Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WDS-Problems, How to set up?!?

WDS-Problems, How to set up?!?

Hello,

I was very happy with my 500g so I thought about buying a second one to build up a WLAN over all floors of the house. Thats why I want to use the WDS-function, but I have some configuration-difficulties...

Here is my configuration:

Main Router:
    WPA PSK-TKIP
    Channel 11
    Router IP: 192.168.1.1
    IP-Range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99
    Hybrid mode

Secondary Router:
    WPA PSK-TKIP
    Channel 11
    Router IP: 192.168.1.100
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS-Server: 192.168.1.1
    IP-Range: 192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.199

Maybe someone has some experience with building up a WDS with 2 ASUS wl-500g. Oh, I forgot, I use the actual version from Oleg 1.9.2.7-5a.

Thanks for your help...

WDS with WPA will not work with fw 1.9.2.7-CR5a, it might work with WEP...

Use firmware 1.8.1.7-CR3 or 1.9.4.0beta if you need WPA, somebody have also made WDS/WPA work with 1.9.2.7-CR4.

I'm using both routers in hybrid-mode, and one defined as "home gateway", the other as "access-point". Same channel, same SSID. Ensure opposite MAC in bridge menu.

Suggest your LAN IP-series to be DHCP or manuall controlled by main router, don't split it up with main -.99, and secondary .100+. I'm using 192.168.1.1 for main router, 192.168.1.2 for secondary router, and all rest (192.168.1.3+++) for clients controlled by main router (even though they are connected via secondary router, this is automatically taken care of by the main asus).

Thanks you for the quick answer, I will try this right now...

WEP + WDS will work on 1.9.2.7-5a, but WPA + WDS will not run on it.

If you need WPA + WDS you should probably use 1.8.1.7-CR3 or 1.9.4.0beta like tonia said.
    Friend is runing WPA + WDS ( one router is in wds, and other is in hybrid mode) on 1.8.1.7 firmware.

So, back again.. I managed it to set up the wds with version 1.8.1.7-CR3

Can someone explain me why this function (WPA + WDS) is only supported until version 1.8.1.7-CR3 but not in the newer functions? Is this a bug or done with a special reason?

thanx a lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loki.mb
    So, back again.. I managed it to set up the wds with version 1.8.1.7-CR3

Can someone explain me why this function (WPA + WDS) is only supported until version 1.8.1.7-CR3 but not in the newer functions? Is this a bug or done with a special reason?

thanx a lot!!!
    it's only supported in 1.8.1.7 not before, and not after (correctly)

the screwed up again something

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

This is bad... Is anyone here who has some informations about future development? My WDS is stable between the two Asus 500g, but everytime when I use WPA-PSK the connection to my Laptop dies every 15-30sec.. When I unplug the second Router from Power everything is great. AAhh this sucks!!

try running these commands on both routers:
    Code:
    nvram set lan_stp=0
    nvram commit
    reboot

Thank you a lot, this works great!!! The only probmlem I still have is, that the connection between both routers dies sometimes, in my opinion when I transfer much data or use emule..

Question WDS with WPA-PSK

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    it's only supported in 1.8.1.7 not before, and not after (correctly)

the screwed up again something
    Any idea what went wrong? I'm now using Oleg's 1.9.2.7-5a firmware, downgrading to earlier releases would cost me IPv6 support (yes, I use it).

With a hint on what area to look in, I (or others) could perhaps try to backport the appropriate black magic from ASUS 1.9.4.0-beta to something else.

This older article about WDS states that WDS requires static keys so WPA isn't supported. Apple made it work back in firmware version 4.1 for the AirPort Extreme so it is physically possible...
    Last edited by lantao; 12-06-2005 at 19:34. Reason: Added URL

wds on wl-500g... again

hi everyone,

i am sorry to bring this up again, but can't seem to get wds working with my two wl-500g routers.

here is what i've done:
    router #1 is connected to the internet (adsl) and works perfect. both lan and wlan (wep) connection is possible. so i set "AP Mode" in "Bridge" menu to "Hybrid", channel to 11 the next two questions to "Yes" and added the mac address of router #2 to the "Remote Bridge List". in "Advanced" menu "Extended Mode" is set to "AP or WDS". the ip is 192.168.1.1 and i enabled DHCP from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254.

router #2 should only repeat the wireless signal, there will be no lan cabel attached. "Bridge" menu looks quite the same as in router #1, accept for the mac address (which now is of router #1). "Extended Mode" is "AP or WDS", too. it's ip is 192.168.1.2. the wep settings are the same as in router #1.

the SSIDs of the routers are different.

and this is what happends: i still can connect to router #1 without any problems via wireless and cable. internet works fine. plus i can connect to router #2 via cable, both DHCP and internet work fine.

but when i try to connect to router #2 via wireless nothing works. i don't even get an ip via DHCP. if i set a static ip on my laptop, i can establish a connection but still the internet doesn't work.

i tried for hours now, resetting both routers different times and changing setting over and over again but it still won't work. i search the internet and this forum (and followed the "guide" in the wiki) but nothing helped. i even updated from firmware 1.8.1.9 to 1.9.2.7 on both routers which didn't work either.

what am i doing work? thanks in advance for any answers!

Try the same SSID on both routers - the rest seems to be fine....

ciao,
    JBK

ssid "should" not matter

see if you can get an ipadres if you connect through utp at router2
    what does wl assoc say ? on both routers

do you use encryption ?

I don't know if this is still actual or has already been covered, but i managed to have bridge working using WPA-TKIP and AES.... If someone has interest i can post a mini howto....
    I was not here around for a long time, so excuse me if this is already answered elsewhere.....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

Quote Originally Posted by max2950 View Post
    I don't know if this is still actual or has already been covered, but i managed to have bridge working using WPA-TKIP and AES.... If someone has interest i can post a mini howto....
    I was not here around for a long time, so excuse me if this is already answered elsewhere.....
    i have also two asus wl-500g 's ,
    both have the same firmware: 1.9.2.7-7g
    everything is working fine, accept:
    WDS + WPA-TKIP + AES doesn't work and
    WDS + WPA + AES isn't working either.

So i'am very interrested in your mini-howto about this problem
    Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast