Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB ADSL Modem

Re pthreads - pppoa3 is designed multithreaded. There is an earlier version of the pppoa daemon, pppoa2, which isn't, but I don't think it's being worked on any more. All that's required to use it instead is substitute copy+strip of pppoa2 for pppoa3 in ipkg/rules and then change the line in /etc/ppp/peers/adsl to reference the other binary.

The advantages of the ipkg method described:

(1) It's quicker, less error-prone and more flexible to just select a set of modular pre-compiled packages than having to prepare a monolithic build system, edit makefiles, etc. Since ipkg automatically does file downloads, firmware creation could be reduced to downloading the one script build_trx (having installed ipkg) and, eg:
    build_trx dropbear ntpclient speedtouch
    for a 20 second creation of firmware containing those modules only (plus essential stuff like kernel, busybox, squashfs, etc). This could even easily be ported to Windows, or given a web interface.

(that's why I added the line if [ "x${DYNAMIC_INSTALL}" != x ]; then $(IPKG) -d router -f $(TOP)/ipkg.conf -force-overwrite install ${DYNAMIC_INSTALL}; fi)

Dependency management, ability to download from multiple sources with developers being able to work independently on their packages, etc, all come for free.

(2) If you're using an external USB drive/nfs mount/whatever, these same packages can be installed live on the filesystem using ipkg on the router.

I have not much free time at the moment unfortunately so I'm really just proposing some quick ideas. At the beginning of the week I hadn't even heard of the router, but it's a very nice little box!

OpenWRT

Just FYI - OpenWRT implementation + some IPKG packages - see http://www.bud-net.org/soft/asus/OpenWRT_WL500_mod/
    Discussion about development (in Czech language) can be found here: http://www.czfree.net/forum/showthre...&threadid=8857

Quote Originally Posted by Veri
    The "Frog" Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem needs no non-standard kernel mode drivers (just ppp, etc.). The advantage of having a USB modem is that it is just that - a modem.

Ethernet devices either take up an IP address and need securing / router configuration / etc., or need configuring into a half-bridge mode which is broken in some firmware (Conexant, I'm looking at you) and doesn't work properly for multiple IP addresses in the rest.
    Most USB ADSL modem drivers I know only ever give you a single IP, so whether some ethernet devices don't
    reliably support multi-IP settings doesn't seem particularly relevant.

What is relevant, tho, is that ethernet devices seem to all use the completely standard PPPoE protocol which is supported by just about every OS and every router around.
    (and they also allow much longer and cheaper cables).

u can make this a firmware update file... like WL500g-1.8.1.7-3ToSpeedtouch.trx ?

please
    Home Page
    Marco Sousa from PORTUGAL
    [ WL-500g - fw: 1.9.2.7-7e [Oleg] | WL-500gP - fw: 1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63 [Oleg&koppel.cz] ]

Question

where i get mgmt.o ? for my speedtouch 330 USB ?

I try with alcaudsl.sys, but fail..
    Home Page
    Marco Sousa from PORTUGAL
    [ WL-500g - fw: 1.9.2.7-7e [Oleg] | WL-500gP - fw: 1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63 [Oleg&koppel.cz] ]

Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL USB modem project died ?

Hello,

One question.
    Looking in the thread i asume that support for the alcatel speedtouch frog is compiled in the CR firmware releases ?
    Is this so or do i have to fiddl the support in myself.

Hope to hear.

Regards

Niels

No, this is for speedtouch with ethernet port.

Question Some help on this please :)

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    No, this is for speedtouch with ethernet port.
    I'm confused.. weren't you talking of usb modem?

Btw, asus build tools, is the utility available at asus site?

To compile everything, do I need a linux system installed, can I use a cd distro, someone mentioned colunix in a post, but I can't seem to find it..

Well, as Marco Sousa was saying, a custom firmware for speedtouch would be pretty much appreciated (at least in the portuguese comunity), since most of the DSL providers provide costumer with this modem...

But again, if you answer some of these questions I can see if I can make the firmware myself .. even though i'm not quite sure of being able to pull this out

Quote Originally Posted by allegro
    I'm confused.. weren't you talking of usb modem?
    No, we've talked about ethernet modem setup.
    Btw, asus build tools, is the utility available at asus site?
    Sure.
    To compile everything, do I need a linux system installed, can I use a cd distro, someone mentioned colunix in a post, but I can't seem to find it..
    Have you tried googling? http://www.colinux.org/ is the first match.
    Well, as Marco Sousa was saying, a custom firmware for speedtouch would be pretty much appreciated (at least in the portuguese comunity), since most of the DSL providers provide costumer with this modem...
    Well, each provider should build their customized ASUS firmware then. ADSL USB modems uses several chipsets, each requires some firmware, which depends on the telco settings and national regulations.
    So, suppose I could compile this for your cool modem, made by some company A, to work in the country B with telco C. What to do next? Compile the same for yet another user, having another cool modem made by company X, which should work in the country Y with telco Z? This requires too many time for maintaining this and I'm too lazy for doing this.
    I've bought ethernet modem, rather than playing with USB, and I'm very happy with it. At least one thing works.
    USB modems are windows friendly only, in the linux world they're still supported by brave peoples only...

IMHO this thread has already all information you need if you want to get your Alcatel Speedtouch USB (330) working on your wl500g. It took me a few hours to get it working on my wl500g (this was in August, long time ago...) and I haven't experienced any problems so far.
    Short summary:
    1) No, there isn't any support for the Alcatel Speedtouch USB in Oleg's Custom Firmwares, but Veri has provided all the files and information necessary. Upload everything with scp to test it and if it works build yourself your own custom firmware.
    2) The mgmt.o firmware is available here. (hint: it's included in the "Embedded Firmware for Linux users")

wztm, do you upload these apps every time or you've usb drive attached?
    I could make "Custom PPP" mode, so it will be mostly integrated with firmware, this will allow to work most of the things using ppp - analog modems, CDMA, usb dsl modems (but they will need to use additional programs).

wtzm

I built myself another firmware based on your 1.7.5.9-x custom firmware releases. It was quite a tricky task to get enough free space for the modem firmware (about 700k uncompressed!) + pppoa3 + modem_run; therefore I had to delete smbd, nmbd and other stuff I don't really need. I edited the startup scripts to load the firmware and start pppd, so this isn't available via the webinterface .
    It would be great to integrate this functionality into your custom firmwares, so one would just have to supply the modem firmware and change a option in the Makefile.

Ok, I see. Anyway, mgmt.o can't be redistributed legally, so it's not possible to include it to the firmware image anyway. So, it should somewhere like a usb drive. So in order to use USB modem regular users should have USB hub and usb flash/drive attached to the router...
    Is this acceptable by the users? I think most will answer no, they do want to attach modem only...

which versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Veri
    Ok, now compiled with uclibc and its pthreading library. I've thrown all the required parts into ipkg's, which can be installed into the firmware automatically by patching oleg's distribution with the enclosed diff then shoving all ipkg's you want pre-installed into the packages/ directory before running "make". You will need ipkg installed on your _build_ system.
    Veri - first of all, thanks for all the hard work, man

Second - which firmware version did you patch against, and should I patch against broadcom/src/wl500g-W.X.Y.Z or against the broadcom/src/gateway dir.

I tried against the current 1.9.2.7 firmware and the makefile seems rather different from the patch target. Right now I'm both downloading the previous firmware release and (while the GPL archive downloads) looking at getting it working using your non-ipkg instructions.

All the same, the version info would be useful, if not for me then for the next guy. And of course, any hints much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    wztm, do you upload these apps every time or you've usb drive attached?
    I could make "Custom PPP" mode, so it will be mostly integrated with firmware, this will allow to work most of the things using ppp - analog modems, CDMA, usb dsl modems (but they will need to use additional programs).
    Oleg, this will be great! Even with the need for extra storage (Like USB-stick) it will add flexibility for Asus box usage and reliability (I am thinking about using gprs link as fallback)

Regards,
    Roofcat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast