Thread: WL HDD as a bridge from LAN to WLAN (Internet)?

WL HDD as a bridge from LAN to WLAN (Internet)?

Hello guys,
    very nice forum here, thank you!
    I have the following configuration:
    cable LAN (100Mbit) with a Linux Floppydisc DSL-Router (www.fli4l.de), some cable LAN devices and one laptop with WLAN (out of use due to lack of any other WLAN-devices).
    Now the Asus WL-HDD (at the moment latest default asus firmware 1.2.3.4) has arrived and at first a couldn't make out any use for the WLAN function in the Asus wl-hdd. I only use the NAS function in my cable LAN.
    Anyway, i configured the asus as an accesspoint and it works fine with the laptop. I can access all cable LAN-devices in my LAN (no problem with pings). But i cannot access the internet via WLAN on the laptop when it' not connected to cable LAN. I have fixed IPs here, no DHCP. I also typed in the correct DSL-router gateway IP in the asus wl-hdd setup.
    Is it possible to use the Asus WL-Hdd as a bridge from the cable LAN to WLAN with full internet access?
    Thank you all in advance!
    Bye,
    Johannes
    Last edited by jpritzkat; 01-05-2005 at 22:09.

Smile Re: WL HDD as a bridge from LAN to WLAN (Internet)?

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by jpritzkat
    Is it possible to use the Asus WL-Hdd as a bridge from the cable LAN to WLAN with full internet access?
    I have good news for you. Yes, it's perfectly possible. I've used my WL-HDD as AP with laptop being able to connect to any machine in my wired network (and vice-versa), and being able to connect to internet via local proxy on wired side. Your WL-HDD acts as normal wired hub, so I think it's only the network settings (IP addr (static or DHCP), DNS, router and proxy in some conf.) that you have to correctly set-up to get connection to internet. Check it twice. I also suggest you check if some firewall or nearest switch (your local or ISP) is not filtering traffic by means of allowed MAC addresses.

Magus

Hello Magus,
    thank you very much, I'll check everything twice...

EDIT: with another Laptop and a WLAN PCMCIA it works - Internet via WLAN.

Fine!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by jpritzkat; 02-05-2005 at 13:13.