Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WDS-Problems, How to set up?!?

Ok, i had some PM asking me for this mini howto.... I am not finished yet, but here what i have done so far.... I"m very short on time, and this howto still needs some rework i think..... Here it is, just take it "as is".

I recently switched from WEP128 to WPA/AES and was wondering if my second WL500G would be able to connect to my main WL500....
    I will do this how to in quick steps....... If you run into troubles just ask in the thread. As always, all you'll do is at your own risk. Do not blame me for anything happening to you or your belongings ! I assume you have a main WL500 already set up with WPA/AES.

I do not know if this is real WDS but,it is doing what i want it to do : connecting to wired PCs in a room to the main WL500 which is in an other room.

Here we go....
    Grab your second WL500g and load it up with oleg's latest firmware and then restore it to defaults settings. Cable connect it direcly to your computer. Additionnally i would recommend to turn of all other networks connection on the PC you are using (i.e.: Switch of wifi, additional LAN controlers...)

First go to "System Setup" -> "Operation Mode" and check "Acces point" and click Apply. Do not change anything to the wireless settings. Just click finish, but do not click "save & restart" on the next screen.

Go to Lan -> "IP config" and set IP to manual and configure an IP according to your network's configuration. Do not leave the default 192.168.1.1 address ! Make sure you will not end up with an IP conflict on your LAN.
    Click Apply, the Finish and Save & Restart.

While the unit is rebooting, you should change the IP configuration of the network card you are using to connect to the WL500 so that it can talk again with the WL500. I.e.: set your PC so that it has an ip in the same subnet as your wl500.

Now go to Wireless -> Interface. Enter the SSID of your wireless network, exactly as it is ! Respect casing !
    Channel :Set the channel to the channel, you WLAN is using. Letting this to auto will cause in the WL500 failing to connect to your WLAN.
    Wireless Mode : I have set this to Performance and checked 54g Protection, but i think setting this to the same than in your main WL500 would do the trick.
    WPA Encryption : I choosed AES. AES is said to be stronger than TKIP....
    WPA Pre-Shared Key : Enter the same key as in your WL500......
    WEP Encryption : None
    Passphrase : Leave blank.
    Leave everything else unchanged and click apply.

Now go to Wireless -> Advanced
    Here i entered the same settings than i entered i my main WL500, except "Extended Mode:" which i set to "Ethernet Bridge".

Click apply, finish and save & restart and your second WL500 should connect to your WLAN.

Do not forget to revert the settings of you network card to the one you had before starting this howto.

Now you can proceed with this awesome howto : http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

quasi WDS+WPA-PSK/AES working

Quote Originally Posted by max2950 View Post
    Ok, i had some PM asking me for this mini howto.... I am not finished yet, but here what i have done so far.... I"m very short on time, and this howto still needs some rework i think..... Here it is, just take it "as is".
    your mini-howto is working perfectly, thxs a lot.

i tested a wireLESS connection from my laptop to the second wl-500g/AP in "Ethernet-Bridged Mode" as described in your great mini-howto, but that doen't work.
    the accesspoint is down in that case. settings: "wl radio is on" and "ap=0" .
    so i put "ap=1" but then the quasi wds doesn't function anymore, the interconnection (quasi wds) between both wl500g's is lost.
    Last edited by jaapjeuk; 13-10-2007 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jaapjeuk View Post
    your mini-howto is working perfectly, thxs a lot.

i tested a wireLESS connection from my laptop to the second wl-500g/AP in "Ethernet-Bridged Mode" as described in your great mini-howto, but that doen't work.
    the accesspoint is down in that case. settings: "wl radio is on" and "ap=0" .
    so i put "ap=1" but then the quasi wds doesn't function anymore, the interconnection (quasi wds) between both wl500g's is lost.

If you wire connect to the second WL500, what do you have in your log and in your wireless status ?
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

syslog 2nd wl500g

If you wire connect to the second WL500, what do you have in your log and in your wireless status ?
    $ wl status
    SSID: "OpenWrt"
    Mode: Managed RSSI: -49 dBm noise: -94 dBm Channel: 5
    BSSID: 00:118:43:80:B2 Capability: ESS WEP ShortPre ShortSlot
    Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6(b) 9 11(b) 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]

$ wl monitor
    monitor is 0 (off)

$ wl assoc
    SSID: "OpenWrt"
    Mode: Managed RSSI: -49 dBm noise: -94 dBm Channel: 5
    BSSID: 00:118:43:80:B2 Capability: ESS WEP ShortPre ShortSlot
    Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6(b) 9 11(b) 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]

$ wl assoclist
    assoclist 00:118:43:80:B2 (mac of/to the first wl-500g)

$ wl wsec
    wsec is 5

wsec wireless security bit vector
    1 - WEP enabled
    2 - TKIP enabled
    4 - AES enabled
    5 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
    8 - WSEC in software

$ wl wpa_auth
    WPA auth mode 4 (wpa-psk/wpa-personal)

$ cat /proc/net/arp
    IP address HW type Flags HW address Mask Device
    10.0.0.155 0x1 0x2 00:400:87:CA:EA * br0 wired-pc to 2nd wl500g
    10.0.0.139 0x1 0x2 00:118:43:80:B2 * br0 1st wl500g

Wireless Status Log:
    Mode : Ethernet Bridge
    Channel : 5
    AP : 00:11:d8:43:80:b2 (mac of/to the first wl-500g)
    Signal : -39 dBm
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm afraid i'm of no help...... I can not figure out what is going wrong........

