Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth on the WL500g? Yes!

Bluetooth on the WL500g? Yes!

We (Philips Semiconductors) are using the WL500g as test vehicle for our MIPS systems to verify code. During these exercises we ported the Affix Bluetooth stack to the WL500g. The actual code is too big to fit in the current firmware (above 4MB), so you need an external flash disk. Since also a USB Bluetooth dongle is needed, you need a compatible USB hub.

For more information go to:
    Affix on WL500g

Please read the limitations:
    • Binaries are statically compiled, so larger than actually needed.
    • A specific libc.so.6 file is needed simply because the WL500g version is too limited
    • PAN interface seems not to be routed through the WL500g. As a BT PAN client it is possible to access the internal webpage of the WL500g. When a tcpdump is made the box claims that “source route failed”. I have no clue yet what is causing this problem.

The last problem is causing me headaches. I haven't found a solution yet.

Last remark, the code is based on affix version 2.1.2 .
    Last edited by bramfm; 29-03-2004 at 09:20.

Good work. Just checked this. The code could be easily be stripped to 2.5MB by removing debug info and development libraries/headers. Also, try replacing glibc with uclibc.

Good tips,

I will compile a new version with --nodebug enabled.

You should also use
    strip --strip-unneeded for kernel modules &
    strip --remove-section=.note --remove-section=.comment for libraries/apps

Originally posted by Oleg
    You should also use
    Gee, I didn't know this would save so much space. Thanks Oleg!

Originally posted by Oleg
    You should also use
    I am sorry Oleg, but stripping the kernel modules results in many "unresolved symbols"

Stripping the libs + apps is OK!
    Last edited by bramfm; 29-03-2004 at 17:07.

Wow, soon the wl500g is going to be so nice.
    wlan, router, bluetooth, packet shaping

Hope you guys solve the PAN-issue.

AVM (Berlin) has managed to include a mrouter software in its bluefritz dsl bluetooth accesspoint so you can use standard symbian phones like nokia 3650 or Sony Ericsson P900 for browsing the web without using gprs or using a pc as a software router. this would be great to do with the wl-500g as well! mrouter is the software that makes a ppp/ tcp/ip connection with a pc or mac when syncing contacts etc. and can also be used to access internet for browsers and email etc.

Status of bluetooth and QoS || New (possible) Idea?!

hi guys,

what is the status of this projects (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212 and http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262)? it would be very nice if 500g start Gatekeeper (http://opengatekeeper.sourceforge.net/) from a usb-stick(or usb-hdd), and start a conection to your bluetooth phone(e.g.s60 phones) over the "audio gateway" profile.

the result is a mobile ip phone.

does everbody think that this is possible(for cpu of 500g and the other hardware)?

@oleg

thx a lot for all your hard work!did you already tought about donations?
    Last edited by xlephant; 23-04-2004 at 18:50.

Bluetooth for the WL500g Update

I noticed that the file you can download from my site causes "segmentation errors" with the latest version of Oleg's firmware. Therefore an update can be found on the page. Also, a very pleasant side-effect, libc has been replaced by ulibc in the package making it much smaller (still the wl500g build-in libc is not compatible with affix). In fact the /affix-release/lib directory only has to contain libc.so.6 since the binaries are compiled statically.

Attached you can find the new version.

PS can someone copy this to the wiki pages, I do not understand it how to use it, I am just a simple "ing" .

Code:
    It is possible to run Bluetooth on the WL500g! This can be done via 
    the USB interface in combination with a USB dongle running the Affix stack.
    The following dongles have been tested:

* MSI
        * 3COM
        * TDK

For enabling Bluetooth on the WL500g the following is needed:

* a WL500g ;-)
        * Precompiled binary, see attachement
        * A USB flash disk
        * A USB BT dongle
        * A USB Hub (to be able to connect the USB BT & flashdisk simultaneously
           to the WL500g)

Extract the affix-release.zip file and be sure to preserve the paths, it will 
    look as follows:

/affix-release
    ├───bin
    │   └───kernel
    │       ├───drivers
    │       │   └───affix
    │       └───net
    │           └───affix
    ├───etc
    │   ├───affix
    │   ├───devfs
    │   │   └───conf.d
    │   ├───modutils
    │   └───pcmcia
    ├───include
    │   └───openobex
    ├───lib
    ├───share
    │   └───aclocal
    └───usr
        └───include
            └───affix

On the USB disk make a directory for incoming and outgoing Obex file transfer
    files:

mkdir /incoming

Be shure to insert a USB BT dongle in the box and start bluetooth services via
    telnet (see chupa forum how to enable telnet), by issuing the following 
    command:

/mnt/usbfs/affix-release/bin/start_bt

Everything should start up now. Test the affix stack by entering the following
    command in a Telnet session:

btctl discovery

Known limitations:

* Binaries are statically compiled, so larger than actually needed.
        * A specific libc.so.6 file is needed simply because the WL500g version is 
           too limited
        * PAN interface seems not to be routed through the WL500g. As a BT PAN 
           client it is possible to access the internal webpage of the WL500g. When
           a tcpdump is made the box claimes that “source route failed”. I have no
           clue yet what is causing this problem
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    PS can someone copy this to the wiki pages, I do not understand it how to use it, I am just a simple "ing" .
    Hehe, I've submitted all pages in the Packages (until now) and I'm also a simple "ing". So that should not be a problem.

But I will make a page for you this evening

I have a few questions:
    What protocols are supported? Printing, filetransfer, voice, etc..

Can you describe what can be possible with this additional package? Use a mobile phone or PDA for ....? I mean: what is the added value of this package for WL-500g owners?

I am confused...
    Last edited by Styno; 19-08-2004 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    I noticed that the file you can download from my site causes "segmentation errors" with the latest version of Oleg's firmware. Therefore an update can be found on the page. Also, a very pleasant side-effect, libc has been replaced by ulibc in the package making it much smaller (still the wl500g build-in libc is not compatible with affix). In fact the /affix-release/lib directory only has to contain libc.so.6 since the binaries are compiled statically.
    Try recompiling with dynamically linked uclibc. My latest firmwares contains it's fully, i.e. it's not optimized.

Speaking of Bluetooth -

Why use Affix (http://affix.sourceforge.net/) and not the "official" BlueZ (http://www.bluez.org/) stack?

And, yes, I'd welcome Bluetooth on the router ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Hehe, I've submitted all pages in the Packages (until now) and I'm also a simple "ing". So that should not be a problem.

But I will make a page for you this evening

I have a few questions:
    What protocols are supported? Printing, filetransfer, voice, etc..

Can you describe what can be possible with this additional package? Use a mobile phone or PDA for ....? I mean: what is the added value of this package for WL-500g owners?

I am confused...
    In fact all profiles supported by affix are included, however the wl500g has no audio so a headset profile is not very usefull.
    With the obex file transefer profile you can transfer files from and to your mobile (such as pictures) to an attached USB storage device. I also included a script which sends a message to a bluetooth phone (once a day). The script is called bluejack, and is just included to show the possibilities. You should provide a message in the "incoming" directory (see btsrv.conf file in ./etc)
    Also the Pan profile is included, you will get a pan0 ethernet interface so you can use TCP/IP over bluetooth. However I can't get it to do the routing properly so you can browse the internet on your mobile phone via Bluetooth. You can browse the wl500g internal server though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast