Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DynDNS Client - newB question

other DynDNS services

Hello,

is it possible to add an other Dynamic DNS service to the WL500G?

I would like to use the http://hn.org/ service that is great and work with any domain name... but I did not find how to do this !

Thanks

Fredo, Brussels

my version is 1.6.5.3

Question DynDNS Client - newB question

Has anoyone got the DynDNS client to work ?

Any ideias on how-to workaround this problem ?

Thanks
    Pete

-----------------------

I configured the DDNS client throught the web interface (i'm using the lastest firmware from ASUS - 1.7.5.6).

Whenever my IP changes the DDNS client doesn't update the ip address of my domain (on dyndns.org).

Also if i click on the Manual "Update" it also doesn't update the ip on dyndns, doesn't report error, simply refreshes the page.

Performed the firmware update twice, everything seems to run ok, but didn't solve the problem.

There's nothing in the log that relates to DDNS.

Thanks
    Pete
    Last edited by peteredhair; 06-04-2004 at 10:05.

maybe it's handy to supply more information, please edit your post

tell us what you've tried,
    what your problems are
    what firmware are you using
    how do you test to see it fails ?

I'm using dyndns and it works fine.

Regards,
    Oleg.

I've got troubles getting it to work, maybe you have the same.
    My provider does not allow direct connections on port 80.

This means that most normal web traffic needs to go via their http proxy. As the box seems to use the standard 80 port for updating, it will not update for me.

As an alternative you could run some of the free DNS update utilities on your PC. mostly they pickup the correct public IP (the one your router got), and use that for updating.
    Last edited by erik_bies; 06-04-2004 at 01:18.

My provider allows all incoming and outgoing ports without proxy.

I'm running a Debian Linux box on it right now without proxy.

The Debian Box get the ip adress for WAN using DHCP updates the DDNS DNS Record using the ipchech dyndns client, and i have apache, postfix, sshd...,running.

What i wanted was to add wireless to my home network and at the same time have a PC with full access to the net, at the moment i'm limited by my own proxies for safety reasons, but that's only on my internal clients not the server.

Adding the router between my cable modem and my Linux Box requires that the router updates the dynamic ip address of my domain dns record on dyndns, and that it forwards all incoming requests for a certain port to an internal server.

At the moment i'm having trouble updating the ip address using the DynDNS, i still didn't check if ip forwarding works ok.

I'll check that today.

Thanks
    Pete
    Last edited by peteredhair; 06-04-2004 at 10:24.

Sorry for the delay.

Here's what i've done so far.

Change the IP address on my DynDNS registration, reset my cable modem, reset my WL-500g and watched that nothing happens.

Set the DyDNS offline flag. Reset the cable modem and the router. Nothing

On DDNS config on the router, changed the domain name (DynDNS) to mydomain&system=custom (sorry forgot to tell this i know it's important) as i found reported on DynDNS.

Reset modem and router, and the offline flag on my DynDNS registration disapeared and the router ip address became the IP addres of my domain.

I had configured a virtual server on the wl-500g in order to redirect all incoming request on port 80 to my internal server but all i get is the login prompt for the router, although i have disabled the access from WAN.

Guess my problem is now on the forwarding side.
    I have all firewall and filtering options disabled.

If you think i should take this to a new thread please tell, otherwise can you give me a hand here ?

Thanks
    Pete

PS: Still have to make a final test on DynDNS. It'll be:

Go to DynDNS put domain offline
    reset modem and router
    check that the domain is back online and the ipaddress updated .
    What for a lease renewal and check if the domain ip address is updated.
    (Can't do it this weekend, will do it next week)
    Last edited by peteredhair; 09-04-2004 at 02:20.

Originally posted by peteredhair
    Reset modem and router, and the offline flag on my DynDNS registration disapeared and the router ip address became the IP addres of my domain.

I had configured a virtual server on the wl-500g in order to redirect all incoming request on port 80 to my internal server but all i get is the login prompt for the router, although i have disabled the access from WAN.

Guess my problem is now on the forwarding side.
    I have all firewall and filtering options disabled.

