Thread: WL500gP unable to spin up external HDD?

WL500gP unable to spin up external HDD?

I have bought a 2,5 HDD and an external enclosure based on Sunplus SPIF301 chipset. However when i connect the enclosure to the router, the drive wont spin up, its just emitting strange noises. I have also tried an Y-USB cable to increase power, but it didnt help. The drive in the enclosure is a 7200 rpm one, but i have also tried the 5400 rpm drive from my laptop - same result.

Needless to say that the drives work seamlessly in the enclosure when attached to any other device. Any idea how i could make it work with the router?

It means the wl500gp is not delivering enough power for the drive/enclosure

A powered USB hub would solve the problem.

yeah, i know that, but my point is to attach the hdd just through the USB port without additional power needed. would it be possible to get a more powerful power adaptor? i can get a 5V/3A power supply, do you think it would be enough to feed the router with an external hdd attached?
    Last edited by molnart; 29-05-2011 at 19:06.

No, that wouldn't help. (unless your current powersupply is flaky)

This combo harddrive/enclosure draws too much power for the asus.

I can only suggest the following:

-Try another (preferrably shorter) usb cable
    -another disk/enclosure which draws less power
    -a usb stick (but that could wear out quickly)

well my, current power adaptor is 5V/2,5A... i am no expert on electronics, could you briefly explain why a 5V/3A (e.g. +0,5A more power) would not help?

as i wrote, i have already tried different drives in the enclosure. currently i am using an usb flash disk, but its too small for my purposes. i will try to get a different enclosure, just for trying

It is not just the power-supply but mainly because of the USB-chip (Broadcom) that limits the current to (probably) 100mA.

Ed

as far as i know the USB controller on the first WL500gP is from VIA. Only WL500gPv2 has an all-in-one Broadcom chip acting as a CPU, switch and USB controller

Quote Originally Posted by molnart View Post
    well my, current power adaptor is 5V/2,5A... i am no expert on electronics, could you briefly explain why a 5V/3A (e.g. +0,5A more power) would not help?

as i wrote, i have already tried different drives in the enclosure. currently i am using an usb flash disk, but its too small for my purposes. i will try to get a different enclosure, just for trying
    well, the router has a protection circuit that also filters away some noise as well. even if you apply 100amps to it it's not going to work and you might even damage the router.
    I really could recommend a powered usb hub. I use one too, not because my router can't handle it but because it limits the chance that the adapter will break (which is a known problem). Also, 2,5A is not that much for a router with 2 usb ports... With an external hub you allow your router to have some extra juice

I know it bothers you, it bothers me as well... just not really anything you can do about it