Thread: WL-500gp v2 crashes almost every single day

WL-500gp v2 crashes almost every single day

hi,

i have read most of the posts in this forum regaring crashes but most of them are about power supply problems which in my case is not the problem.

i did everything acording to wengi's guide. most of the crashes occur when accessing the smb on the remote harddrive, copying the files (1TB seagate - partitions made as in the guide) or after some period of time without any reason.

Max the router was working 3 days, in most of the time it crashes everyday. What is also interesting the WIFI signal is still there and the www pages are accessible but i can't connect to the router through 192.168.1.1 or ssh access. I have to turn off the power to reboot it manually (the reset button in the back of the device in not working)

Please help me if you have any idea because I'm thinking of going back to my old Linksys one which could work over a month with no problem at all.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by luke1984 View Post

Please help me if you have any idea because I'm thinking of going back to my old Linksys one which could work over a month with no problem at all.

regards
    1.) what means "crashes" or how do you determine a crash? Can you access your router, ping, webif, telnet/putty, LAN/LAN aso.

2.) Which firmware is installed?

3.) Is your hdd connected with an own power supply? Type of HDD?

4.) Which Linksys do you mean? Usually a Linksys is a bit different, just a few have usb ports. USB Ports are one of the big advantages of an asus, most of the regular routers out there can not beat an asus.

newbiefan
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

1) ping says no route to host both over lan and WIFI though as I said before it is offen that my WIFI network is accessible

2) wl500g-1.9.2.7-d-r1000 firmware, i will try to upgrade to the newest one today

3) Seagate 1TB ST310005FDD2E1-RK external with own power supply

4) WR54GL - it didn't have the usb port worked great on dd-wrt 24sp2 firmware but I've changed it because i wanted to have this usb ports (to use the harddrive, printserver and transsmision of course)

however this crashing is so annoying that I'm really dissapointed and don't have any more ideas what is the reason for my problems?!

Well, usually I would say an update can help - but everything is under development and therefore beta releases.
    I suggest to try the following:
    A complete reset before changing firmware.
    Then an older release like this one: http://wl500g.googlecode.com/files/W...2.7-d-r740.trx
    Or latest Olegs: http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-10/W...1.9.2.7-10.zip

Before changing FW, I would suggest to have a closer look at your logfile.
    Maybe you get some informations.

I use r740 firmware on a wl500gP V1 - this firmware runs stable and without any problem on my router.

In any case let your router run without hdd for some time, just to be sure that it's not caused by your hdd or use a stick in the meantime.

Hope it helps.
    have fun...
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

i've upgrade the router firmware to the newest one. seems to be fine so far. if it will still keep on crashing I'll try the one you've posted. tx for advice. I hope it was just a firmware matter not the harddrive.