Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB ADSL Modem

and to answer my own questions...

Quote Originally Posted by NickFortune
    Which firmware version did you patch against, and should I patch against broadcom/src/wl500g-W.X.Y.Z or against the broadcom/src/gateway dir.
    It patches against the 1.7.5.6-5 version, and applies to the wl500g directory where Oleg's stuff resides. It was in the diff file if I'd thought to look.

update

which is interesting since the 1.7.6-5 GPL sources don't appear to exist on the ASUS site. There's 1927 1817 and 1697. I assume I should be looking for 1765 in there. (This is starting to feel like a history lesson...)

Meanwhile I've been working on a manual install of the speedtouch drivers to the latest 1.9.2-7 custom sources. The problem is the kernel makefile doesn't seem to have a bzImage target. I suppose I could just compile the modules, since all I really need from there is the n_hdlc.o module...

I got it working...

I got it working (I think) but it doesn't help much. The firmware file is too big to store in flash.

I had thought that I could combine my speedtouch modem and wireless AP to get an ADSL wireless router with full control over the firewall via iptables. Looks like I get to stick with my gateway box setup.

Of course, if I'm missing anything obvious, do please tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFortune
    I got it working (I think) but it doesn't help much. The firmware file is too big to store in flash.
    This is that I'm talking exactly. You will need external usb drive/stick or http server in your LAN to grab the firmware.

yup

mmm... and that would require a USB hub to manage access to the drive and the modem together, which is going to be way more resources that anyone will want to throw at this. Too much enthusiasm and not enought careful reading on my part.

Oh well, at least it's been educational.

speedy or not?

for those that have tried this, can I just ask what your ping times are going from your main PC though the router, to the internet via the USB connected ADSL modem and what they are with just the USB adsl modem connected directly to your pc.

I'm curious to see how fast this solution is.

I've been looking for a decent open source router box to hack around with for ages and I accidentally bought a WL500g today (wasn't paying attention when i bought it - thought i had adsl built in ) and I've been wondering if it's as fast as my connexant based addon-tech.com arm 9100 router (which runs linux but I can't find the source code to it) which compared to my old Efficient (lol!) Networks 5861 Router provides much faster connections. (8ms on the arm9100 compared to 30ms on the 5861 to my ISP).

the ping time is dependent on the adsl standard being used by modem and not on the cpu power.

can't setup speedtouch 330

Hi,

I was trying to setup alcatel speedtouch 330 (USB) with my ASUS WL-500gx, but I had no success.
    I think I'd followed the steps like Very said, but som things differ in my configuration:

- I think I've upgraded the firmware, but my router doesn't have sshd (I connect to the router and make scp to my pc to copy files). What I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) I must copy "options" to /etc/ppp and "adsl" to /etc/ppp/peers. I've done that and after I've copied the 3 other files to /tmp/alcatel/ more the alcaudsl.sys (obtained from my windows drivers). I execute step 3, 4, wiat a minute and try "pppd call adsl updetach", but I get an error "/tmp/ppp/peers/adls file not exists", so I've copied it to that directory. Than I can execute the command but I think there is no good result:

"
    using channel 92
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/6
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xc5a59c6d>]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xc5a59c6d>]
    LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Connection terminated.
    using channel 93
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/7
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x6 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x2d7024bb>]
    "
    and the console was going in a "while (true)"

There are a few thing I don't understand:
    To setup the usb modem I need to execte the part "In more detail... to build HDLC support:" ???

If anyone could explain me what i did wrong and how I can setup the router, I would appreciate, and try to make a manual in Portugues and English with a detailed explain on how to install speedtouch alcatel usb modem.

Thanks,
    goncalo

i'm currently trying to get my Aztech Turbo 100 Globespan-chipset usb adsl modem working, using the eciadsl drivers, and it's looking good so far, although i haven't actually connected.

i don't think you need to build hdlc support, i just grabbed the n_hdlc.o provided by veri, did "insmod n_hdlc.o" and it was okay (so far).

i have a debian install on my wl-hdd, so since i haven't set up a proper build environment, i thought i'd just try to get it working in the debian chroot first. only thing i had to do was do a "mount -o bind /proc/bus/usb <debian dir>/proc/bus/usb" so that usb devices could be seen from within the chroot.
    seems to be working pretty well so far, although like i said i haven't got the chance to actually try connecting it. the modem does light up though and eciadsl detects its chipset properly, says i've got no link, etc..

i think the whole eciadsl package might be a little big if you want to fit it on the flash, though.

Just thought i'd share my progress with any globespan usb modem owners.

1.9.2.7-6b with ADSL via Speedtouch USB (no external storage needed)

Ok, I did this about a year ago with the 1.7 releases, and today decided to upgrade to 1.9. You do NOT need an external USB drive, contrary to some posts I have read, providing you remove some stuff unnecessary to you (e.g. take your pick from some of www configuration interface graphics, nfs, samba, lpd support, webcam, audio, all of which is installed by default...).

These instructions are to indicate how to manually build from source, so people can actually get it working. I haven't uploaded a public TRX since the modem firmware files are (c)opyrighted.

KEY:
    # = follow these instructions;
    $ = type this;
    ### = follow this undocumented step if you had problems with compilation like I did, due e.g. to gcc version;
    *** = follow this step specifically to incorporate ADSL Speedtouch USB modem support.

# The stuff you need:
    - GPL_1927.tar.gz from Asus;
    - hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2 and wl500g-1.9.2.7-4.tar.bz2 from http://wl500g.dyndns.org/;
    - the speedtouch-package directory, into which you throw:
    -> modem_run and pppoa3, enclosed, which are compiled unmodified from http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/;
    -> KQD6P1.eni and KQD6P2.eni or equivalent firmware files for your Speedtouch modem, eg from Thomson site.

$ apt-get install libncurses-dev gawk zlib1g-dev # or equivalent for your package management system

$ tar -C /somewhere -xzf /path/to/GPL_1927.tar.gz
    $ cd /somewhere/broadcom/ && mv opt /
    $ tar -C / -xjf /path/to/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2
    $ tar -C /somewhere/broadcom/src -xjf /path/to/wl500g-1.9.2.7-4.tar.bz2
    $ export PATH=$PATH:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/bin

$ cd /somewhere/broadcom/src/wl500g-1.9.2.7-4
    $ make uClibc
    $ make kernel
    ### edit mconf.c:91 remove "static" to fix error: static declaration of ‘current_menu’ follows non-static declaration
    $ make
    *** edit kernel .config: add (eg via "make menuconfig" in src/linux/linux) character devices/non-std/generic hdlc line discipline support
    $ cd /somewhere/broadcom/src/gateway
    ### e2fsprogs/util/Makefile remove "-dintptr_t=long" to fix double declaration of type specifier error
    $ make

### mksquashfs.c:489,549 change the assignments to occur over 2 lines, since recent gcc considers invalid lvalue cast
    *** ln -s speedtouch-package broadcom/src/gateway/others/speedtouch
    *** comment stuff out under "# custom firmware" in broadcom/src/gateway/Makefile to make space
    *** add to main broadcom/src/gateway/Makefile package-% target, just before "Prepare filesystem", maybe freeing up more space first, for the new binaries and modem firmware image: (adjust deletions as appropriate)
    -> # speedtouch
    -> rm -rf $(TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/usb/audio.o $(TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/usb/ov*.o $(TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/*/kernel/fs/nfs* ($TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/*/parport/*.o
    -> mkdir $(TARGETDIR)/usr/speedtouch && cp others/speedtouch/* $(TARGETDIR)/usr/speedtouch
    $ make image-WL500g

# upload your trx image to the router via the web interface; wait a lot; power cycle router; wait a bit
    # hold down reset button, wait until power button starts blinking rapidly then release; reconfigure at http://192.168.1.1/

*** prepare a firewall script - your WAN-side interface is ppp0, LAN-side is br0

*** install a boot-time connection script something like (very much like, if you use a BT-derived ADSL product):

#!/bin/sh

# make config files

/bin/mkdir /tmp/ppp/peers
    /bin/cat >/tmp/ppp/peers/adsl <<EOF
    # debug
    # kdebug 1
    noipdefault
    defaultroute
    pty "/usr/speedtouch/pppoa3 -v 1 -m 1 -c -vpi 0 -vci 38"
    sync
    user "YOUR USERNAME HERE"
    mtu 1458
    noauth
    noaccomp
    nopcomp
    noccp
    novj
    holdoff 4
    persist
    maxfail 25
    usepeerdns
    EOF

/bin/cat >/tmp/ppp/chap-secrets <<EOF
    "YOUR USERNAME HERE" * "YOUR PASSWORD HERE" *
    EOF
    /bin/chmod go-rwx /tmp/ppp/chap-secrets

# upload firmware to modem

/usr/speedtouch/modem_run -t 20 -v 2 -a /usr/speedtouch/KQD6P1.eni -f /usr/speedtouch/KQD6P2.eni

# go!

/usr/sbin/pppd call adsl updetach
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Veri; 17-07-2005 at 18:27.

I should have seen THAT coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Veri
    Ok, I did this about a year ago with the 1.7 releases, and today decided to upgrade to 1.9. You do NOT need an external USB drive, contrary to some posts I have read, providing you remove some stuff unnecessary to you (e.g. take your pick from some of www configuration interface graphics, nfs, samba, lpd support, webcam, audio, all of which is installed by default...).
    Hah! You would say that after I just splurged on a hub and a usb drive

Incidentally, the semi-colon got included in your url for wl500g.dyndns.org. It gives a 404 at the moment, although anyone who gets this far probably knows enough to figure it out.

Oh well, once more into the breach and all that..

Error reading from source device

Well, I tried it!

Trouble is ppp0 never comes up. I found this in the log file.
    Code:
    Info  >1024< pppoa3 version 1.3 started by foozle (uid 0)
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:16 1970] Info  >1024< Control thread ready
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:16 1970] Info  >1024< Modem found!
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:16 1970] Info  >1026< host  --> pppoa3 --> modem stream ready
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:16 1970] Info  >2051< modem --> pppoa3 --> host  stream ready
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:47 1970] Error >1026< Error reading from source device
    Reason : Input/output error
    Info  >1026< Cleaning Read from usb data
    [Thu Jan  1 00:12:47 1970] Error >1024< Woken by a sem_post event -> Exiting
    Info  >2051< Cleaning Write to usb data
    Info  >1024< Write to usb Canceled[Thu Jan  1 00:12:47 1970] Info  >1024< Closing PPPoA3 log file

There's nothing the connect error file, which, combined with the "reading from source device" error, suggests that I'm not even getting off platform.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about finding a solution?

One thing: I have one of the revision four silver devices. I've got the proper firmware - at least it works when the blasted thing is attacked to my desktop box.

Oh well, reverting to previous usage for the time being...

Lightbulb Working packages for openwrt

I have built packages for openwrt that might also be useful for oleg's firmware. I am keen to hear feedback: The instructions for configuring them are located here, though note you can skip step 1, starting by installing the standard openwrt firmware.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to have CDCEther kenrel module compiled in order to make use of my Terayon TJ-715 cable modem connected to the router via USB.

Here is the guide that describes how set up my modem under Linux
    http://www.freewebs.com/linuxnet/CableUSBLinuxEn.html

If someone here has a build environment set up and fortunately has compiled CDCEther.o module for MIPS - I'll be very thankful if you share it with me.

P.S. I'm trying to make use of USB firmware located at
    http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/166/
    - Due to a similar filename it seems like modified Oleg's firmware with USB support (pls correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway the firmware looks very similar to the Oleg's one and it also contains web UI to configure USB modem as backup connection - that's what I'm trying to achieve.

I'll appreciate any help and/or tips regarding this.

This reminds my of getting our P90 router running the speedtouch frog. It's perfectly possible, though the speetouch .o file is not redistributable _I think_ (boo?).

It's perfectly possible to have it all working from one firmware file, with some work.

Unfortunately I now use ethernet or I would have a go. Shame I have to use PPPOA though

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast