Thread: Cannot Manually Assign IP nos according to MAC adds

Cannot Manually Assign IP nos according to MAC adds

My desktop and wireless laptop do not always receive the IP numbers designated to them as per their MAC addresses. This is driving me nuts - Im sure there is simple explanation.

I have read a couple of threads from users who have experienced this problem but nobody seems to have come across a standard solution.

I have the WL500g's (firmware 1.9.2.7) DHCP Server and Manual Assignment enabled - and yes the IPs that I wish to assign are within the starting pool and no it doesnt matter whether the MAC addresses are entered in lower or upper case and whether Starcraft(Battle.net) is switched off or on as other users have commented in previous threads!!

Most most appreciated - worth at least a couple of pints!!

Thank you

What about placing your static IP's OUTSIDE the normal DHCP ranges?

That is what I always do - so that the IP is not "taken"...

This shouldnt be necessary, but might help in case of a bug somewhere
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

Interesting - thank you - indeed I gave it a go and found that the IP number that was released to my PC on reboot was the starting address in the IP Pool.

The PC should have picked up 192.168.1.5 as per its MAC in the Manual Assignment table but instead picked up 192.168.1.15 which was the starting address in the IP Pool!

aaarrrggghhh

i wonder if oleg knows a solution??

Quote Originally Posted by judgenick
    Interesting - thank you - indeed I gave it a go and found that the IP number that was released to my PC on reboot was the starting address in the IP Pool.

The PC should have picked up 192.168.1.5 as per its MAC in the Manual Assignment table but instead picked up 192.168.1.15 which was the starting address in the IP Pool!

aaarrrggghhh
    perhaps it's somewhere in cache

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

ah thank you antilope - forgive but me does that mean I need to reset the router to the factory default
    Thank you - I presume you are Oleg's right hand man
    PS is the problem I have fairly unique or common - Asus support have yet to respond despite having received a log number some 6 weeks ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by judgenick
    ah thank you antilope - forgive but me does that mean I need to reset the router to the factory default
    Thank you - I presume you are Oleg's right hand man
    PS is the problem I have fairly unique or common - Asus support have yet to respond despite having received a log number some 6 weeks ago!!
    assuming that you are using windows XP

try in command prompt:
    Code:
    ipconfig /release
    than reboot your machine

als check in router the dhcp leases table, copy paste it here (compare it with the mac address you gave the router for static dhcp as well)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Oh thank you for replying but Im afraid still no joy - this thing is driving me nuts - it must be so simple!
    Ive released and renewed my IP address on my desktop PC (MAC address = 00a0c9b683e7) but it still takes 192.168.1.2 when I connect to the router for the first time even though I have assigned this MAC to take 192.168.1.5.
    Is it possible for me to send you a couple of screenshots of the results of IPCONFIG/ALL and the Router DHCP's Server Settings.
    Many thanks Antiloop.

I am afraid this is still driving completely nuts - I am determined to sort this out - goodness has nobody experienced this problem before??

Try my firmware. That's it.