Thread: USB power cable?

USB power cable?

i'm not too keen on lugging my power adapter around, so i'm thinking of trying to see if i can power the wl-hdd from my USB port, especially since my nc6000 has a powered connector that MIGHT deliver more than the standard 500ma current (not sure, wasn't able to find out in documentations). USB also happens to deliver 5V, which is the same as the power adaptor.

unfortunately my existing power cables don't fit, so i thought i might try to find the correct plug and do something like this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gregston/sidekick_usb_power/

also, in case it doesn't supply enough power, maybe i could do something like this:

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-power-cable-mini-b.html

that way by connecting two ports' power supply in parallel i should similarly be able to get at least 900ma. Still short of the 2a my power adaptor provides, but maybe it'd be enough? that way i can have the same convenience as my original low-tech casing and don't have to scramble for a power point.

just wondering if anybody already tried this?

It works with a simple usb cable, but i'm not sure it is reliable in long term. I've been using my PDA charging cable for this

that's great to know it works. thanks!
    yes, that's part of what i was worried about, whether the max current draw would be too great at some point. probably depends on the power-hungriness of the drive you put in it, and how much you're doing at the moment.
    i guess if it starts demonstrating unstable behaviour then i could start trying a two-headed cable solution.

also cable for A716 (carkit charger cable) has the same connector as the WL-HDD

one side is USB other side is the connector which fits into Asus Mypal A716/A730 and WL-HDD

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by smloh
    probably depends on the power-hungriness of the drive you put in it, and how much you're doing at the moment.
    i guess if it starts demonstrating unstable behaviour then i could start trying a two-headed cable solution.
    If it can boot and you can still hear the HD after 2 minutes, then you are set. But remember some USB encasing are badly plugged in the PC box, and this might give a bad discharge to the wl hdd. This should be seen as a short term solution on non electricaly trusted PC

thanks, hugo, Antiloop, i will be looking for a suitable cable today.

Hi everybody,

Quote Originally Posted by smloh View Post
    thanks, hugo, Antiloop, i will be looking for a suitable cable today.
    I just got a WL-HDD a few days ago and was wondering the same thing. Now that you have probably tried it over time, what are your results? Did it work out with a USB power cable or did you experience unstable behaviour/crashes?
    Would be great if you could share your experience !

CU!

Frederik.

Probably outdated, but I've did tne next thing:

I took a USB plug (just form an USB extension cable), I took the black and the red cable and attached is to the ASUS plug (the one that fits in the WL-HDD).

Now I can power the WL-HDD from my laptop. It works fine.

Ollie

Talking portable power USB

I have been using a psp (playstation portable) rechargeable powerpack to use the WL-HMD as a totally portable media server!
    Its stretching the limits of stated capacity (1A) power drain, especially on HD spin up. You will find that any usb/psp adaptors will fit the drive.

USB Powering works fine; Car Adapter

I can too confirm that USB powering WL-HDD (oleg firmware, 20GB IBM/Hitachi hdd) from USB works reliable with my Fujitsu-Siemens T4010 Laptop.

The next stunt I tried was to plug my USB-Power-Cable to an 12V car-to-usb-adapter that came with my Motorola A780 mobile phone to use the WL-HDD in my car - works like a charm.

Thanks for the PSP-hint, this is nice.

Bye,
    PHPat