Thread: How to: wire computers to wl-500g, and connect them to net with same?

How to: wire computers to wl-500g, and connect them to net with same?

Ok!
    Hello all!
    I would like to buy 500g deluxe. But not sure about something.
    I want to connect 4 computers (not in any lan, now) with UTP cables to the ASUS wl-500g DL, and using the same, connect them to the wireless internet provider - sharing 1 256 connection to 4 equal parts? With no need for turned on computer.
    So, i want [b]wired]/b] LAN in mu house to the WL-500, and wireless internet using same asus wl500g and externel antena on my roof with 5m of coax cable.
    Please tell me if this is posible, and if someone has any expireance, please help!!
    Thanks!

...i'm a newbie here, and any input will welcome, trust me....

hi

Quote Originally Posted by kombo
    ...i'm a newbie here, and any input will welcome, trust me....
    yes this maybe a good solution for you. you may connect up to 5 computers and set up bandwitch policy for each ip...good luck

If I understand you correctly you need to connect a coax (BNC) cable to the WL-500g. Since the Wl-500g does not have such a connection you'll probably need to get an BNC to RJ-45 Ethernet Converter to get this setup working.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    If I understand you correctly you need to connect a coax (BNC) cable to the WL-500g. Since the Wl-500g does not have such a connection you'll probably need to get an BNC to RJ-45 Ethernet Converter to get this setup working.
    well no he is talking about 3 routers:

seems he already owns the
    Asus WL-500
    and the Asus WL-500G

and wants to buy the Asus WL500g Deluxe to wire everything as it is not wired(?)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    I Think he's talking about an antenna here, brubber.

You can connect another antenna to the wl-500g (it must be usable for WIFI ofcourse), the WL500g uses an reverse-SNA connector.

But you can't use 2 radio's on the same antenna AFAIK.

I'm very sorry about my english and my confused writing....hope you'l continoue helping me....
    Anyway, i wanted to say,
    At the moment i have nothing....I only have 4 PCs that i want to give them internet connection. I want to connect this 4 PCs with wires to some wireless client* on my attic to share 1 wireless-internet connection. I want to connect external antenna, on the roof, to the same wireless client*, 3 meters below, to make the internet connection to the wireless provider AP, which is 3km far. I don't know which AP device my w. provider uses.

* - what device? 1 wl-500g (or Deluxe) can give this?

I know that what i want can be obtained by using any client AP with external antenna and device named (wired) router.

pc1_____
    pc2____ \
    pc3____ ASUS WL-500g____antenna___|:::::::3km::of::air::opt::visible::::::::|providers antenna, etc
    pc4_____/

I am not sure, but based on this posting it is possible. However exact steps is a bit unclear for me, possibly first configure all details of Net connection via web in Home Gateway mode and than switch to client mode, or doing all Internet connection setup using telnet and scripts.

I'll recommend to try before setting it up in real environment.

So it goes,
    Roofcat