Thread: Firmware upgrade

Smile Firmware upgrade

Hi

It's been a while since i wrote something here but now something came up and I have to ask a community Since latest firmware for wl500gp is wl500g-1.9.2.7-d-r2624 (2011-02-19) (official not nightly builds) i was wondering if i can use rt-n branch like WL500gp-1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121.trx without any problems? Also do I have to reconfigure whole router after upgrading to this, do I have to install all programs again and will they work like on 'd' branch? I'm using Transmission and lighttpd on my router now (and packages linked with them) will they work?

hello cichy, long time no see

There is a chance of router reconfiguration, when you notice it's not working correctly for example...

all the things you installed on the harddrive or flashfs should work just fine after the upgrade

Indeed long time Thanks for reply Gotta take a look in this new firmware and its capabilities. Hope no need to reconfigure all packages

Quote Originally Posted by cichy View Post
    Hope no need to reconfigure all packages
    nope, ipkg packages work out of the box when you restore flashfs

Ok so i've updated fw to latest version form google page All works Bare in mind that after transition to rtn branch mount points can change so You have to update them (or correct) in fstab. This way You'll have Your files back

I've noticed that Samba share loads much quicker on this branch then on normal 'd' version, that's good

Hmm maybe someone could explain me why new fw mounts my hdd as:
    Code:
    /dev/discs/disca/part3 /tmp/mnt/disca_3
    although in fstab it's
    Code:
    /dev/discs/disca/part3  /tmp/harddisk
    Any way to correct this?

Also recently a friend of mine change fw to rtn branch and after changing mountpoints in fstab file transmission doesn't load automatically. Whats wrong?

FW

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    recover firmware requires establishing telnet session to the router. Use this one instead:

http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-clear-nvram.trx

it should wipe the nvram automatically.
    Hello Guys!

I'd really could use some help here. I've tried to update my WL500GP V1 fw to a newer one. But stg went terribly wrong.
    The file what I have tried seems to be incompatible, with my router.
    So after the update i'm unable to reach my router on any IP address.
    What could be the problem, and how can i fix it?
    I tried the ASUS fw restoration utility also, but it's looking for "wireless device".... Even if its connected to the PC with LAN, on port1. HELP!!

Edit: It was this fw: http://code.google.com/p/wl500g/down...sort=-uploaded
    Thank you a lot!! Hope i dont have to change it...
    Last edited by carr; 03-10-2011 at 12:05.

Firmware restoration via TFTP are always work on Oleg-based FW. But it requires minimal computer knowledge. More detailed explanation was on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by carr View Post
    I tried the ASUS fw restoration utility also, but it's looking for "wireless device".... Even if its connected to the PC with LAN, on port1. HELP!!
    ok so these are the steps:
    1. Unplug all the cables of your router
    2. Connect a PC to your router directly via a cable to port1 of the LAN ports
    3. Set the IP of your computer manually to 192.168.1.10
    4. Turn all other network interfaces on your computer off/disable temporarily (sometimes the asus software doesn't like that)
    5. Turn off any firewall temporarily
    6. Unplug the powercord of your router, hold the reset button while plugging the power back in and hold it till the power led starts blinking slowly
    7. Start the asus restoration utility (tftp program) and upload your new firmware file
    8. Wait! just wait till the program is done, sometimes it may even take more time, be patient! (10 minutes is long though)
    9. The router will turn back on! (yay)
    10. On your PC turn back on the other network interfaces, firewall and unset the manual ip
    11. Should be done then huh?

OR...

You CAN use the Oleg WL500gp upgrade firmware page. BUT heres what I had to do.
    Download the firmware.
    On the WL500GP
    Press reset for 5 secs.
    Unplug cables apart from modem.
    Unplug WL500GP power wait 5 secs and plug it in again.
    You should see 'DEFAULT' as a wireless network
    Connect to DEFAULT
    Goto 192.168.1.1 and login, you will notice all settings are wiped - get the firmware upgrade page.
    Upload the firmware.
    It will say 'FIRMWARE UPGRADING!' you sould not get any diconnected errors.
    It will take a few mins to upload - leave it.
    You will eventually get the screen of your new firmware. Mine looked just like the old OLEG version - it was a shock when i noticed so many more options.

Im my opinion the rtn firmware for the WL500gp is a major upgrade, and worth installing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    ok so these are the steps:
    1. Unplug all the cables of your router
    2. Connect a PC to your router directly via a cable to port1 of the LAN ports
    3. Set the IP of your computer manually to 192.168.1.10
    4. Turn all other network interfaces on your computer off/disable temporarily (sometimes the asus software doesn't like that)
    5. Turn off any firewall temporarily
    6. Unplug the powercord of your router, hold the reset button while plugging the power back in and hold it till the power led starts blinking slowly
    7. Start the asus restoration utility (tftp program) and upload your new firmware file
    8. Wait! just wait till the program is done, sometimes it may even take more time, be patient! (10 minutes is long though)
    9. The router will turn back on! (yay)
    10. On your PC turn back on the other network interfaces, firewall and unset the manual ip
    11. Should be done then huh?
    2013.06.26 8am-1pm - WL500Gp running OLEG 1.9.2.7-rtn-r5165.
    AutoInstall script (will partition your drive, install sw automatically) to work with disca here:
    http://mrmacbeth.webspace.virginmedi...wl500gp_rnt.sh
    a SheevaPlug (1.2Ghz ARMv5TE, 512Mb Mem, 512 Mb Flash running debian/ubuntu 2.6.22.18) its USB 2.0 connected to a external USB 1TB WD Essentials Edition Harddrive (NAS). [Blew up - make me thankful for the bulletproof WL500Gp I have to fallback on]
    A Zoom VOIP