Thread: Dynamic routing?

routing

Hi,

Is it possible to add quagga for BGP support?

It's rarely used thing, so it would not be added to the firmware. You may need to compile it yourself.

Dynamic routing?

I think I recall from reading the specifications of the wl-500g that it supports dynamic routing (rip-1, rip-2). in what sense is this realised in the router? I can't see that it is accessible via the Web interface, nor do I see any commands or daemons when logged into a shell account. I am running firmware 1.9.2.7-5a.

I'd really like to get dynamic routing up and running, is it perhaps available through any additional packages?

I'm wonder, why do you need this.
    Anyway, it's no longer supported since 1.8.x.x firmware.

I'm using several of these routers to connect me to an ADSL Internet connection via two wireless hops. A lot of the equipment will therefore be located at a couple of different neighbours within 3 km. Should anything happen with this equipment, some cables get unplugged, the neighbours shut down the system and go on a vacation, it would be neat with a dynamic routing function that realised that the ideal Internet connection has gone down and reroute traffic through another router connected to my phoneline as a backup.

To separate the LANs at the different neighbours I will set up in the boxes in router mode and apply a packet filtering rules to isolate traffic within the different sub LANs from the Internet traffic that is allowed to pass through.

Regarding this I have another question: it seems that the DHCP server in the router is within a service called dnsmasq with an appropriate config file. Is it possible to configure this to supply IP addresses from different subnets to different interfaces?

Also, is it possible to set the IP address individually of all three interfaces eth0,eth0.1, and eth1?

Quote Originally Posted by kolaf
    I'm using several of these routers to connect me to an ADSL Internet connection via two wireless hops. A lot of the equipment will therefore be located at a couple of different neighbours within 3 km. Should anything happen with this equipment, some cables get unplugged, the neighbours shut down the system and go on a vacation, it would be neat with a dynamic routing function that realised that the ideal Internet connection has gone down and reroute traffic through another router connected to my phoneline as a backup.
    Well, this setup is not so easy to manage. Your neighbours should also run routing daemons, as otherwise packets destined to you will not be able to reach your host.

To separate the LANs at the different neighbours I will set up in the boxes in router mode and apply a packet filtering rules to isolate traffic within the different sub LANs from the Internet traffic that is allowed to pass through.

Regarding this I have another question: it seems that the DHCP server in the router is within a service called dnsmasq with an appropriate config file. Is it possible to configure this to supply IP addresses from different subnets to different interfaces?
    sure, read dnsmasq manual.

Also, is it possible to set the IP address individually of all three interfaces eth0,eth0.1, and eth1?
    sure.

anyway, the stock firmware is not suitable for this things, consider using openwrt instead. it has quagga as well.

I know that the setup isn't easy to manage, that's what makes it fun I will be using wl-500gx devices at all three locations, so I was planning on running the routing daemon on all of them.

Is openwrt is the same firmware that runs on the Linksys units? If so, have a easily installable on the Asus devices? And what is quagga?

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.

I know that the setup isn't easy to manage, that's what makes it fun I will be using wl-500gx devices at all three locations, so I was planning on running the routing daemon on all of them.

Is openwrt is the same firmware that runs on the Linksys units? If so, have a easily installable on the Asus devices? And what is quagga?

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.
    I think quagga would do the job: it implements the different routing protocols.

I use it myself to integrate my wlan in my local network (and that is why I ported quagga to the wl-500). It is available as ipkg. If you need some help, let me know. I would anyhow recommend to use ospf as routing protocol. If you need help, let me know. As long as you have a usb stick or harddisk connected to each wl-500 you can install it

openwrt is running on many broadcom based routers and it works fine with deluxe with genereic-4MB firmware from the experimental build.
    quagga (was zebra) is cisco IOS alike routing suite. use google.

|

I think I'll stick with your custom firmwares for now, there's no point in biting over too much at once.

So I need to do two things:
    manually set the IP address of the three interfaces eth0, eth 0.1, and eth1. I assume this is done with the ifconfig command. it will most likely have to be run at every bootup (?), so in what files should I place the commands? Are the commands perhaps present in a file already so that I may edit them? I will also have to delete any bridges that are created and so forth.

Install additional routing software quagga. Is a USB flash drive sufficient? I do not really have the money to buy an external hard drive for each of the three routers. However, flash drives allow only a limited amount of write cycles, so they are not very suitable as storage for files that need frequent updating. What is the case with quagga? Also, will be installing the packet with ipkg ensure that the necessary daemons are started automatically at bootup?

Again, all your help is greatly appreciated!

Kolaf

llagendiijk: if you have a quick howlto of how to enable OSPF and restrict it to operate on certain interfaces I would be very grateful.

To get a clearer picture of what I am attempting to achieve, I've attached an image depicting the network as I mean to construct it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question on routing for backup purpose

Hi routing experts,

I have the following scenario:

ADSL router (M) with 2 APs (Asus A1, A2) hanging off.
    For Internet Backup I have a 3G router (Asus A3) connected to (M).

All LAN devices on same subnet.

In the case of (M) going down I want to have added a patch cable from (A3) to
    (A1) and (A2) and resp. routing.

How can I achieve that? quagga? Thanks and best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by llagendiijk View Post
    I think quagga would do the job: it implements the different routing protocols.

I use it myself to integrate my wlan in my local network (and that is why I ported quagga to the wl-500). It is available as ipkg. If you need some help, let me know. I would anyhow recommend to use ospf as routing protocol. If you need help, let me know. As long as you have a usb stick or harddisk connected to each wl-500 you can install it
    Hi llagendiijk,

I have the following scenario I would need your help with:

All LAN devices on same subnet.

meaning if Link A3<->M is down, Links A3<->A1 und A3<->A2 to be activated.

How can I achieve that? quagga and how so? Thanks and best regards.

Re: Dynamic Routing für Backup link?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    It's rarely used thing, so it would not be added to the firmware. You may need to compile it yourself.
    Hi Oleg,

Maybe you can give me a hint?

I have the following scenario I would need your help with:

All LAN devices on same subnet. See drawing attached.

meaning if Link A3<->M is down, then Links A3<->A1 and A3<->A2 to be activated.

How can I achieve that? quagga (RIP or OSPF..?) and how so? Thanks and best regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

or can I use a second peer with the Asus wl-500gp to switch between two links -in the event of one link down- as I think this works for Cisco routers? Thanks for any help or advice!