I'm afraid i'm of no help...... I can not figure out what is going wrong........

thanks a lot for your answer MAX2950.

the fact that your quasi wds connection works is quite logical: you do have a wired connection from a pc to your wireless 2nd router, your 2nd router is functional as "just" an wireless-client to the 1st AP/router, that's the same situation when i connect with a wireless laptop to the 1st AP/router instead.

in my situation i want to connect my wireless laptop to my 2nd wireless router, so my 2nd router must be functional as an AP+WDS (hybrid), which doesn't work when i 'am using wpa-psk aes. This is a known bug mentioned in:

http://wl500g.info/faq.php?faq=asus_wl_x#faq_knownbugs

8. Encryption WPA-PSK AES and WEP, WEP functions like it should but WPA-PSK AES does not function right.
    Affected versions: all stock firmwares

9. WDS using WPA encryption does not function. No connection is established.
    Affected versions: all stock firmwares except firmware 1.8.1.7

recently i'am using Openwrt (kamikaze 7.09) on both my wl-500g's instead. WDS + WPA-PSK / AES is functioning nicely now!
    Last edited by jaapjeuk; 14-11-2007 at 18:43.

Red face

Hi Jaapjeuk,

I have two PC's wired to the second AP.......... I can not figure out why it is working for me.........

WL-500g + WL500g Premium

Hi there,

I'm also trying to set up a WDS system at home,
    but I have a WL-500g and a WL-500g Premium... having problems

- would it be possible to set up
    - which firmwares to use on either router
    - WPA-PSK or WPA support if possible

So far I've tried with several firmwares from Oleg (not all possibilities were tested though, from reading in the forums)

Right now:

Both routers have respective Oleg firmware 1.9.2.7-8

Router #1 (right now, WL-500g Premium):

-Home Gateway
    - connected to a cable modem, routing WAN and (W)LAN traffic without issues;
    - DHCP Server on, managing IP address by MAC association (pool excluding Router #2 IP)
    - Wireless:
    Channel 11
    WPA-PSK
    Hybrid Mode
    MAC list has Router #2 IP
    Afterburner: off
    SSID: visible

Router #2 (right now, WL-500g):

- Access Point
    DHCP Server off
    - Wireless:
    Channel 11
    WPA-PSK
    Hybrid Mode
    MAC list has Router #1 IP
    Afterburner: off
    SSID: visible (Same as Router #1)

That's all I can think of right now, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by heimdall; 22-11-2007 at 12:03.

WDS with WPA/PSK? is there an easy solution yet?

Hi, I wasted this whole day to learn that wpa psk seems to work in the first place - but if you stress the wireless bridge (with a few ping ... -l 65500 i.e.) you see the bridge falling :-)

Then I switched back to wep128 and here itīs no problem stressing the bridge. Perf getīs slower on heavy pinging but it doesnīt break the connection.

Shall I try the openWrt firmware?

Is openwrt stable? I only know olegs modified versions so far.

thanks for info,
    schim

PS: Config:
    WL500g with stock ASUS 1.9.5.0 (latest orig one)
    WL500gP with stock ASUS 1.9.7.5 (also the latest for this model)
    both in hybrid / router mode
    only the one with connection to internet has dhcp (this seems to be important)
    same SSID /WEP128 with same key / same ch
    Last edited by schim; 06-12-2007 at 17:13.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by schim View Post
    Hi, I wasted this whole day to learn that wpa psk seems to work in the first place - but if you stress the wireless bridge (with a few ping ... -l 65500 i.e.) you see the bridge falling :-)

Then I switched back to wep128 and here itīs no problem stressing the bridge. Perf getīs slower on heavy pinging but it doesnīt break the connection.

Shall I try the openWrt firmware?

Is openwrt stable? I only know olegs modified versions so far.

thanks for info,
    schim

PS: Config:
    WL500g with stock ASUS 1.9.5.0 (latest orig one)
    WL500gP with stock ASUS 1.9.7.5 (also the latest for this model)
    both in hybrid / router mode
    only the one with connection to internet has dhcp (this seems to be important)
    same SSID /WEP128 with same key / same ch

I had no problem at all with stressing the bridge, transfering large files....

I posted a WDS WPA solution a time back.

And to answer another post in this thread, the SSID does matter, it's part of the WPA encryption.

Heres the link: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7954

Quote Originally Posted by kjetil View Post
    I posted a WDS WPA solution a time back.

And to answer another post in this thread, the SSID does matter, it's part of the WPA encryption.

Heres the link: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7954
    explanation:
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/nas

WL-500g + WL500g Premium WDS [SOLVED]

Hi,

I've finally managed to make WDS work with WPA-PSK!

Asus WL-500gP (in gateway mode, connected to cable modem):

Official firmware 1.9.7.5

Asus WL-500g (in access point mode):

Official firmware 1.9.5.0

Both routers:

1- Channel 1
    2- same SSID
    3- WDS Hybrid Mode
    4- same WPA-PSK key
    5- WEP disabled
    6- Mac access control disabled
    7- Wireless mode: Auto
    8- G Protection: On
    9- Afterburner: "Off"
    10- SSID: Visible

- DHCP Server enabled only on WL-500gP (the gateway)
    - WL-500g has MAC address of WL-500gP configured in the Wireless Bridge list (and vice-versa)

Steps 7 & 8 needed in order to have:

2 laptops accessing in Wireless 54Mbps;
    1 Nintendo Wii acessing in Wireless 11Mbps;
    1 Sony PSP acessing in Wireless 11Mbps.

With either Wireless mode: "auto" only or G "54Mbps Only", network becomes unstable.

WL-500gP - attached USB Storage, available to the entire network:
    Clients using Vista, Linux, XP

Known issues:

About every 24h, bridge between the two routers is broken, steps needed:

- Power down the gateway and the AP;
    - Power up the gateway;
    - Wait a few moments;
    - Power up de access point.

I'd like to be able to use Oleg's firmware with this setup, at least now I know that with these settings it works, I hope this may help others too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12