Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forward to MAC address

Question Forward to MAC address

Hi there.
    I would like to know if it is possible to forward a port to a specific mac-address ??
    If not, could this maybe be included in the next custom firmware ??

/willie2_z

I don't think that is possible directly, but what you should/can do is setup a static ip with that mac, and then forward to that ip. You can do this in the web interface. Ip-config->DHCP server->Manually assigned IP list to registrer mac/ip, and then NAT-Settings->Virtual Server for the port forwarding.

S.

Well, the thing is: I would like to WOL. Wake my computer from another location. But this can only be done to a specific mac-address. So my problem is: I want to forward this WOL-packet to a specifik mac-address.

Simple solution that I use:
    Log in to router and use ether_wake. To log in safely from WAN use dropbear ssh.

More tricky solution:
    Make a script that calls ether_wake, and make it available from the outside by using a httpd (cgi-script) or as a service with xinetd.

S.

PS: I recomend simple solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie2_z
    I would like to know if it is possible to forward a port to a specific mac-address ??
    Certainly not. Actually the question is wrong by definition - a mac address is a concept that operates roughly on Layer 2 of the OSI model while a (TCP or UDP) port is a Layer 4 concept. For further reference visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model (but bear in mind that the OSI model is just a theoretical model).

To keep on topic ( ): Use barsju's solution.

hmm, i don't see ether_wake in my configuration tool, and i know jack about programming scripts for my router..

You have to login to your router via ssh / telnet first to use the ether-wake utility.

well i just use the web-interface ?! can't it be done from there ?
    actually i didn't know it was possible to ssh to it. I'm going to try it when I get home

Well ssh needs to be enabled first. So start by telneting. And make sure you have oleg's custom firmware.

Then read up on this page: http://oleg.wl500g.info

And search the forum.

S.

oki, i upgraded my firmware. and i did all the things on the site about telnet and ssh, but i still can't ssh to it.
    Last edited by Willie2_z; 04-07-2005 at 22:20.

Did you telnet to it and start dropbear? Run "ps" to make sure that dropbear is running..

S.

hehe
    now i can ssh it.
    now what ??

now: ether-wake xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    S.

nice...
    looks like it work.
    new problem. i can't connect via ssh or telnet from another location, from WAN, only locally. I use putty to ssh, if i try to ssh from WAN it just times out.
    Last edited by Willie2_z; 05-07-2005 at 21:50.

You need to change your firewall (iptables) rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast