Thread: HTC-HD2 and iPad connect for WL-HDD

Question HTC-HD2 and iPad connect for WL-HDD

I'd like to connect my WLHDD as a Client to the ad-hoc network that the HD2 sets up in its 'internet router' function.
    Connecting up my (Wifi/16GB) iPad to the HD2 is easy, and brings me the portable hotspot function to get access to internet.

Now I'd need additional (HDD) storage and the WLHDD's other functions to make the setup complete.

Question is
    - How to get WLHDD on to the ad-hoc network (what menu/settings combination) ?

Alternative: Is it possible to use ICS over the usb connection with my HD2 ?

I have Oleg's latest FW, but am 'rusty' at the linux command prompt.

Help ?

Smile WORKS - Use WLHDD and HTC-HD2 to add iPad capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by gdraanen View Post
    I'd like to connect my WLHDD as a Client to the ad-hoc network that the HD2 sets up in its 'internet router' function.
    Connecting up my (Wifi/16GB) iPad to the HD2 is easy, and brings me the portable hotspot function to get access to internet.

Now I'd need additional (HDD) storage and the WLHDD's other functions to make the setup complete.

Question is
    - How to get WLHDD on to the ad-hoc network (what menu/settings combination) ?

Alternative: Is it possible to use ICS over the usb connection with my HD2 ?

I have Oleg's latest FW, but am 'rusty' at the linux command prompt.

Help ?
    ==
    I saw a number of views, but no solutions.
    Meanwhile I've come up with my own solution !

The basic problem is that the low-range iPad comes without 3G, GPS, and has limited (well ... 16GB) storage.

With the help of a few utilities however, these limitations can be overcome:
    -Hotspot
    The HTC-HD2 has a built-in capability to create a WiFi-Router.
    What it does effectively is create a mobile-hotspot with an ad-hoc network who's name and authentication-key you can configure on the HD2.
    -Add the WLHDD to the ad-hoc network
    I've had to fiddle with the Oleg installation quite a bit to figure out how to have the WLHDD join the ad-hoc network.
    Basically I've used the web-interface, wired connection to tell it
    bssid, wep (64 bit authentication key), ap only, auto-channel
    in the 'advanced' section I told it to be a 'STA' (station) instead of AP
    'apply' those settings
    next, in the command section I used the wl command:
    wl join hd2router key 0x1234567890 imode ibss
    wl assoc
    It then showed me that it had joined the ad-hoc hd2router network
    (notice that hd2router uses a 10 HEX CHARACTER key for authentication)
    - Making it last
    Once this works, you can make it the default start-up behaviour by
    a) adding the commands in the post-boot section of /usr/local/sbin and using the sequence flashfs save, flasfs commit, flashfs enable
    (you'll have to do that with a telnet or ssh session)
    b) finalize the web interface section with a 'final' with save&reboot

You now enabled the iPad to use the HD2's internet connectivity, and the WLHDD's storage capability. (and still be very mobile ...perfect around car where the WLHDD is powered by the car's battery)

But there's even more. You can easily
    - File exchange with the HD2: Use "Mocha ftp server" (free) on HD2
    - File exchange (ftp) to/from iPad: Use "Goodreader" (free) on iPad
    - File share/samba usage to/from iPad: Use "FileBrowser" (free) on iPad
    - Use the HD2's built in GPS: Use "GPS2BLUE" on the HD2 in combination with the "BTstack GPS" on the iPad
    and obviously lots of other utilities.....

In essence it transforms the 'cheapest' iPad into an internet-connected, GPS location aware LARGE storage, audio/video streaming unit.

Hope the info helps someone else as well !