Thread: Backfire 10.03 for Asus wl-700gE?

Backfire 10.03 for Asus wl-700gE?

Does anyone have the premade binary file like the one back2basic created for backfire? I want to load it onto my wl-700gE so that I can test it. I am having so many problems with Kamikaze 7.09 with it stopping all routing at random times that I am ready to move onto something new. I don't have a linux box to build it, but it needs to be less than 1.8MB... Please help...

I have backfire 10.03 running now 100%. Someone was kind enough to give me the boiled down binary. So far I have everything going including samba. I was able to add additional wireless enhancements to the unit by replacing the stock antenna with a chinese one and now my throughput is 20mbit/2mbit. I am very happy with the firmware and impressed with the stability so far.

hi! can anyone upload somewhere the backfire for wl700
    ge so i can download it?

I 2nd that request!

I third that rqeuest, with a few instructions too if that's possible.

root to hda1 on Backfire

I have succesfully flashed Bacfire image onto my WL700, but I can not fid a way to change root to hdd :-(

Though I can see both partitions mounted

/dev/hda1 to /mnt/hda1

/dev/hda3 to /mnt/hda3

The script I used on kamikaze (root2sh) isn't here.

I tried to use the pivot_root but I do not know which parameters should I issue to make it work.

I have even tried "brute" method of copying /rom to /mnt/hda1 and trying to modify /etc/config/fstab to make it boot from hda1 instead of /dev/sha1 which is default (and probably even disaled), 'uci show fstab' seems ok, 'uci commit' as well, but on reboot I am back or rom :-(

Please advise.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Another image here

Quote Originally Posted by szili81 View Post
    Have you tried that image? I think it might be too big? I found some pages saying that they had trouble flashing any image over about 1.8MB:
    https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=25699

There was another image mentioned here:
    http://www.ipvvi.net/?p=294
    but it was unavailable. Its supposed to include the pivot root to HDD. I just checked again and was able to download the 1.6MB image. I hope someone more knowledgable than me can try it and see if it works.
    (I have a WLHDD that I was able to get running Olegs firmware - thanks to the excellent tutorials. But information for getting backfire on the WL700ge is too patchy for my skills)

Please let me know how it works

Thanks in advance.

By the way, there is a new Linux kernel version available: 3.X.X. Somebody wants to give it a try?