Thread: objectives? Why and how - basic help to a newcommer

objectives? Why and how - basic help to a newcommer

Dear all,

I know this information is scattered around on this forum, and others. I have looked, but the world of networking is a complex one, if you like I am used to connectivity just being provided for. All the discussion talking place seem to confuse me more...

So I just need some basic understanding of what the objectives - posibillities with a firmware change are/would be. I would be very thankfull for some general help.

My question is basically this: What do I need in order to get the following up and running on my 500-gp v2
    • LAN mediaserver, from which I can stream music and video to linux computers? It would be preferable if I could stream to the rest of the internet as well (with password of-cause) - but this is not necessary
    • Torrent download - so that I can download torrent files directly to the USB harddisk mounted to the router, even after I close my dektop.
    • Use as remote server (ftp, ssh, sftp, shfs)
    • Network printing
    • A nice webgui would be handy. I am not very good with shell

With original firmware, I can stream videos / music from some folders - but large folders "time" out when I connect via samba (read somewhere that this happens if there are more then 1000 items in a folder?). Also - since I don't use nautilus but thunar, samba is not ideal for me. I therefore think the best would be a solution involving GNUmp3 og MPD. Is it correct that for this to work I need to ditch the orginal firmware? - Can you point me to any guides/tutorial (is headstart II image working still?). If shfs or some other is running flawlessly i gues I could ditch the server completely, and just use rythmbox or some other local player?)

When we talk about downloading directly to the harddisk attached to the router, does this involve ssh to conect to the server, and then from there using a client to download? Or does the process run more smooth? - How?

For some reason lan ftp does not work. I can connect to myname.asuscomm.com, but not ftp://myname (even if I am on LAN). Is this a nown problem?

Network printing was easy to set up with the original firmware. If I change firmware I hope it will be easy there to.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I have conveyed that I just need a really basic introduction to the objectves of firmware upgrading. And since I am a lunux user - pls. bear this in mind. Its a linux machine that needs all this - not a windows.

Thanks again.

Hi,

have a look to my howtos (signature).
    This will be the basis incl. torrent and ssh.
    You can install the rest via ipkg.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)