Thread: Which Firmware + overclock + sharing Lion/Windows

Which Firmware + overclock + sharing Lion/Windows

Hi everyone!
    I would like to ask you which firmware would you recommend me to put in my WL500gP V2.

What i need:
    1.) FTP or sFTP server,
    2.) Torrent client + web interface,
    3.) Apache(preferably) or lighttpd, php, mysql,
    4.) SSH,

Another part of the question is how much can i overclock the CPU? I read here some of you have 300Mhz, is it enough? what is the maximum stable/safe frequency? I really want to max out the transfer speeds for my HDD, 2MB/s is simply not enough, even when watching more quality HD movies, it's lagging.

And the final question is:
    We have a situation with my girlfriend: router + connected hdd which i want to share. Devices i want to share the hdd with: Macbook OS X Lion, Windows 7 PC. Is it possible to share files on the hdd between these two? And is it possible to share files between the windows 7 PC and Macbook?

Thank you very much for any answers and have a nice day!

I would like to ask you which firmware would you recommend me to put in my WL500gP V2.
    depends...
    • in this forum are relatively a lot of people that use oleg firmware.
    • Apart from that you also have tomato usb with a bit more user friendly web-admin (I guess)
    • the well known dd-wrt
    • And the firmware all of these firmwares are based on: open-wrt

So, since there's not much difference appart from web-admin it's up to you what you like.
    Most firmwares have dropbear ssh client build in, but after you set up the ipkg packet manager you can simply execute:
    ipkg install openssh
    and you have openssh up and running (in theory you don't even need to configure stuff)

1. FTP is build in in oleg firmware, sFTP can be used through openssh for example by installing the packet "openssh-sftp-server" again no manual configuration needed
    2. Use transmission, yet again available in ipkg for all firmwares
    3. Apache... never have seen it running on a router so far, but I have made this how-to for lighttpd and the lots: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=20306

No idea... V2 has a relative slow cpu...
    You can start by trying samba3 instead of the build in samba2 for windows file sharing, samba3 is usually faster.

overclocking is possible, also quite easy. mind to keep the router cool, at high temperatures it might shut down. I'm not sure if you could reach 300MHz since the base clock is 240MHz. With my WL-500W @264MHz it was possible, but not always stable.
    I've an RT-N16 now running at the normal 480MHz.

As far as I'm aware... mac does support samba. and windows supports samba since... I thought it was windows 95, so yeah