Thread: How to use a disk with Oleg's?

How to use a disk with Oleg's?

Hi there. I'm not very experienced with linux nor networking so I have some basic questions. I have WL-500gP and found out (as many ppl here) that the official firmware pretty much sucks (especially torrent not working), so that's why i want to switch to some real peace of firmware, like Oleg's.

I checked the install instructions and I see that it needs a disk to be used with the router (which I intend to do of course, but only for data). So what is installed on the disk? As I understand the system is in the router itself. Do I need to install something to the disk for Oleg to run properly? I would like to use these features: torrent, ftp, apache + php.

I would like to connect a 1TB HDD to the router, but most of the time it would be switched off or disconnected - is this a problem if I install the stuff to the first partition of the disk? What kinds of things would I be unavailable to do when the disk is not connected to the router?

Is it better to use e.g. a small flash disk and install the system there and then be able to have it connected to the router all the time? Then would I be able to save data from torrent to the HDD connected to a different USB port even when the torrent program is installed on the flash disk? Same with ftp...

What is the optimal solution? Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me a bit

Hi,

if you have a look at my howto you wil see three partitions: swap, opt and data.
    Data is on the hdd. Fore sure.
    You can use an usb stick for /opt.
    Swap can also reside on the usb stick but will reduce stick-lifetime because of more r/w operations.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)