Thread: USB audio adapter for the WL500G

USB audio adapter for the WL500G

Hello,

Doen anyone know if there's any (not very expensive, high quality, stereo) usb audio adapter that can connect to the usb port of the wl-500g, and play audio (mp3) from a usb HD?

thanks,
    Last edited by gwl; 25-05-2005 at 21:25.
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

USB dongle AND usb hard disk? I don't understand, pls clarify:

Attached to USB port of WL-500g you propose to attach...
    1. usb music-playing-peripheral (for which you're asking for a recommendation)
    2. usb hard drive (with the music on it)
    3. both (via hub?)

- if 1 or 2, how are you trying to use the network to get/play the music (i.e. where is the other end of the process)
    - if 3, why are you connecting to the router at all?

I'm so stupid, i just don't understand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graldensblud
    USB dongle AND usb hard disk? I don't understand, pls clarify:

Attached to USB port of WL-500g you propose to attach...
    1. usb music-playing-peripheral (for which you're asking for a recommendation)
    2. usb hard drive (with the music on it)
    3. both (via hub?)

- if 1 or 2, how are you trying to use the network to get/play the music (i.e. where is the other end of the process)
    - if 3, why are you connecting to the router at all?

Hello,
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
    Here it goes:

You connect a usb hub to the wl500g.
    then you connect a usb disk (pendisk, IDE/USB disk, ...), with mp3, to the hub.
    then you connect a usb audio decoder(which one?) to the hub.

then remotelly, (wireless) from a laptop, you can get the router to play song A, or B, or even play an audio stream from the internet...

that's it...

I don't see why you'd need the playing-device...

Because media player would see the shared hard disk from the laptop (wirelessly), read it, and then transmit the data (still wirelessly) to a usb sound card. In which case all you need is a usb sound card, not an mp3-player type thing. That oughta work.

But there is a lot of data being moved there (both ways)... for a USB1.1 router at least. presumably hence you're wondering about something playing the data from the hub.

But even if such a device exists - where the only signal through the router is a controlling signal- , you'd hit a problem with upstream/downstream hub issues (and what fun they are!): a normal hub is 1->4 (say), where 1 PC (or router) can see 4 peripherals. But the peripherals CANT see each other. Ever. If you use a sharing hub, they become 4(say)->1 and the PCs can't see each other (via usb) - i.e. the dongle could never get its hypothetical control signal, even if it could see the music. [That also has the added issue that normally only 1 device can ever see the "shared" thing at once. Aside from the cost of auto sharing hubs... but i'm getting sidetracked]

The annoying thing with the plugin is it only works with win media player. But i can and do use it with intenet radio stations (classicfm streaming from internet also via the wireless connection), and it works. But its the laptop doing the decoding, sending a signal to a mere usb sound card.

Is there a reason you can't have the music on your laptop HDD? That would solve the high-data-flow problem if your laptop has to do the decoding.

hm?

he's talking about storage with MP3 stored at it, not a MP3 player

Quote Originally Posted by gwl
    then you connect a usb disk (pendisk, IDE/USB disk, ...), with mp3, to the hub.

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Talking

you guys all get him wrong. the router can be connect to a USB speaker so you can play sound wirelessly from your desktop right? now he wants to plug his own speaker which doesn't have USB connector, he doubts if he could find a little device to plug into the router so he could plug his speaker to the device. actually i'm looking for one too...

Oh is that all. £12.99 maplins sell such a dongle - effectively USB to microphone-jack adaptor (and it is compatable - i bought one for same purpose Albartchun. Link in compatable hardware forum.)

I thought was saying he wants to source the music from a USB hard disk on the router AND play it on another USB peripheral - hence my comment about ports/ data flow.

Quote Originally Posted by albertchun
    you guys all get him wrong. the router can be connect to a USB speaker so you can play sound wirelessly from your desktop right? now he wants to plug his own speaker which doesn't have USB connector, he doubts if he could find a little device to plug into the router so he could plug his speaker to the device. actually i'm looking for one too...
    yes... that's it!
    All I need I some sort of dongle that can connect to the router and act as a soundcard...
    Now, I know that this was discussed earlier:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2293 and
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?postid=10953#poststop

I'm looking for a device that has a high quality (stereo/analog) sound output...
    thanks.
    Last edited by gwl; 01-06-2005 at 13:00.