Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compiling driver for webcam

Lightbulb Webcam.... Some Ideas....

First of all very big thanks to all of you spending time writing custom firmwares !

I was wondering if it is possible to implement some kind of MPEG4 encoder in the WL500g... But i think that the routers CPU might be a little bit weak for doing this...
    What would be great is a feature to specify the compression level of the outputed JPEG picture...

I also would like to port the ActiveX component for viewing the webcam to a java applet. Since i do not have enough free time to do reverse engineering i just wanted to ask if someone knows where to find the source code of this ActiveX component?

Best Regards....

hi again !
    I tried to do some packet sniffing on port 7777... But i could not figure out how the image data is organized within the stream. I thought the JPEG images were just putted one after each other on the network, but i was wrong... Any ideas?
    Last edited by max2950; 09-06-2004 at 13:02.

I also would like to port the ActiveX component for viewing the webcam to a java applet. Since i do not have enough free time to do reverse engineering i just wanted to ask if someone knows where to find the source code of this ActiveX component?

In fact, this router should be de-microsoftized. And replacing that ActiveX control for a Java Applet is really needed.
    But I don't think there is a need to study the ActiveX control. There is an interesting project called webcam_server that can be used as a replacement for the ActiveX control used by Asus:
    http://webcamserver.sourceforge.net/

I'd really like a compression-option for the webcam indeed (with my 64KB/sec upload I can get about 1 frame per 1.5-2 seconds...), but MPEG-4 is a bit overdone I guess; just some motionJPEG or any other decent but 'light' (in terms of cpu power that is needed) would be preferred (or required). and a java instead of active-x client would be even better! I'm no java and/or firmware-coder, so can't help with that; but can help with testing, where needed.
    -I am Jack's wasted life.

Hi!

Another webcam idea, if anyone have the time and interest to implement it: Encryption of the pictures so that only "authorized" people would be able to see them properly. If a Java applet is used, it could probably ask for a key, and use it to decrypt the images before showing them. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Java has standard libraries for doing DES encryption/decryption. I don't know if real time DES encryption would be to processor intensive for the Wl-500g box.

Regards,
    Samba

does anyone have an idea of what the output is that is send through port 7777 and might there be any media players for it?

I'm getting sick of this active X component
    amd2600 Ati 9700pro wl500g and lots more.....

Quote Originally Posted by ronin
    does anyone have an idea of what the output is that is send through port 7777 and might there be any media players for it?

find a client that is capable of receiving data from the program RCAMD, i don't know if this is some standard stream or something...

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

[Request] Adding spca5xx Webcam Driver

Hi

http://mxhaard.free.fr/camera.html
    Oleg, can you squeeze the Patch into the Kernel, maybe for .5 Release ?
    I Want to buy a very cheap webcam with this Chipset .
    Last edited by WlanMan; 16-08-2004 at 14:27.

Probably I can patch the kernel, have not tried yet, but it's not enough to make it work. It's also needed to adjust web iface, scripts and perform testing. I've no such device, so I can't do this.

Webcam drivers

Dear all,

Do you think sometime additional webcam drivers could be added or implemented in the firmware ?

As i am a total Linux n00b, what can I do if I have the webcam linux driver ?

Thx

JF

Hi

You would have to compile the desired camera drivers as a module for the mipsel kernel, in some way. I think this needs some more intensive tweaking of the configure scripts of the drivers or there integration into the kernel source tree of the development system. i tryed to do this with the Drivers for some ultra-lowcost sunplus chipsets, but endet up seeing the driver supported the cam only very ugly (incorrect shutter controll). You may check first on a normal linux box that the driver works well with the cam...

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Quote Originally Posted by ronin

You could give this a try
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

Webcam ... with camsource

Hi,

I'll try to speak well english,

Is camsource a software that can be implemented in wl500 with java applet of camserv?

I 've got a webcam server running with this configuration. It work fine and you can also send capture of webcam by ftp.

If you want to see the result: http://www.webnature.net/?page=webcam

Have a good night

Siegfried
    Last edited by smarechal; 20-03-2005 at 10:10.

More webcam drivers in kernel ?

Hi

This is probably for Oleg...

I have a Creative NX Pro webcam. This one dosnt work with the WL500gx router, but it DOES work in my linux, with theese drivers :
    http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

I cant make it work on the router, since the kernel source is not included in your firmware...and I dont know much about howto patch the kernel other than doing normal module compiles and so on....

Any chance that it can be included ?

It would add support for some 130 webcams....
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

Kernel sources ARE included to the ASUS GPL tarball, my sources contains all required patches for making custom firmware.

modules ?

But will it be possible to compile a module to load, or does the kernel here not support modules?
    macsat
    http://www.macsat.com - Tutorials and information on using ASUS WL-500G and family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast