Thread: Wan port dies (or something else wrong)

Wan port dies (or something else wrong)

Hi,

I am using PPoE to connect to my wireless isp. But I have this problem my connection dies very often (sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes it lasts

about hour )...I did read thread "WAN port dies - fixing speed" and tried with all four speeds but nothing (even Antiloop said that this problem

is solved by asus in newer versions of firmware.
    I have Oleg's 1.9.2.7 firmware (the newest one, 6b I think, I downloaded it 3 days ago).
    I have DHCP enabled, so IP is generated automaticly. I have UPnP enabled also, because for some strange reason I cannot use broadband connection

made in windows like normal, because the connection is connection ot MiniWAN port and nothing happens (it is maybe because my 'primary' lan card is

connected to switch which is connected to linksys wrt54g and maybe it is trying to connect via wrt?). I have to connect via UPnP, my xp automaticly

found Internet gateway - Internet connection...So what is happening, I tried to use download some torrents today it didn't last long before my

connection dropped...after that I stopped with torrents and didn't use my connection for anything except some light surfing and chatting...so most

of my connection (256k) wasn't in use...This thing is really annoying. When I lost my connection I have to reconnect and everything is ok for a

while...then the horror continues . I am 50m from my isp's AP (50m by air) and my scans look okay I guess:

Mode: Managed RSSI: -67 dBm noise: -96 dBm Channel: 5

NAT and routing options are disabled. The device is in client mode (ap mode + ethernet bridge, home g.). This problem is happening not only with torrents but with every file (http, ftp) I try to download...it starts and soon drop.

This is the system log from wl-500g, I had to reconnect few minutes ago:

Systemlog

It is too long to fit this thread .

So I guess that solution for this problem is to disable UPnP? But how to connect to my router then?

I appreciate every help, and have to say that I found many interesting things around, pretty useful.

This is not a WAN port dies problem, as you do not use physical WAN port to connect to ISP. Also, routing and NAT are always enabled in the Home Gateway mode.

Okay I guess that the problem is caused by UPnP, or not?
    Do you have any ideas how to solve this? Should I try another PPPoE client for windows (which one if you know?) or something else?

Thanks

Okay I solved the problem with UPnP, I am connecting to my isp via web interface directly now...but still my connection drops very very often...any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Vertygo
    Do you have any ideas how to solve this? Should I try another PPPoE client for windows (which one if you know?) or something else?
    You should not use pppoe on the windows box at all. Let wl500g do the job.

Yes, thats clear to me know...only whats left unexplained is why is the connection broking again and again...every half a hour now .