Thread: LAN ports die again.....

Thumbs down LAN ports die again.....

Hey guys,
    Bought a WL500g last week. I noticed the well known LAN connectivity problems and tried to solve them by upgrading to 1.9.2.7-4 OLEG's custom firmware.
    Point is that my LAN port still dies: i bought with the router a W100g wireless ASUS PCMCIA card also, and really i cannot find a way to isolate the problem either to the router or the PCcard.
    I tried to use Windows Zero Configuration instead of ASUS still Lan dies. I tried ASUS utility, having this "Constant awake mode" still the same. Reading through the forum, I believed that with the custom firmware this prob supposedly was solved! Anyway, I am planning to use an Intel MiniPCI 2200BG wireless adaptor although i think that it wont solve it again.
    Strange thing is, when trying to reconnect to the router, it takes just a lot of time, sometimes may not even work, so i restart the router.
    Just a question to make, if there is any tool than could monitor my connection and log when the signal dies?

there are no known problems with the LAN ports ? do you have sources for this?

anyway begin with basics first please,
    restore defaults by using the restore button at the back (while power is on)

also specify a clear drawing of your network please

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Cool Wireless LAN ports die actually...

Thx for replying first of all!!
    So, I have a Copperjet 810 aDSL modem/router, which I have configured it as a bridge. this connects to WL500g. Then two laptops are connected wirelessly, one with Asus W100g and the other with a Dlink, i dont remember the model. Both Windows XP, automatic IP configuration.
    My probs started when I tried to use WEP encryption: It was finding the network, but couldn't gain an IP address. I upgraded the firmware to the official 1.9.2.7 from ASUS website, still the same. I used WPA-AES encryption prob solved.
    Then I noticed that Windows were losing connection to router. I dont know if the WAN port was also dying actually, but internet connectivity probs weren't present in this case. Anyways, the only change in 500g's configuration was the firmware upgrade and encryption settings. When I tried to forward ports for P2P sharing software, then after the router's restart I was loosing connectivity to router for both PC's. I reset again to the previous settings, still the same prob. I upgraded to 1.9.2.7-4 (Oleg's), with the same port forwarding still the same prob!!
    I even put the router vertically for low temperature. I also read s'thing about signal power(?), although maximum distance from router is about 8 meters. Thinking also of downgrading the firmware, or dispose that one and get a DLink...

please restore the device completely to it's default, do not use old configuration files but enter them manual

also try with cable when such problems occur (loosing connectivity) to confirm it is the router or the wireless connection..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I have the same problem with USR 9105. I set the modem as bridge... After connecting through PPPoe WAN dies gradually... After a few minutes you can't even ping WAN ip...

Quote Originally Posted by ela002
    I have the same problem with USR 9105. I set the modem as bridge... After connecting through PPPoe WAN dies gradually... After a few minutes you can't even ping WAN ip...
    WAN LAN are 2 different words.. do not mix up please

"Then I noticed that Windows were losing connection to router. I dont know if the WAN port was also dying actually,"

I don't mix them please pay attention to his post.

This router seems to have problems when you are connecting throught PPPoe using adsl modems as a bridge.

vitalstatistix, do you know if Copperjet 810 uses busy linux in the firmware?

Started from scratch, but....

...i have the same problem!!
    I dont really know if Copperjet uses Busy Linux, 'cause actually I dont know a way to check it out. Even when I configured it as bridge, I just used the vendor's configuration software, in which after I made the desired changes, I upload it directly to its memory, meaning there is no realtime changes taking effect. And it is configured as "Automatic IP". i use Speedlinq.
    Anyway, I restarted the router, I also got back to factory defaults. i configured the basics: WAN connection and WPA security. The problems remain, but in significantly less frequency: I changed my ASUS W100g WiFi card, with one Inter ProSET 2200BG MiniPCI. Before getting back to the basics with the router I tried the following: Set the rate to constant 48Mbps and tried the wired connection. The first gave the same probs (loosing LAN con.) though the second didn't give any probs at all. i think it is important to say that using no secutiry, I think that no connection is lost. 'cause i cannot stay wattching the router's behavior all the time, I use MSN: when LAN connection is lost, it disconnects and stays that way. so i understand what happened. it's a little bit unreliable, MSN disconnects even when connection is fully established. possible encryption might be responsible for all this?
    Thx in advance. Sorry for my little bit unstructured thought, I am in a hurry!!

Maybe we can create a thread about what adsl modem/router works or not with ASUS. Maybe some adsl modems don't work well with wl500. Anyone that is 100% happy using adsl connection and PPPoe using asus as a router?