Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DynDNS Client - newB question

I have a premium account with dyndns.org (custom dns) that hosts my svensrud.net domain. This domain has an host called gateway.svensrud.net and I want the wl500g to update my ip for this host. I use this host for mail(mx) and web.

Thomas

WAN disconnect, DYNDNS, WAN die

Hello folks,

I have just recently bought a WL500g. As I like to telnet-access the router I have already flashed it with the custom 1.7.5.9 CR5 firmware. It's all been peechy so far, apart from two problems and one question I have.

First, the router does not automatically disconnect from the Internet after the time set in the web interface. The 'TX Only' option does not change that. Is this working in the 1.8 series of firmwares (or any other)?

Second, DYNDNS is not updating. Is that a bug in the firmware or me being stupid? (Settings are correct, though, and I *think* I managed to update DYNDNS manualle from the router once.)

Third, I have read the many threads about the WAN die issue, however, I am not at all sure about the current state of affairs. Is this solved by setting the WAN connection speed to 10full (in the web interface)? Is this issue universal, ie. does it happen with all routers (and modems)? I know the issue has been covered a lot, but after reading the topics I still don't understand what's going on...

Thanks for your help, the custom firmware, this forum and for being such a cool crowd!

Jabuaman.

Quote Originally Posted by jabuaman
    First, the router does not automatically disconnect from the Internet after the time set in the web interface. The 'TX Only' option does not change that. Is this working in the 1.8 series of firmwares (or any other)?
    This is due to external activity. Use search to find more.
    Second, DYNDNS is not updating. Is that a bug in the firmware or me being stupid? (Settings are correct, though, and I *think* I managed to update DYNDNS manualle from the router once.)
    Should work, sometimes does not work due to buggy resolv.conf parsing.
    Third, I have read the many threads about the WAN die issue, however, I am not at all sure about the current state of affairs. Is this solved by setting the WAN connection speed to 10full (in the web interface)? Is this issue universal, ie. does it happen with all routers (and modems)? I know the issue has been covered a lot, but after reading the topics I still don't understand what's going on...
    The problem still there even with 10full setting, but should happen less frequently. The problem is with et driver, probably it's get stressed at some point by receive errors or something. Workaround exists, which uses promisc 0 thing - use search.

Thanks a lot!

Just to clarify on the WAN die issue: Does this mean there is no real fix available yet? Will there ever be?

I have searched the forums for the disconnect problem, but I have not found anything particularly helpful. The only thing I can say is that it worked perfectly with the 3com router I was previously using... Is there a fix? If there is, would you care to point me to it?

DynDNS and NTP updates ...

Hi,

I've noticed this with fw 1.8.x.x (even with the new customized - not tested with older versions):

ntpd doesn't start at boot when I enable dyndns update.

Does someone experience the same problem?
    Is there a way to make this 2 settings working toghether?

japp, same here

but after two hours ntpd is running fine

dunno why... seems to be a bug

and as you already said, it appeared after activating dyndns

Well, this is a known bug. I've not looked for the reason yet.

Well, seems I've found a reason. I this firmware ASUS decided to modify nvram with last updated IP address, this results in changing of the nvram structures on the fly, causing lost of ntpclient args...
    I've fixed this also, wait for next release...
    Last edited by Oleg; 12-10-2004 at 19:16.

Thanks a lot!
    We're waitting...

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Well, seems I've found a reason. I this firmware ASUS decided to modify nvram with last updated IP address, this results in changing of the nvram structures on the fly, causing lost of ntpclient args...
    I've fixed this also, wait for next release...
    I've tried 1.8.1.7-2a...
    Things seem to be fixed... but after some "reboot" ntp service fails again!

I don't know if it is the reason, but it happens when I run busybox_httpd.

Now, there are two lines for ntp server settings in the web config. One with the correct parameters (time.nist.gov) and one that is blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    Now, there are two lines for ntp server settings in the web config. One with the correct parameters (time.nist.gov) and one that is blank.
    You can fill in a second timeserver as a backup for the first. Click on the url on the right of the edit-field.

I've added a national timeserver as the second timeserver. Now the time gets set immediately after reboot.

Time server configuration

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but everyone using NTP might wish to have a look at

http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers

Using one of these "dynamic" servers should guarantee that you always talk to a near-by, working server. I, for instance, use "europe.pool.ntp.org" although I *could* talk to the official German time servers at http://www.ptb.de/de/org/q/q4/q42/ntp/ntp_main.htm, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    I've tried 1.8.1.7-2a...
    Things seem to be fixed... but after some "reboot" ntp service fails again!

I don't know if it is the reason, but it happens when I run busybox_httpd.

Have you checked, that web iface reports version 2a? Also, you need to flash trx from the wl500g-1.8.1.7-2a.zip, not the trx in the 1.8.1.7-2a directory.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Have you checked, that web iface reports version 2a? Also, you need to flash trx from the wl500g-1.8.1.7-2a.zip, not the trx in the 1.8.1.7-2a directory.
    May I ask why? (I've flashed with trx form the download dir as well, because the link was not working at the time..).

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    May I ask why? (I've flashed with trx form the download dir as well, because the link was not working at the time..).
    Well, files in this dir are build using ASUS batch build and not tested.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast