Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAN port dies with 10full/10half/100full/100half speeds.

WAN port dies with 10full/10half/100full/100half speeds.

Hi,

I know this seems to have been done to death but I have spent days looking through as many posts as I could find on this problem but none seem to help me, so thought I'd post my own specific SOS taylored for my setup.

Ok. I have a D-Link DSL-300T ethernet modem connected to my ADSL line, which is a 2 MB BT Yahoo connection. The modem is connected to the WAN port of the WL-500g router, which is running Oleg's 1.9.2.7-5 firmware. The connection speed varies quite a lot and so does the signal, but when both are good, the connection still drops.

The problem I have only seemed to start a few days ago. Mainly with bittorrent. When the WAN speed is on Auto, the wireless connection disconnects every few minutes, presumably as more peers are connected to, even though I have a max of only 40 peers, and this happens when I am downloading just one torrent. This does not happen when downloading from another source, such as http, irc. I have tried fixing the WAN speed through the ASUS web interface to 10full/10half/100full/100half but with all of them, the WAN light ends up OFF. If the router is powered on, the PWR light comes on, then the WAN light for a couple of seconds, then WAN goes OFF, AIR comes on, WAN comes on for a couple of seconds, then WAN goes OFF again.

I was hoping this speed fixing would stop my WAN connection dying under stress....

Could anyone please help me find out why the WAN port doesn't work with any fixed speed?

Thanks, really need help!

telnet to router and start pinging your ISP DNS and check for replies. If they're coming back - your WAN port is fine, if they does not probably WAN port is dead. Try executing
    Code:
    et -i eth1 promisc 1
    then and check if get's recovered.
    But for me it does not looks like WAN port dies issue... Something like too many connections or bandwidth is used.
    Do you've anything in the system log?

As for port speeds - you've to wait up to minute for connection with fixed speed to be established, this is due to the the fact, thet your modem is unable to negogiate settings, instead it should determine them on it's own.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! on fixed speeds, I have waited up to 5 minutes for each speed and WAN does not come back up. This is strange. I have tried un plugging the modem and router and all cables to see if connection will re-establish, but nothing.

The windows Wireless Network connection goes down every few minutes, but it reconnects in a matter of just a few seconds.. funny thing is, the 'duration' of the network up-time does not reset when the connection goes down and comes back up, it just carries on from where it left off. I will time it a few times now and see if it goes down at same time repeatedly.

I will try the command you gave me Oleg and report back.

Thanks

Unhappy

Oh, and each time the connection drops, nothing appears in the system log of the router... sorry if Im missing easy stuff, I know nothing of linux or much about routing either

I have the same problem that my wireless connection disconnects every few minutes. Running Oleg's 1.9.2.7-5 firmware and have a 10/10Mbit DHCP connection to ISP.

I tested to start ping to my ISP dns and this worked fine until I started the bit torrent client the connection died. I used the command et -i eth1 promisc 1 and the connection started again.

Any successions how to solve the problem

Quick update: I've been downloading 2 torrents and the following are the times the connection has stayed up for. Each time it comes back up, I have started the timer again.

1:16
    1:10
    1:15
    1:15
    2:12

Fairly consistent.

Guys, stop using abbreviations which you have no idea about. WAN is not wireless network, it's wide area network. The things you're talking about is WLAN.
    Wireless problems HAS NOTHING in common with WAN.
    Don't confuse me and others, better write down everything without guesses.

Kompi,

when you used the used the command et -i eth1 promisc 1, what speed was your WAN set as? auto/10full/10half/100full/100half?

When my speed is set as auto, the connection is re-established within 10 seconds automatically.

Sorry Oleg, didn't meant to confuse. I guess I am talking about both. The WAN port/light on the router - related to the the light not coming on using different WAN connection speeds (duplex modes), and my other issues regarding WLAN (Wireless network connection) disconnecting every minute regarding torrent connections.

Quote Originally Posted by nicd
    Sorry Oleg, didn't meant to confuse. I guess I am talking about both. The WAN port/light on the router - related to the the light not coming on using different WAN connection speeds (duplex modes), and my other issues regarding WLAN (Wireless network connection) disconnecting every minute regarding torrent connections.
    at least do NOT use WLAN to test if your WAN connection is dead

be sure only use client connected to LAN while testing

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

OK thanks Antiloop, will try that.

Oleg
    Connection from my LAN to WAN disconnects because the WAN port dies. My English is not so good but the fact is that the port dies. It is easy to say "stop using abbreviations which you have no idea about" instead of helping. I was registered today as a board member but you can cancel my membership immediately.

Nicd
    Good luck and hope you solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kompi
    Connection from my LAN to WAN disconnects because the WAN port dies. My English is not so good but the fact is that the port dies. It is easy to say "stop using abbreviations which you have no idea about" instead of helping.
    Have you tried ping & promisc problem already? Try this and post your results here. Other than that I've no idea to help you.
    In fact, 90% of WAN port dies cases means, that there is a Wireless LAN problem or misconfiguration in fact, so I'm tired reading this over and over...

Hi Oleg, Antiloop:

Something I have just noticed is that whenever the WLAN (Wireless network) disconnects and reconnects every so often automatically, the 'minutes since boot' resets in the 'System time' - 'status & logs' . Does this mean that the router is rebooting? which is why my WLAN keeps dropping?

I could attach a saved system log if that would be any use? sorry to be a pain but you seem to be the only people who know about this router inside out.

Do you have some sort of external storage available? If so you could put some lines in post-boot to record on the harddisk whenever a reboot occurs. You can also try making your syslog write to a harddisk for debugging (it normally doesn't survive a reboot).

Just some debugging tips.

Ps: Assuming you are running latest fw (1.9.2.7 CR5a). Maybe you should try some other firmwares..

PPS:Take a look at this thread: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1524
    It deals with a rebooting issue..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast