Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO install debian on 128 mb usb stick

USB Soundcard support

Hi,
    I had managed to boot debian from USB drive on WL-500W. But the USB soundcard is not recognised. I have installed alsa-base, alsa-utils, alsa-oss drivers, yet USB soundcard is not recognised. Could anyone please assist me? its the only thing holding me back to complete my project.

debian version of openwrt bridge&switch configuration

Hi,

I'm working on putting Debian on USB stick on my Asus WL-500gP. Everything is prepared but /etc/network/interface configuration file.

I don't know how to do bridge and switch configuration in the same way as it is in OpenWRT by default for this device.

Can someone save me some time and paste me his configuration so I won't need to learn it?

(it will also be stored here as hint for others...)

Thanks!

Debian on the WL-500gP V2?

I'm thinking of trying debian on my WL-500gP V2, but all topics and guides I've found are for V1. What should I do to get debian on my V2?

Here is a nice tutorial: http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe
    But the OpenWRT-image ("openwrt-brcm-2.6-jffs2-128k.trx" image) seems to be only for V1 and there is also one for the the newer WL-500W, but none for WL-500gP V2.
    How would I get the OpenWRT kernel image for V2? Or can I use Oleg to load debian in some way?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/brcm47xx/
    I have installed on my wl500gpv2 without any problems.
    RT-N16, SSD-60, lighttpd, Mysql, Squid 2.7, Xmail, Openvpn, bind, Dreambox 500 + WL500gpV2 (OpenWRT) IPsec

Thumbs up Works nicely, if a bit fiddly

I once installed custom OpenWrt 2.6.31.9 w/ USB boot on v2(!) december 2009,
    fixed b44 driver netconsole issue, some other issues, discovered missing USB host controller kernel callback issue on OpenWrt's SSB USB driver sources.
    Currently running this kernel with FTDI USB, USB storage boot, Debian etch.
    usb-audio (one of the more important uses for me) does NOT work on 2.6.31.9 (OOPS due to DMA issues suspected - see lengthy LKML discussions on MIPS / ARM cache coherency).

Etch is working absolutely lovely on this thing, IMHO much better than a more limited OpenWrt setup (imagine a box with functionality equivalent to any small-scale x86 server you set up, just that this box uses only 7 Watts with USB hub plus SEVEN USB devices connected...). Would need to do an upgrade to current Debian stable soon, though.

Will now transfer that working setup to my second (non-development: no serial headers, not cracked open, ...) box, then I'll work on getting an OpenWrt setup running with current OpenWrt repository/kernels.

Booting kernel images externally stored on USB is said to be supported, too, since some guy got kexec working. Sounds like a very interesting option to me, no more flashing, just generic "bootloader-type" use like on any x86 boot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234