folks,

having failed to find anything better than How to mount a Windows share on an asus wl-500g (using oleg's 1.9.2.7-9), i decided to try and find a solution to mount remote shares without using local hdd or flash storage.
i believe this can be accomplished using cifs, which appears more lightweight than smbfs, and therefore should fit into /usr (flash).

so using debian on your pc or vm, Oleg-FW selber compilieren ... wie? from the german discussion board and HowTo Recompile the OLEG firmware as a reference

1. download the sources to /root
    (note that you probably only need su privileges for a few symlinks later, so it is quite nasty to do all this as root, but else you have to correct the paths):

2. unpacked them:
    • cd /root
    • tar -xzf GPL_1927.zip
    • tar -C broadcom/src/ -xjf wl500g-1.9.2.7-9.tar.bz2
    • tar -C broadcom/ -xjf hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2

3. create symlinks to /opt and the new toolchain
    • ln -s /root/broadcom/opt/brcm /opt/brcm
    • rm /root/broadcom/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc
    • ln -s /root/broadcom/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full /root/broadcom/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc

4. update path for the new tools
    • PATH=$PATH:/root/broadcom/tools:/root/broadcom/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin:/root/broadcom/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/bin
    • export PATH

5. apply oleg's patches
    • cd /root/broadcom/src/wl500g-1.9.2.7-9
    • make kernel
    • make

and voila - you are ready to rebuild or extend oleg's fw.
    e.g.
  6. go back to /root:
    cd /root
  7. download cifs for linux kernel 2.4
  8. unpack it into the kernel source tree:
    tar -C broadcom/src/linux -xzf cifs-1.20c-2.4.tar.gz
  9. apply the patch (i think this threw some error, but nothing serious):
    cd /root/broadcom/src/linux/linux
    patch -p1 < cifs_24.patch
  10. configure in cifs as a module, e.g.:
    make menuconfig
    file systems -> network file systems -> cifs support -> m -> exit saving changes
  11. make:
    make dep
    make modules

and you obtain cifs.o in /root/broadcom/src/linux/linux/fs/cifs/

guess i will supply flash installation and usage details later due to lack of time, but the module worked for me.
of course you can enable other modules that you might need as well as patch in other 2.4 backports to extend the kernel if you wish.

regards
peter