Thread: oleg's firmware vs openwrt

oleg's firmware vs openwrt

Hi

I just bought my asus wl500d deluxe.
    I would like to use its usb port and share a drive through samba, and install some ipkg. maybe use asterisk. use the usb hard drive as rootfs.
    I'd like to contribute of my time to one of openwrt or oleg's formware.

Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between oleg's firmware and openwrt.

From what I understand:
    openwrt comes from linksys wrt firmware. it uses a 2.4.29 kernel. It has a huge collection of software packages. I tried it and did not find how to use usb...

oleg's comes from asus firmware. haven't tested it yet. it has more drivers like usb?... it also have an ipkg package collection.

My questions:
    -Why are the oleg's and openwrt ipkg collection not compatible? is it a uclibc or glibc problem?
    -Is porting packages from openwrt to oleg's a problem?
    -There exist samba v3, asterisk on openwrt. I've read that samba is not supported on oleg's. What is the reason?
    -what about porting things between openwrt and oleg's (in both direction) then have more compatible things?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by sophana
    My questions:
    1-Why are the oleg's and openwrt ipkg collection not compatible? is it a uclibc or glibc problem?
    Yes, that is correct.
    2-Is porting packages from openwrt to oleg's a problem?
    Yes, see [1].
    3-There exist samba v3, asterisk on openwrt. I've read that samba is not supported on oleg's. What is the reason?
    Samba is supported (and included in the Oleg firmwares), but only as a Beta feature.
    4-what about porting things between openwrt and oleg's (in both direction) then have more compatible things?
    Well that is being done by various people who need a particular feature, but is sometimes quite difficult because of [1].

Porting is easy, check nslu2 site.

And check this for packages already available for my firmware:
    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/wl500g

As for samba - samba (2.0.10) is there and works fine. It has an ability for basic config from webinterface (which is supported by me) and an ability for custom config (which I personally do not support - i.e. I do not answer general questions on this, as you could read samba site for docs).

Just try both firmwares. Recent openwrt (in fact with 2.4.30 kernel) is no longer use linksys code. At the moment it has some stability issues with wl500g (but works fine with deluxe).

usb in openwrt...

is easy as one-two-three, look howtos
    greetz

Ive been using openwrt packages without any kind of problem.
    What problems are you talking about?

Kind Regards,

João Seabra

I have been trying both Oleg firmware and OpenWRT. My main concern was that the Samba version used by Oleg's firmware didn't support large files (>4GB). BTW. the firmware version was 1.9.2.7-5a.

Now, the Samba ipkg available for OpenWRT didn't work for me (giving some strange error in the log files when any user connects).

I decided to give it a try to use the attached harddisk as rootfs and run Debian from it, but then I couldn't get the wireless working well, so now I'm using a hybrid design.

The Oleg firmware boots from flash and initializes et.o en wl.o and it runs the nas process for WPA authentication. From the /usr/local/sbin/post-boot script I mount the hard drive and run the Debian rc (startup) script from within a chroot. This means nmbd, smbd and (also very nice) sshd are started in a jailed environment.

At the moment I've the thing working the way I want and I even run my IRC client from it -- that because sshd runs in the chroot jail, so every user that logs in is also trapped in there...