Thread: [Howto]automatically firmware configuration & optware installations (Wengi)

[Howto]automatically firmware configuration & optware installations (Wengi)

Wengis howto is outstanding and always up to date. He explain in an easy and understandable way how to configure your asus-router.
    It allows a newbie as well as an experienced user to configure the router without any problem. Well, but you must have patience, a complete wengi installation can take several hours. Beyond that, you have to do everything manually - even a small fault and everything fails.

In order to follow wengis concept, autoinstall is written for linux-newbies to give them the possibility to turn their router to a full-fledged linux machine. But even for well experienced users autoinstall is a huge simplification - no handcraft any longer!
    Here is autoinstall!
    Due to the fact, that autoinstall is focused on wengis howto, his howto is still the first choice for any bugfixing.

What is autoinstall doing?
    Autoinstall installs the router-part into flash, or installs a complete wengi-installation, or a full-fledged linux installation (according wengi, but much more) and at your choice a ready to use configured webserver lighttpd. Just transmission and swat is not installed by autoinstall, due to a too high variety of different transmission and swat works only with an optware installed samba.

Pre-conditions:
    -Telnet or ssh (dropbear) access to your router
    -existing and working internet connection
    -Stick or HDD with at least 1 GB
    -unconditional umount of any attached storage (umount -l /opt ; umount -l /tmp/mnt/disc0_3 aso.)
    -When an old swap is active: swapoff -a
    -When any process is running from /opt: killall process (there is a lazy umount, hence no much danger)
    -disable Samba, Ftp, NFS Server in your Webif.

Hints: Autoinstall deletes up to 4 Partitions and create new partitions in dependance to available storage. Please do a backup before, any data on the connected device gets lost! (everything acoording Wengi)

Which software is installed and configured by autoinstall?
    -Dropbear and Directory, Keys and post-boot, just if necessary
    -Startfiles are created in your /tmp/local/sbin folder, according Wengis howto, appropriate rights
    -fstab is created in dependance of available storage and added to .file
    -old partitions are deleted and new partitions are created (according Wengis howto)
    A 64 MB Swap Partition when <= 1GB ; 256MB Swap > 1 GB ; opt Partition 1GB (or remainig space)
    and if more space is available, all of the remaining space is used as datapartition
    -The partitions are fresh fromated, swap space is incorporated and partitions are mounted (according Wengi)
    -Startscript rc.unslung is created and stored to /opt according Wengi
    -Ipkg-opt and uclibc is installed, update arranged
    -mc, coreutils, findutils, findutils-doc, diffutils, screen, nano
    ,procps, less, unzip, hdparm, man, man-pages, lynx, nload ,logrotate
    and cron are installed (according Wengi)
    -cron startfile is created (according Wengi)
    -logrotate.conf as well as startfile for syslog is created (according Wengi)
    -profile is created (according Wengi)
    -------------when full & webserver -------------------
    -cmdftp (ftpclient)
    -pwgen (Passwordgenerator)
    -whois (DNS query)
    -which (Path to prgm. X)
    -adduser
    -arpwatch
    -bash with error removal and bas-extension (bashrc)
    -rsync
    -dnstracer
    -iperf (Bandwidth measurement)
    -minicom
    -microperl
    -netcat
    -lighttpd webserver Version 1.4.22-1 (1.4.24-1 has errors!)
    Download is done from an alternative source - this will be changed when a working update is a available
    -lighhtp.conf ready configured for Port 80
    -Webinterface (Router) changed to Port 88
    -wput (ftp client for uploads)
    -util-linux (extensive extensions and enhancements)
    -usbutils
    -tcpflow
    -tcpdump
    -setserial
    -psutils
    -psmisc

Installation, when no device is mounted: (see before - umount -l)

Code:
    cd /tmp/local/root
    wget http://www.irauschek.net/asus/autoinstall
    chmod 755 autoinstall
    ./autoinstall
    Choose in the menu your desired adjustments and start with 6 and enter.
    It can take a while, let the router work......wait until routers reboot!!
    If something went wrong, start over again.
    At last you can control the installation with your browser: http://ip.of.your.router
    You should now see "lighttpd server running". Store your webpages to /opt/share/www
    When you want to be reachable from Internet, open port 80 in routers webif and use a dnydns account.
    ATTENTION: YOUR ROUTER IS REACHABLE ON PORT 88 FROM NOW ON!
    Hence: http://192.168.x.x:88
    If no webserver is choosen, the routers webif is reachable on Port 80.
    FTP and Samba and/or NFS Server can be enabled again.
    If you send me some useful and complete configurations, I'll include them into autoinstall (in the future).
    Suggestions and improvements, reports and error informations are greatly appreciated.
    For any bugfixing and so on, please read Wengis howto before!
    Credit to: Wengi

have fun
    Newbiefan

P.S.: Of course you can exit autoinstall without any installation anytime!!
    Last edited by newbiefan; 24-03-2010 at 22:41.
    Alle HowTo's, all howto's

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

I see you've finalized your creation
    good job

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I see you've finalized your creation
    good job
    Hi wpte!
    well, it's just a part of all. Our project urouter is still alive, will come back to you during the next days.

Autoinstall works pretty good and is easy extendable. Would like to configure everything online (webserver). So urouter should do all the configs.

Have a nice evening / morning ?? Sleep well!
    Helmut

RT-N16 1.9.2.7-rtn-r3121, Samba, VSFTP, Lightthpd, PHP, Perl, MySQL, Serendipity, Aria2web, HDD 640GB
    RT-N66U, 16GB MicroSD/ 2 Partitions, 2,5" HDD 1TB, running with Merlin's FW and Entware, 16 Mbit A1,
    Netgear DGND 3700V2, QNAP TS119PII 4 TB, QNAP TS209 2 TB Raid1, Backup Synology DS107+ 1 TB, HP CP1515n

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Hi wpte!
    well, it's just a part of all. Our project urouter is still alive, will come back to you during the next days.

Autoinstall works pretty good and is easy extendable. Would like to configure everything online (webserver). So urouter should do all the configs.

Have a nice evening / morning ?? Sleep well!
    Helmut
    Well yes, I could configure some things for the online part
    I do think we have to update the current form of the urouter program, now the auto-install has reached it's final form

evening for me as well, I live in the netherlands
    good night

fantastic

Well done.

Thanks for your efforts - have had to go through wengi's tutorial a few times now to get everything working and it takes a few hours to say the least. An auto install is a great idea.

autoinstall will not start

Hi,
    I can not get the autoinstall to start. I have the right permissions 755. But the command will not start. Says autoinstall not found. Thanks in advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by vmoakley View Post
    Hi,
    I can not get the autoinstall to start. I have the right permissions 755. But the command will not start. Says autoinstall not found. Thanks in advanced.
    Just try again, maybe the server was down.
    Do the following after umount everything:
    Code:
    cd /tmp/local/root
    wget http://autoinstall.lima-city.de/autoinstall
    chmod 755 autoinstall
    ./autoinstall
    Please read the entire howto.
    When starting autoinstall from the same directory, consider to start:
    ./autoinstall

(./) ín front of the name autoinstall is important

Enjoy
    Newbiefan

Unmounting

I have a Wl500w. the latest firmware from google. The first issue I have is I am unable to unmount all of the items other than "/". This is the output from the mount command. Are there additional commands to unmount?
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
    none on /dev type devfs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime)

The autoinstall is there and the wget command executed yesterday. I can edit the autoinstall just not exicute it. I did as you directed. And used the ./ that I did not get it to start. Thanks for your help.

Autoinstall

Hi,
    Thanks for your efforts. I got the install done thru the long manual process. Is there a manual process to install the webserver? Thanks!!!

Thanks newbiefan for this! Really helpfull for us Linux noobs I just wished it was available a few days ago efter I followed Wengis howto and set-up my wl500gp router. Things works good, but think maybe I messed up in editing a few scripts (on a mac) and feel safer with the system if I use your neat little tool to configure the router!

Just have a question tho. Will the hdd be completely erased? Got an active ftp and torrent running with some gig files stored on it. Will this be backed up or do I have to transfare it to another hdd first? Just to make things clear before starting the installation.

Thanks for the help and good luck with the project in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by MacWahle View Post
    Thanks newbiefan for this! Really helpfull for us Linux noobs I just wished it was available a few days ago efter I followed Wengis howto and set-up my wl500gp router. Things works good, but think maybe I messed up in editing a few scripts (on a mac) and feel safer with the system if I use your neat little tool to configure the router!

Just have a question tho. Will the hdd be completely erased? Got an active ftp and torrent running with some gig files stored on it. Will this be backed up or do I have to transfare it to another hdd first? Just to make things clear before starting the installation.

Thanks for the help and good luck with the project in the future!
    Well, the script is right now not available due to a server change where scripts are not allowed. Hence there are 3 possibilities:
    1.) wait until next weekend, then I will upload it to an other place
    2.) pm me your email address, then I can send the script directly to you.
    The transfer to your router can be done via putty (when dropbear/ssh is running).
    3.) I send you a link where the script is available for several days.

Regarding your question: yes, the script deletes up to 4 partitions and everything is erased. Therefore a full backup of your data is necessary.

Most important before starting is:
    swapoff -a
    umount /tmp/mnt/disc0_3
    umount /opt
    and of course unmount any other mounted hdd or memory stick.
    Then start just autoinstall and follow the menu.
    Choose a full install and a web server (if necessary) and don't forget to enter your hdd size.
    If a webserver is installed, your routers webif is changed to port 88 and the webserver is running on port 80.
    Newbiefan

Edit: Link is renewed, it means that howto works again without any error
    Last edited by newbiefan; 24-03-2010 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    Well, the script is right now not available due to a server change where scripts are not allowed. Hence there are 3 possibilities:
    1.) wait until next weekend, then I will upload it to an other place
    2.) pm me your email address, then I can send the script directly to you.
    The transfer to your router can be done via putty (when dropbear/ssh is running).
    3.) I send you a link where the script is available for several days.

Regarding your question: yes, the script deletes up to 4 partitions and everything is erased. Therefore a full backup of your data is necessary.

Most important before starting is:
    swapoff -a
    umount /tmp/mnt/disc0_3
    umount /opt
    and of course unmount any other mounted hdd or memory stick.
    Then start just autoinstall and follow the menu.
    Choose a full install and a web server (if necessary) and don't forget to enter your hdd size.
    If a webserver is installed, your routers webif is changed to port 88 and the webserver is running on port 80.
    Newbiefan

Edit: Link is renewed, it means that howto works again without any error
    Thanks! Will try it out during the weekend!

Edit: Successfully installed everything. First time there was a few connection problems to some of the servers when downloading packages, but tried again and now everything is set-up nice and works great! Thanks again for making this autoinstall! This thread should be a sticky!
    Last edited by MacWahle; 27-03-2010 at 20:17.

Please make it sticky

It`s working flawless.

Thanks alot!

Somebody make it sticky!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mihaidenis; 22-02-2012 at 08:30.