 2 Airports (Extreme + Express) and 2 Asuses (WLHDD and WL500G).

After witnessing the Whoppix demonstration I felt it necessary to upgrade to WPA. Changing the Airports over to WPA + WDS was a breeze, but I am unable to get either of the Asus devices to join the network. I have spent countless hours now reading and experimenting but to no avail.

Are there any success stories out there of Asus devices using WPA and WDS with non Asus devices? specifically with Airports? Would it be worth my time trying out OpenWRT?

Angry WDS setup with ASUS AP WL-330

Hi!

as per an earlier thread I am still trying to set up a WDS using my WL500g and the WL330.
    Following the instructions on this bord and on tha ASUS pages I can get to the poin where I can connect the router and the AP. Looking in the AP settings I can see the router being assiciated. (an information which I cannot find in the router setting) .

As of today I can ping the router and the AP beeing connected to either the two WLANs (I use two different SSIDs). Unfortunately being connected to the AP network I cannot access the WAN and DHCP does not work. Being connected to the router I can Access the WAN and I get an IP from it's DHCP.

Is there anyone out there who has a idea which setting needs to be revised so that I can access the WAN thru the WDS (in other words via the WDS thru the router) beeing connected to the AP?

Thanks for any hint!
    mn1099
    Last edited by mn1099; 23-09-2005 at 08:55.

Ps:

I have just read the Installation Guide from the WL330 ... there it talks about Point-to-Point connecteions between different APs in a WDS network...

To me this still emans that I shall be able to acccess the WAN using a clinet that is connected to the AP (WL330) and that AP is functioning as a bridge to the router (WL500g) where the WAN is connected ...
    Or is the above just wishfull thnking?

cheers
    mn1099

Question Unable to reconnect my wl-500gx using WDS to my Linksys WRT54G

How do I troubleshoot my WDS setup?

I originally got my wl-500gx configured as a WDS-Only client with the default firmware to a Linksys WRT54G (also default firmware). But I could only get it to work using Open or WEP security, which made me switch to Oleg’s great firmware. (Also to get an easy Samba configuration).

After uploading 1.9.2.7-6b I got WDS with WPA-PSK working in less than 2 minutes – great! :-)

But then I had a lot of problems getting Samba to work, maybe because I’m currently using NTFS on my usb disc… Different problem, different story… Then main problem is that I suddenly lost all contact to my wl-500gx which forced me to reset to factory settings, which I didn’t do before uploading Oleg’s firmware. Well, I just configured it again, but I simply can’t get it to connect to my Linksys anymore. Now I even have changed my Linksys from using WPA-PSK to Open, but I still can’t get it to connect. Before the reset I could always see a line in the WirelessLog window like this: “Connect <SSID>” or “Connecting <SSID>” which made it easy to check if it was connected or not. Now it just shows this:

>Mode : WDS Only
    >Channel : 1
    >
    >Stations List
    >----------------------------------------

I simply can’t see that it even tries to connect.
    All my setup is done using GUI, so please be very specific if I need to use SystemCommands or telnet.

My setup is like this:
    Operation Mode:
    Access Point
    Wireless-Interface:
    SSID: <Same as Linksys>
    Channel: 1 <Same as Linksys>
    Wireless mode: Auto
    AuthenticationMode: Open or Share key
    WEP Encryption: None
    WirelessBridge:
    AP Mode: WDS Only
    Channel: 1
    Connect to APs in Remote Bridge List: Yes
    Allow anonymous: No
    Remote Bridge List: <MAC of my Linksys as shown in Linksys status page>
    WirelessAdvanced
    Extended Mode: AP or WDS
    Enable Radio: Yes :-)
    IP Config – LAN
    Host Name: dot2
    Get IP Automatically: No
    IP Address: 10.0.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1 (Ip of Linksys)
    The AIR led is on and flashes once in a while..

You can see my SystemLog right here: http://bassebo.frac.dk/PDJ-WL500-Log.txt

Any help much appreciated.

PS: I actually thought I had a wl-500g de-luxe, but was unable to load Oleg’s firmware until I tried the wl-500gx edition. Can I have a wl-500gx even though it says wl-500g on the unit?

SORRY !!! I used the incorrect MAC for my Linksys. I took it from the Status\Router and not Status\Wireless - That actually means it ignored the MAC before, because I'm quite sure it was the same mac I used originally. (Type-ahead log)

Well, now I got them connected but now I have problems when I enable WPA, but I think I'll be able to solve them, but I still miss better WDS connection status...

/Peter

same problem

I'm also using a digiconnect router in combination with an ASUS and a set of Senao APs to try and extend the wireless network using WDS. The problem is with the digiconnect router which seems to only aquire the IP of the gateway if you plug it in via its WAN/Internet port to your wired internet, which is precisely what I don't want, so I'm getting rid of it.

That said, it did work setting up my ASUS to extend the network through WDS by setting up the Digiconnect wired to the WAN modem and then using the ASUS as a repeater/AP (called Hybrid in WDS settings) - not the solution I want but maybe OK in your situation.

If you did find a way to set up the digiconnect to extend your network, please let me know, I'd like to know how you did it.

I can't tell you about the digiconnect, but your ifconfig output looks right. I have a busy WDS link between the WL-500g and some Siemens SE505/SE515 routers and my ifconfig gives me

Code:
    wds0.4915 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0E:A6:B7:DB:6B
              inet6 addr: fe80::20e:a6ff:feb7:db6b/10 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    So that the counters are zero seems to be normal.

Werner

http://flexblog.deburau.de/index.php?cat=3

wds with wpa encryption [solved with 1.9.5.0]

some time ago I tried to get wds with wpa encryption workin on my two asus wl-500g

after trying some of the firmwares I was so annoyed that I used wep 128 with mac filter and it ran stable, I didnt' get wpa working.

but now I would be very interested in getting to know if someone uses wds with wpa encryption in any newer firmware

if yes, let me know which firmware and if you had difficulties to get it workin

Would be really nice to upgrade my network to a more secure state
    Last edited by Wisi; 03-11-2005 at 21:55.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast