Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus RT-N16 "Light" and "Cooling" mods

Thumbs up Asus RT-N16 "Light" and "Cooling" mods

"Light" and "Cooling" mods

Next will be Serial,JTAG,Extra 2xUSB and with some corage... 256MB

- Some tape to a stronger light.
    - "Improved" cooler on CPU (from far better, stock its a little HOT even at 480mhz) and stock cooler on Ethernet controller, it's ready for a few more MHZ

ADDED: 2 new pictures (memory heatsinks)

Last edited by hggomes; 23-01-2010 at 01:25.

looks nice hggomes!
    you just pulled off the old heat-sink, cleaned it up, new heat-sink with new cooling paste?

does the ethernet controller gets that hot? I mean... usually those chips work around 35 degrees C for optimal performance

I haven't had any cooling problems so far...

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    looks nice hggomes!
    you just pulled off the old heat-sink, cleaned it up, new heat-sink with new cooling paste?

does the ethernet controller gets that hot? I mean... usually those chips work around 35 degrees C for optimal performance

I haven't had any cooling problems so far...

Hi, yes i've put in both a new "glue gum", the ethernet controller doesn't get to hot but i don't wanted to wast the heat-sink I don't have cooling problems either, but with the case closed the CPU stays a little bit hot (it doesn't represent a problem for sure it was tested before at the lab and aproved to work with that temperature), at 533mhz it should be even more, so now it's "perfect" with the new heat-sink it's a lot cooler, i remember well the BIG difference in temperature on my old WL-500GP/W with and without it, specially on hot days. My filosophy it's "more cooler, better"

OFF-TOPIC - My oldys...
    ========

WL-500GP - @300MHZ @128MB, Heat-Sink, 4x USB, Removable Caps, 2x Mini Serial Port

Removable Caps

Heat-Sink
    Last edited by hggomes; 29-11-2009 at 13:45.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

system type : Broadcom BCM4716 chip rev 1
    processor : 0
    cpu model : MIPS 74K V4.0
    BogoMIPS : 238.59
    wait instruction : no
    microsecond timers : yes
    tlb_entries : 64
    extra interrupt vector : no
    hardware watchpoint : yes
    ASEs implemented : mips16 dsp
    VCED exceptions : not available
    VCEI exceptions : not available

unaligned_instructions : 2
    dcache hits : 2147483648
    dcache misses : 3543136790
    icache hits : 2147483648
    icache misses : 1605460392
    instructions : 2147483648

This info is from model BCM4716 underclocked 300Mhz CPU, that's why it shows only "BogoMIPS: 238.59" , RT-N16 should have from factory clock speed (480MHZ)a near value. ~480 BogoMIPS.
    Last edited by hggomes; 29-11-2009 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by hggomes View Post
    This info is from model BCM4716 underclocked 300Mhz CPU, that's why it shows only "BogoMIPS: 238.59" , RT-N16 should have from factory clock speed (480MHZ)a near value. ~480 BogoMIPS.
    yes cpuinfo detects a different cpu, but it really is a BCM4718
    bogus mips: bogus means something like fake/not real.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BogoMips

but wait... you glued it on?
    that's not very heat conducting

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    but wait... you glued it on?
    that's not very heat conducting
    LOL, its not glue glue, its a special tape, try to remove yours and see whats between cpu and heat-sink so you can understand...

@hggomes

Hey,

Could you share the details about the parts you purchased and used to upgrade the cooling for the RT-N16 ?

It would be extremely helpful if you could

Thanks !
    Last edited by Mookatroid; 31-12-2009 at 18:59.
    2 x ASUS RT-N16 13450 NEWD2 Big Eko
    1 x ASUS WL-500GP v1 13401 NEWD Mini-USB Eko
    3 x WRT600N v1.1 13401 NEWD Mini-USB Eko

Hi, in my case i used a heat-sink from CoolerMaster Blue Ice Cooler, i removed the fan (40mm), it has a glue tape mixed with a metal conductor so you can make it glued and conductive, it works perfectly. There are other heat-sinks that work the same way, it's a matter of some research on those heat-sinks =< 40mm to get a better temperature, the diference of temperature is big, i haven't measure it yet but it should be near 10º, it's not even warm. If you have one of this kind heat-sinks that fit in the "socket" without the glued tape (most kind) you can resolve it with a glue named PRITT, i've already test it and works fine it seems those materials used on GFX/NB of notebooks, its a kind of glue that doesn't dry (gum).