If you think i should take this to a new thread please tell, otherwise can you give me a hand here ?
    you should not, it is a fact MOST routers do not support this from their LAN side
    you should ask someone else to test, or open a second internet line so you can access your IP from the internet instead of LAN

I currently do not know if this feature to do so has been added in firmware 1756CR1

Got it.

Next week i'll perform a new set of tests and publish the results.

Thanks for your (all) help.
    Pete

dyndns problem (wlanutil nslookup...)

hi there.

i've been trying to get ddns to work for months unsuccessfully.

i've recently updated the firmware to the latest customized one and i've managed to track what i guess is the problem. in the ddns update script there is a line that states:
    SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`
    i've tried this command on the shell and it doesn't return any value.
    i've searched the forum and the web for information on wlanutil but i haven't found anything, so i don't know what this application does....

could someone help me understand this problem?

thx

Which command exactly you've tried to execute? I beleive it was
    wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org
    wlanutil is the the ASUS brewed util which done many different things.
    My test run:

~ # wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org
    63.208.196.94~ #

Most of ddns problems are coming from the fact, what router does not get real internet address, but instead it gets the address from some other device such as modem.

Did my testing.

I'm now successefully runing my WL-500g in front of my web, mail server.

Configed a virtual server and redirect is done properly to my internal server, but this only worked after i upgraded to costumized firmware RC2 from Oleg, didn't try RC1 (Thanks Oleg).

As far as DynDNS goes it seems to be updating the IP of the domain correctly but here are some diferences from what i was used to when using ipcheck (a debian package):

When i set the site offline at DynDNS the DDNS client from WL-500 doesn´t make it online when it updates the IP address, like ipcheck does.
    However when i manually set the site online at DynDNS the new IP address of my domain is correct, so i think the DDNS client is working properly.

My lease hasn't expired yet so i don't know if my site will be available when i get a new IP address from my cable modem, if i get any problems i'll post again.

Things that aren't working that i need to check:

- WAN access to admin page on port 8080 is activated but it's not working.

- Can't access my site from my internal wireless net (already reported on thos forum and explained why not, it would be a nice feature to have though).

Thank you all for your help
    Pete

you may be right, but this behavior is very strange because i'm able to see my real ip address in the status section on the router's web interface.

i've also tried a normal nslookup like this:
    "~# nslookup members.dyndns.org"

and i get this as result:
    "Server: ns2.tvcabo.pt
    Address: 212.113.161.226

Name: members.dyndns.org
    Address: 63.208.196.94"

So the router is successfully getting the hostname resolved.

Sorry to get back to this subject, but i've trying to solve this thing about DDNS client not updating my ip.

I thought i had it solved but it's not.

However i made a new discovey.

Whenever the DHCP lease is refreshed and i get a new IP address the IP on DynDNS isn't updated, but,...., if on DynDNS config panel i set my domain offline, apply, and set it online again, the IP address is refreshed and the new IP is the current one.

Before using my WL-500g as a router to the inet i was using my linux server directly and this didn't happened.

The DDNS client i was using was ipcheck (http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/ipcheck, http://ipcheck.sourceforge.net/)

I've finally found out why !! My domain is a custom domain and that makes a diference.

What i don't know is what client is used in the WL-500g and if that client supports custom DNS.

Another thing i'd like to know is how can i see the logs on the WL-500g.
    On the web interface i only see boot messages and a lot of:

Apr 17 18:50:02 WL500g user.warn klogd: ALERTIN=eth1 OUT= MAC=00:0d:a9:6c:ac:56:01:04:28:26:30:8c:08:00 SRC=213.52.97.16 DST=213.72.69.34 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127 ID=11945 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4511 DPT=135 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Can't see any messages regarding the DDNS client, not a single one.

Thanks again for you help
    Pete

15. Unhappy dyndns: wildcards don't get set

Am I the only one who enabled the "use wildcards" option but it doesn't work? My IP gets updated by the WL500g at dyndns but the wildcard is not set. (Happened to me with all firmware versions...)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast