Thread: Why there is no Bluetooth modules in firmwares with 2.6 kernel?

Why there is no Bluetooth modules in firmwares with 2.6 kernel?

Hi,
    There is plenty tutorials how to run Bluetooth dongle on firmwares with 2.4 kernel (1.9.2.7-d).
    Of course they have proper kernel modules.

1.9.2.7-d branch is now deprecated, and the whole effort is put to 2.6 firmwares (1.9.2.7-rtn), but 1.9.2.7-rtn is no longer complied with bluetooth modules.

I checked both http://code.google.com/p/wl500g and http://wpte.kicks-ass.net firmwares.

Anyone know why?

Because its untested and my tests is not enough.

The sooner it will be tested, the sooner we include it in the modules archive.
    Last edited by ryzhov_al; 29-01-2012 at 10:46.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure that forum is right place to share my thoughts, but I will try.

In my opinion there is some inconsistency in firmware developers actions:
    - 2.4 branch is now discontinued - ok I understand, newer kernel is, without doubts, right direction of development. And probably maintenace of two branches was too difficult.
    - 2.6 has much more possibilities, mabe faster, more stable, has better architecture.
    - But current firmwares lacks some functionallity that existed in 2.4 branch. As you write - because not all has been tested.
    - I understand the need of properly tested components of software, but I also know much Open Source Community can help with tests. It is one of the main benefit.
    - But when there is no functionallity available to test (because it is not tested yet) then there is no place to help - then you can't use community to improve software.

I know, that missing modules can be compiled in by users, but not every user has knowledge/time to do it, and by this should not be excluded as valuable tester.

I suggest to separate functinallity to this tested - and untested, but also available to users ie.: modules.tar.gz, and modules-untested.tar.gz.

Quote Originally Posted by pleha View Post
    - I understand the need of properly tested components of software, but I also know much Open Source Community can help with tests.
    Please note, that "much Open Source Community can help with tests" Bluetooth Modules for now is... you.
    So lets make a some sort of deal:
    1. I make all necessary modules for you,
    2. You'll do detailed tests,
    3. And if it will be successful tests, we will try to include those modules in a next release.

I can't promise, that I make detailed, complette test, because I don't have comprehensive knowledge. But I will try to make test of connectivity, and stability from unexperienced user point of view.

Of course I will describe my trial - to other users can (I am convinced they exist).

Maybe this start valuable discussion.

Please, write your routers model and firmware version.

I use 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3702 from http://code.google.com/p/wl500g on asus 500gp v.1.

This file replaces modules-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3702-MIPS32r1.tgz from download page. It includes all tested plus bluetooth modules. Please, let me know when you download it. After then, i delete that file.
    Code:
    $ cd /opt
    $ wget http://.../modules-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3702-MIPS32r1.tgz
    $ tar -xzvf ./modules-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3702-MIPS32r1.tgz
    $ modprobe bluetooth
    And so on.
    Last edited by ryzhov_al; 01-02-2012 at 14:09. Reason: URL deleted

Ok, I downloaded

Blog Entries

Question

Of course I will describe my trial - to other users can (I am convinced they exist).
    Maybe this start valuable discussion.
    Is your trial came to the end?

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryV View Post
    Is your trial came to the end?
    I tried, but without full success.
    What I achieved: the router with BT is visible from other devices and other devices can discover router with BT.
    But I didn't manage to run and test any service on router.

What I achieved: the router with BT is visible from other devices and other devices can discover router with BT.
    It seems a BT-modules works well.
    Now you may try to configure a userspace part - dbus, hci and so on. Try to translate my post with translate.google.com.