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mookatroid View Post
    @hggomes

Hey,

Could you share the details about the parts you purchased and used to upgrade the cooling for the RT-N16 ?

It would be extremely helpful if you could

Thanks !

Last edited by hggomes; 30-11-2009 at 04:51.

Hi, in my case i used a heat-sink from CoolerMaster Blue Ice Cooler, i removed the fan (40mm), it has a glue tape mixed with a metal conductor so you can make it glued and conductive, it works perfectly. There are other heat-sinks that work the same way, it's a matter of some research on those heat-sinks =< 40mm to get a better temperature, the diference of temperature is big, i haven't measure it yet but it should be near 10º, it's not even warm. If you have one of this kind heat-sinks that fit in the "socket" without the glued tape (most kind) you can resolve it with a glue named PRITT, i've already test it and works fine it seems those materials used on GFX/NB of notebooks, its a kind of glue that doesn't dry (gum).

Good luck
    Thanks for the info.
    I should not have any problem finding CoolerMaster products.
    However PRITT does not seem to make any computer-type glue.
    Glue used to apply a heatsink should have thermal capabilities like this one .... http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...l_adhesive.htm

Yes ?

Thanks for the info.
    I should not have any problem finding CoolerMaster products.
    However PRITT does not seem to make any computer-type glue.
    Glue used to apply a heatsink should have thermal capabilities like this one .... http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...l_adhesive.htm

Yes ?
    Yes in fact PRITT does not have thermal capabilities but also original ASUS RT-N16 heat-sink doesn't have either, is just PURE glue between both (cpu and heat-sink, ASUS made it that way it's because it's enough to do the job) and so many other devices just like notebooks, motherboards and others have only a kind of glue gum attached (without thermal capabilitie), so i think in some cases you don't need a EXTREME thermal capabilitie because it's not needed, but offcourse if you have even better.

PS: Have you noticed that all thermal sticks have glue on both sides of the thermal metal conductor?

Artic Silver should work fine (or 1 dollar 40mm thermal sticks), but you need to be careful because its conductivity and there's also other "problem" some people reported that you will never again take off the heat-sink, it will be stucked (artic = super glue).

What i will do is to measure the temperature of CPU with the glue and with the thermal stick so i can tell you the diferences, or eventually with my other unit try the artic silver and then compare all the three temperatures, of course it would be better if i could make it with 533Mhz, but i will try at 480 first.
    Last edited by hggomes; 03-12-2009 at 16:24.

What i will do is to measure the temperature of CPU with the glue and with the thermal stick so i can tell you the diferences, or eventually with my other unit try the artic silver and then compare all the three temperatures, of course it would be better if i could make it with 533Mhz, but i will try at 480 first.
    Standing by ....

Standing by ....
    Waiting for measure "stuff"

Interesting, ASUS FW uses 453,226,113 speeds (BogoMIPS: 225.28), not 480,240,120 or even 533(2),266,133. Im wondering why??

Not 100% stable?

http://www.foxnetwork.ru/index.php/e...us-rt-n16.html

ASUS-WRT FW on RT-N16 with wrong specs and picture, its from RT-N66U

Btw R3453 has improved my USB transfer rate 2mb/s, awesome
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FAN? What for? Annoying sounds and extra power consumption? No way
    Sorry to tell but this revision its much better :P

I don't mind a fan, I just thought: this router is so bad ass it needs a fan to cool it
    hehe, I have a laptop cooler under my rt-n16 as well... really works out in the summer, since it overheats now and then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast