Thread: PlayStation 3 Configuration with Asus router

Help with Wizd and Playstation 3.

Hey guys. I have Wizd installed on my wl-500gP V2 but I cannot see the server on my Playstation 3. I can browse to the router from my pc and see the skin and the file listings but the PS3 will not find the server. Has anyone been able to get this running? With firmware 2.6 and DivX support on the PS3 this would be very nice to get running so I can retire my Xbox1 running XBMC.

Thanks!

// Ike

So i removed Wizd, could not get it to work and installed ushare. The server shows up for the PS3 immediately but I get a "DLNA Error 501" when I try do do anything on it. Ideas?

// Ike

Well, I use wizd with my buffalo linktheater and it works just perfect.

All what I've done is to adjust the document_root in wizd.conf (together with alias)
    When I export my favorits from my browser and store it to hdd (and referenced by alias), I'm able to browse the internet, listen shoutcast radio aso.
    If necessary adjust the port (wizd.config) to your needs. (In my case port 8000)
    If you wanna have a quick look, just input into your browser http://routerip:yourport

With ushare, I had to much troubles.

have fun.......
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Well, I use wizd with my buffalo linktheater and it works just perfect.

All what I've done is to adjust the document_root in wizd.conf (together with alias)
    When I export my favorits from my browser and store it to hdd (and referenced by alias), I'm able to browse the internet, listen shoutcast radio aso.
    If necessary adjust the port (wizd.config) to your needs. (In my case port 8000)
    If you wanna have a quick look, just input into your browser http://routerip:yourport

With ushare, I had to much troubles.

have fun.......
    Odd, I could browse the Wizd server from my PC, but it would not show up on my PS3 (not upnp/dlna compatible?). UShare shows up right away on my PS3, but I get error 501 everytime I try to access it...

Quote Originally Posted by refinedmusic View Post
    Odd, I could browse the Wizd server from my PC, but it would not show up on my PS3 (not upnp/dlna compatible?). UShare shows up right away on my PS3, but I get error 501 everytime I try to access it...
    I use ushare, but you most likely need to enable support for your ps3 in the config file... dunno if you did that?

and no, ushare is not the best thing around... but it's good enough for me

twonkymedia has support for ps3 if i am not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I use ushare, but you most likely need to enable support for your ps3 in the config file... dunno if you did that?

and no, ushare is not the best thing around... but it's good enough for me
    I did enable the PS3 (and Xbox360) part in the config file. It does show up on the PS3 its just that when I access it from it it always gives me a "Error 501".

This is my ushare config file
    # /etc/ushare.conf
    # Configuration file for uShare

# uShare UPnP Friendly Name (default is 'uShare').
    USHARE_NAME=Asus-Router

# Interface to listen to (default is eth0).
    # Ex : USHARE_IFACE=eth1
    USHARE_IFACE=br0

# Port to listen to (default is random from IANA Dynamic Ports range)
    # Ex : USHARE_PORT=49200
    USHARE_PORT=

# Port to listen for Telnet connections
    # Ex : USHARE_TELNET_PORT=1337
    USHARE_TELNET_PORT=

# Directories to be shared (space or CSV list).
    # Ex: USHARE_DIR=/dir1,/dir2
    USHARE_DIR=/tmp/mnt/disc0_3/

# Use to override what happens when iconv fails to parse a file name.
    # The default uShare behaviour is to not add the entry in the media list
    # This option overrides that behaviour and adds the non-iconv'ed string into
    # the media list, with the assumption that the renderer will be able to
    # handle it. Devices like Noxon 2 have no problem with strings being passed
    # as is. (Umlauts for all!)
    #
    # Options are TRUE/YES/1 for override and anything else for default behaviour
    USHARE_OVERRIDE_ICONV_ERR=

# Enable Web interface (yes/no)
    ENABLE_WEB=

# Enable Telnet control interface (yes/no)
    ENABLE_TELNET=

# Use XboX 360 compatibility mode (yes/no)
    USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX=yes

# Use DLNA profile (yes/no)
    # This is needed for PlayStation3 to work (among other devices)
    ENABLE_DLNA=yes
    USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA=yes

Wasnt sure which one to use here as everything else is USHARE_ but the config only says ENABLE_DLNA

Smile did you try Mediatomb?

I was looking for a server on my wl500 so the PS3 could stream audio and videosfrom my shared storage, and Mediatomb works perfect: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...ips32el.tar.gz

Just unzip this on /tmp/harddisk, modify the config.xml to enable ps3 support (check the doc on mediatomb) and run ./mediatomb.sh. There will be a GUI so you can select which folders needs to be scanned by mediatomb.

My only problem is that it can't be run as daemon. I even tried to add a line to my post-boot but it didn't work.

No DLNA errors anymore :-)

Yann
    Last edited by bibi-phoque; 04-02-2009 at 21:29.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi-phoque View Post
    I was looking for a server on my wl500 so the PS3 could stream audio and videosfrom my shared storage, and Mediatomb works perfect: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...ips32el.tar.gz

Just unzip this on /tmp/harddisk, modify the config.xml to enable ps3 support (check the doc on mediatomb) and run ./mediatomb.sh. There will be a GUI so you can select which folders needs to be scanned by mediatomb.

My only problem is that it can't be run as daemon. I even tried to add a line to my post-boot but it didn't work.

No DLNA errors anymore :-)

Yann
    I'll have to try mediatomb then.

// Ike

So the other day after I turned on my PS3, all of a sudden I can browse the Ushare server on my router. I didn't change anything but now I can see all the directories from the shared folder. However I do not see any files (.avi in divx format). Why would that be?

// Ike

Exclamation PlayStation 3 Media Server

Hello,

Once again I have to ask this community members for help I would like to ask PS3/Asus router owners which media server to use with WL-500GP v1 to stream music/videos. I've read about ushare and mediatomb but I can't decide which to use ofcourse if any of mentioned works with PS3. Maybe some tips about streaming any kind of media to console, which port should i open to play online etc etc?
    Last edited by cichy; 20-04-2010 at 23:32. Reason: Thread change

Well ushare is said not to work for PS3.

Mediatomb is ok I guess... it doesn't indexes my MP3 tags that well tho

I use twonky at the moment, it indexes everything properly, works on my sisters xbox360 and it's quite lightweight imo
    Too bad it doesn't support subtitles, but when you place the subs in an .mkv you can play them and of course... it's not opensource so thats bit of a downside as well

Ok so maybe in brief which of those two (mediatomb and twonky) is better (lesser memory footprint, resource consumption etc)? Maybe some other questions:
    • which of these servers can stream avi files with subs
    • can .mkv files be streamed also
    • which twonky version should i use if i decide to use it and is it possible to register it after buying a full version
    • will wl500gp v1 handle this server simultanously with lighttpd, transmission, mysql and other standard running apps (samba, ftp, ssh)
    • what should i install first to make it all work and should upnp be turned on on my router