Thread: Is this a Modem? Or did I just burn everything?

Is this a Modem? Or did I just burn everything?

So I received this little fella. ASUS WL-500gp V2
    In the rush of fiddling with the tons of wires running through everything, I plugged in a 15V Power supply instead of the usual 5V one, so I heard some frizzling and burn-stench. I immediately unplugged it, of course, and when I plugged it in everything was fine. Everything worked, no exceptions. Well, except one.
    I can't make it work with PPPoE. I seem to need a modem to make it interact with my ADSL line - In fact, if I do connect my old ethernet modem to the WAN port, I seem to be ok and everything goes smoothly, otherwise the WAN led doesn't blink. Now - is this normal? Do I really need a cable modem or I just burned something important?
    BTW I tried all kind of settings, I even flashed the latest official firmware and DD-WRT. No dice. It just goes "Lost IP from server".

You do realize that there is a difference between a modem and a router?
    If not, look it up on Wikipedia for example.
    In short: no, you cannot connect the Asus straight to the dsl line. That's where the modem goes.

Quote Originally Posted by EdP View Post
    You do realize that there is a difference between a modem and a router?
    If not, look it up on Wikipedia for example.
    In short: no, you cannot connect the Asus straight to the dsl line. That's where the modem goes.
    Yeah, I imagined that. I always associated modem and router. At least now I know I didn't burn something. Thanks.

Well ..... you did smell something burnt and you heard that unmistakable sound.
    My guess is that you in fact did burn something, although we don't know what and it seems to be working still. Perhaps the other powersupply got fried?
    Because the Asus will draw an impressive 2 Amps, that may have been way more than the 15W supply can deliver.

In short: next time, make sure you know what you're doing, it's better for you and your toys.