Thread: Add Crontab jobs to images

Add Crontab jobs to images

Hi.

Some programs should be executed every five minutes. Its easy to set up a cronjob table by hand after loging on the router, but if I try to make them part of the image they do not work. The crontab file is part of the image since I can see on the router; but calling: crontab -e exits with:
    " crontab: unable to create /var/spool/cron/crontab.316 "

my crontabfile:
    * * * * * /bin/foo # foo is called each minute

Makefile:
    install:
    mkdir -p $(INSTALLDIR)/var/spool/cron/crontabs
    install -D crontab $(INSTALLDIR)/var/spool/cron/crontabs/admin

Is there an other way to store 'static' crontabs? I think I could set them up via post-boot procedure but I though it would be prettier to do it this way.

kind regards
    DerFuchs

Why not just add /var/spool/cron/crontabs/admin to /usr/local/.files?
    Store it in flashfs..

S.

Quote Originally Posted by barsju
    Why not just add /var/spool/cron/crontabs/admin to /usr/local/.files?
    Store it in flashfs..
    Does it mean that /var/spool/cron/crontabs/admin would survive a firmware upgrade?

The firmware has to be deployed on nine routers. Thats why I prefer one ready-to-go firmware which can be upload via webinterface. Telnet and friends are also disabled for security reasons.

kind regards
    DerFuchs

Type flashfs save and you will see a flashfs image. Then read /sbin/flashfs script to understand the things.

Quote Originally Posted by DerFuchs
    Is there an other way to store 'static' crontabs? I think I could set them up via post-boot procedure but I though it would be prettier to do it this way.
    Do a recursive grep through the source for files containing the term "post-boot." I don't know exactly when it's called, but that'll tell you. You could put your crond command there, after post-boot is called.

Does it mean that /var/spool/cron/crontabs/admin would survive a firmware upgrade?
    Yes it will survive, but not be enabled. For that you need to type "flashfs enable".

So as I see it you can use Tomilius's way and have a one-step installation, but you will need to recompile each new FW.
    Or you can use my way, avoiding the recompile but having a two-step installation.

You should be able to use curl to make a script for upgrading all nine at once using the hidden admin page to call flashfs enable.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    Do a recursive grep through the source for files containing the term "post-boot." I don't know exactly when it's called, but that'll tell you. You could put your crond command there, after post-boot is called.
    Thank you. I found the post-boot call in rc/rc.c added eval("/bin/cronfoo.sh") which calls the setup cronjob script and rebuild the image. Everything is working now the expected way.