Thread: Why can't I set a channel?

Why can't I set a channel?

I tried several different channels, and so far, I've only been able to use channel 6 or auto. With other channels, "wl status" tells me the channel is 1 and bandwidth is 20 MHz even though I selected 40 MHz. With such a setup, my laptop doesn't always show a network, and I cannot connect. When my laptop does show the network, it is on channel 1.

I've even tried resetting all settings to factory default, and I still couldn't change channels. I've tried both Oleg's firmware 1.9.2.7-10 and the new WL500W-1.9.2.7-d-r1087.trx.

I used to use channel 1 with 1.9.2.7-10 and it worked fine for a while. Then one day I couldn't connect and these problems started.
    Last edited by dreamlayers; 01-02-2010 at 19:15. Reason: Subscribed to e-mail notification

The most stable channel is 6. With 40MHz this will work almost flawlessly together with other networks even when they are on the same channel. hence draft-n works with multiple channels to get a higher speed.
    20MHz networks are b/g networks so again, channel 6 and 40MHz are the best settings

What network card are you using? are you sure it's enabled in the windows control panel, and do the settings allow connecting to b/g networks?

different firmwares shouldn't matter btw, since the drivers are precompiled binaries so there can't be any editing. Only DD-WRT has custom wireless drivers thanks to some sort of contract with broadcom.

Yes, channel 6 works fine; I don't need to change the channel now. I was just wondering why my WL-500W fails to configure for other channels.

I'm using a Dell 1500 card on my laptop. I think it's based on Broadcom 4328. I don't see how this is relevant, because this appears to be a router problem.

My card can connect to b/g networks but the router is set up for 802.11n only. Is n supposed to be able to work on channels other than 6?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamlayers View Post
    Yes, channel 6 works fine; I don't need to change the channel now. I was just wondering why my WL-500W fails to configure for other channels.

I'm using a Dell 1500 card on my laptop. I think it's based on Broadcom 4328. I don't see how this is relevant, because this appears to be a router problem.

My card can connect to b/g networks but the router is set up for 802.11n only. Is n supposed to be able to work on channels other than 6?
    Yeh well, like I said draft-n needs 40MHz, so when you have it on N only and the bandwidth goes down to 20MHz it's just not possible to provide a proper AP.

I have it on B/G/N and it works on all channels, but I prefer 6 because it's the most stable

My asus RT-N16 is able to provide a N network at any channel it seems